Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: On a side note, Bengals are 4-0

  1. #1
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    On a side note, Bengals are 4-0

    Im 3/4 of the way tempted to write CBS a nastygram and request Steve Tasker never call a Bengals game again. Carr fumbled with around 3 minutes left to go, and "there was no doubt it was an incomplete pass". Well, after review, it was a fumble(and rightfully so), so Tasker went on for the last three minutes to point out how the Texans got screwed and pulled out a video clip of Tom Brady from 2002 to compare it.

    But anyways, penalties almost killed the Bengals today, even though they won 16-10. Im picking Jacksonville for next week, sadly.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,568

    Re: On a side note, Bengals are 4-0

    The officiating crew in today's game really wasn't letting either team play football. It seemed like they were throwing a flag on just about every play.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  4. #3
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,045

    Re: On a side note, Bengals are 4-0

    A few thoughts about today's game.

    The Bengals defense: Giving up 10 points is acceptable, but they have to do better against the run. They showed a few flashes of brilliance, but overall I think the effort could have been better. I'm not complaining about the points given up, but Houston seemed able to drive at will a couple times, only to be shut down in the end or shoot themselves in the foot. Some of the pressure they were able to put on Carr late in the game was I think the turning point, so all in all I think we can say that the defense won this game today.

    The Bengals offense was too inconsistent today. There were some spots where it looked like they were starting to really click and then they would commit a stupid penalty or the drive would just fizzle out. How much can we say it was just an off day, and how much can be put on the O line being somewhat shuffled up today with a couple guys out? I don't know, but they didn't play as well against Houston's defense at home as they did against the Bears defense on the road. I hope this was just a let down and they'll be back to form next week.

    "The Call" Ok, say what you will about the fumble call late in the game. That call could have gone either way. It certainly looked like his arm was moving forward, but who knows if he kept a grip on the ball until the time he released it. The way his arm was hit, the ball could have been coming out of his hand by the time he moved his arm to try to throw. The rule regarding challenged plays is that there has to be irrefutable evidence in order to reverse a call, and I don't think the video provided that. Tough call and were I a Houston fan I would probably be a bit ticked about it. In previous years when the Bengals would lose close games, we would always want to point to a play like that and complain that the ref blew this call or that call and cost us the game. The bottom line then was that they just weren't a good football team and they couldn't overcome a bad call or two here and there. Bad calls will happen and some of them might influence the outcome of a game, but a good team will overcome those and not not let one call cost them the game. Anyway, they were starting to put a lot of pressure on Carr by that point in the game and who's to say that the defense would not have held them on that drive even had they kept the ball on that play. Houston just didn't play well enough to win, regardless of how that call turned out. Some people could argue that the Bengals didn't play well enough to win either, but they did win, and that is what counts in the end.

    The announcers (I never pay attention to their names.) were absolutely awful. I don't know if I've ever seen bias this bad from a network announcer. I had the impression that he was really rooting for Houston to pull the game out. "Here's where David Carr needs to step up and shine. They need to pick up this first down." And on and on. I thought for a second that maybe the network was just picking up the audio feed from Houston's radio guys or something. This was right up there with George Grande's Cardinal love affair, but still inexcusable from a network announcer who is supposed to give an unbiased call of the game. The truth is that the Bengals have been awful for so long that some folks just can't accept it when they start playing well. It's like someone upset the apple cart and they don't like it one bit. Last week we had Randy Cross making his torture comment and now we have this biased garbage to listen to. I hope they find a professional announcer for next week's game, or I'm going to turn the tv down and listen to the call on 1360.

    All in all, it was something of an ugly win, but it was a win. In previous years, the Bengals would have lost a game like that in which the offense wasn't clicking and the defense was giving up big chunks on the ground, but they found a way to pull out the win. It kind of reminds me of the Buckeyes in their national championship season a couple years back. There were so many close games that they very well could have lost but they found a way to win in the end. We can only hope that the end result could be as good for the Bengals, but they will have to play better than they did today for that to happen. Good start to the season though.
    Last edited by OldRightHander; 10-02-2005 at 07:03 PM.

  5. #4
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: On a side note, Bengals are 4-0

    Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    A few thoughts about today's game.

    The Bengals defense: Giving up 10 points is acceptable, but they have to do better against the run. They showed a few flashes of brilliance, but overall I think the effort could have been better. I'm not complaining about the points given up, but Houston seemed able to drive at will a couple times, only to be shut down in the end or shoot themselves in the foot. Some of the pressure they were able to put on Carr late in the game was I think the turning point, so all in all I think we can say that the defense won this game today.

    The Bengals offense was too inconsistent today. There were some spots where it looked like they were starting to really click and then they would commit a stupid penalty or the drive would just fizzle out. How much can we say it was just an off day, and how much can be put on the O line being somewhat shuffled up today with a couple guys out? I don't know, but they didn't play as well against Houston's defense at home as they did against the Bears defense on the road. I hope this was just a let down and they'll be back to form next week.

    "The Call" Ok, say what you will about the fumble call late in the game. That call could have gone either way. It certainly looked like his arm was moving forward, but who knows if he kept a grip on the ball until the time he released it. The way his arm was hit, the ball could have been coming out of his hand by the time he moved his arm to try to throw. The rule regarding challenged plays is that there has to be irrefutable evidence in order to reverse a call, and I don't think the video provided that. Tough call and were I a Houston fan I would probably be a bit ticked about it. In previous years when the Bengals would lose close games, we would always want to point to a play like that and complain that the ref blew this call or that call and cost us the game. The bottom line then was that they just weren't a good football team and they couldn't overcome a bad call or two here and there. Bad calls will happen and some of them might influence the outcome of a game, but a good team will overcome those and not not let one call cost them the game. Anyway, they were starting to put a lot of pressure on Carr by that point in the game and who's to say that the defense would not have held them on that drive even had they kept the ball on that play. Houston just didn't play well enough to win, regardless of how that call turned out. Some people could argue that the Bengals didn't play well enough to win either, but they did win, and that is what counts in the end.

    The announcers (I never pay attention to their names.) were absolutely awful. I don't know if I've ever seen bias this bad from a network announcer. I had the impression that he was really rooting for Houston to pull the game out. "Here's where David Carr needs to step up and shine. They need to pick up this first down." And on and on. I thought for a second that maybe the network was just picking up the audio feed from Houston's radio guys or something. This was right up there with George Grande's Cardinal love affair, but still inexcusable from a network announcer who is supposed to give an unbiased call of the game. The truth is that the Bengals have been awful for so long that some folks just can't accept it when they start playing well. It's like someone upset the apple cart and they don't like it one bit. Last week we had Randy Cross making his torture comment and now we have this biased garbage to listen to. I hope they find a professional announcer for next week's game, or I'm going to turn the tv down and listen to the call on 1360.

    All in all, it was something of an ugly win, but it was a win. In previous years, the Bengals would have lost a game like that in which the offense wasn't clicking and the defense was giving up big chunks on the ground, but they found a way to pull out the win. It kind of reminds me of the Buckeyes in their national championship season a couple years back. There were so many close games that they very well could have lost but they found a way to win in the end. We can only hope that the end result could be as good for the Bengals, but they will have to play better than they did today for that to happen. Good start to the season though.
    WHO DEY, WHO DEY, WHO DEY THINK GONNA BEAT THEM BENGALS:

    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBODY!!!

    LOL, the way they played today, probably not, but 4-0 is 4-0 is 4-0

  6. #5
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: On a side note, Bengals are 4-0

    Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    The announcers (I never pay attention to their names.) were absolutely awful. I don't know if I've ever seen bias this bad from a network announcer. I had the impression that he was really rooting for Houston to pull the game out. "Here's where David Carr needs to step up and shine. They need to pick up this first down." And on and on. I thought for a second that maybe the network was just picking up the audio feed from Houston's radio guys or something. This was right up there with George Grande's Cardinal love affair, but still inexcusable from a network announcer who is supposed to give an unbiased call of the game. The truth is that the Bengals have been awful for so long that some folks just can't accept it when they start playing well. It's like someone upset the apple cart and they don't like it one bit. Last week we had Randy Cross making his torture comment and now we have this biased garbage to listen to. I hope they find a professional announcer for next week's game, or I'm going to turn the tv down and listen to the call on 1360.
    Steve Tasker played for the Buffalo Bills in 1988 IIRC when the Bengals beat the Bills to get to the Super Bowl. I remember back somewhere 3-5 years ago when the Bengals played the Steelers and won that the bias exuberated was downright terrible. This one ranked right up there with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  7. #6
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,453

    Re: On a side note, Bengals are 4-0

    Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    I don't know if I've ever seen bias this bad from a network announcer. I had the impression that he was really rooting for Houston to pull the game out. "Here's where David Carr needs to step up and shine. They need to pick up this first down." And on and on. I thought for a second that maybe the network was just picking up the audio feed from Houston's radio guys or something. This was right up there with George Grande's Cardinal love affair, but still inexcusable from a network announcer who is supposed to give an unbiased call of the game.
    Sorry folks, Houston's the 10th largest TV market and Cincinnati's the 34th. 2 million TV homes will almost always get more announcer love than your 880,000. Just be glad the Bengals weren't playing one of the NY teams. http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html

  8. #7
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: On a side note, Bengals are 4-0

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Sorry folks, Houston's the 10th largest TV market and Cincinnati's the 34th. 2 million TV homes will almost always get more announcer love than your 880,000. Just be glad the Bengals weren't playing one of the NY teams. http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html
    Who has a better record and is the talk of the NFL right now? Not Houston.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  9. #8
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,045

    Re: On a side note, Bengals are 4-0

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Who has a better record and is the talk of the NFL right now? Not Houston.

    Exactly. You want the juggernaut that is the NFL to keep its reputation as the "parity" sport, you'll talk up little guy stories like the Bengals fabulous turnaround.

  10. #9
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,678

    Re: On a side note, Bengals are 4-0

    I think Tasker gets ripped every time he does a Bengals game because he always talks up the other team. They could be playing the '77 Buccaneers and he'd probably still find more good things to say about them than the Bengals. Maybe one of their scouts told him he'd never be anymore than a fourth wide receiver and a special teams standout in his career.

    I was yelling at Palmer for five minutes when he did not simply throw the ball away after he pulled a wrong way Corrigan for about 30 yards. That was almost up there with the Gus Frerotte "shovel pass" against the Browns in LeBeau's last season.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  11. #10
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,680

    Re: On a side note, Bengals are 4-0

    Respectfully WV, I agree with you on the officiating; but I disagree with you on the Carr call. That was an incomplete pass (according to NFL rules). It was an awful call. So was the pass interference call at the end of the 2nd half (first called a TD).

    As far as biases - I didn't really see any. The announcers were saying an awful of of complimentary things and bragging on the Bengals also. Especially Palmer, TJ, and Johnson.

    I'm glad the Bengals won. But I didn't expect the Texans to put up such a fight like they did at Paul Brown stadium.

    I think what came out of this game more then anything may be the injuires that occurred. What is any update?
    Last edited by GAC; 10-03-2005 at 05:42 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  12. #11
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,680

    Re: On a side note, Bengals are 4-0

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    But anyways, penalties almost killed the Bengals today, even though they won 16-10. Im picking Jacksonville for next week, sadly.
    I'm still taking the Bengals after seeing Jacksonville's performance yesterday.

    I think MAYBE the Bengals took the Texans too lightly. Lewis will have them ready for next week.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  13. #12
    Member ochre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,266

    Re: On a side note, Bengals are 4-0

    the ball was out of his control when his arm was coming forward. By NFL rules that is a fumble.
    4009



  14. #13
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,260

    Re: On a side note, Bengals are 4-0

    Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    the ball was out of his control when his arm was coming forward. By NFL rules that is a fumble.
    Thanks. That was the point I wondered about and the announcers never brought up. His arm was clearly moving forward when he let go of the ball, but it appeared to me that when he *started* his arm motion, the ball was already coming out of his hand. And that was the point I was unsure of.

    My wife, who doesn't know football from Adam and could care less about the Bengals, asked if Tasker, etc. were Houston announcers. When *she* notices something like that, it must be pretty blatant.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  15. #14
    Member ochre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,266

    Re: On a side note, Bengals are 4-0

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Thanks. That was the point I wondered about and the announcers never brought up. His arm was clearly moving forward when he let go of the ball, but it appeared to me that when he *started* his arm motion, the ball was already coming out of his hand. And that was the point I was unsure of.

    My wife, who doesn't know football from Adam and could care less about the Bengals, asked if Tasker, etc. were Houston announcers. When *she* notices something like that, it must be pretty blatant.
    Don't get me wrong, it was an extremely close call that could have gone either way. Every time I saw it (granted I have Bengals blinders on ) it seemed the ball was loose and he 'batted' it forward with his arm motion.
    4009



  16. #15
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,702

    Re: On a side note, Bengals are 4-0

    Unless the Jaguars bring an A game they will lose this battle of the large felines.
    Go Gators!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25