Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Study: Teen Girls Leading Sexual Revolution

Study: Teen Girls Leading Sexual Revolution

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/health/5058432/detail.html

SAN DIEGO -- A new study shows that teenage girls are having sex at a younger age than ever before and are taking the lead in dismantling sexual taboos.

According to the study, the percentage of young girls who participate in premarital sex jumped from 12 to 79 percent over the last 60 years, while the percentage of young men who participate in premarital sex jumped from 42 to 71 percent.

The study, which was co-authored by Jean Twenge of San Diego State Univeristy, looked at sex surveys done between 1943 and 1999. It found that the average age teenage girls had sexual intercourse in 1999 was 15. The average age during the 1950s and 1960s was 19. Overall, the percentage of sexually-actively teenage girls in 1999 was 50 percent, compared to 13 percent in 1943.

Twenge said birth control and cultural acceptance are the main reasons for the changes. She does not feel the prevalence of sex on television has contributed as much to the phenomenon as people think.

"Television shows like Dawson's Creek and The OC that show high school sex didn't really show that until it was actually happening in high school," Twenge said. "It was really art imitating life instead of life imitating art."

The study also showed that oral sex is not nearly as taboo today as it was in previous generations. Between 1969 and 1993, the rate of women engaging in oral sex climbed from 42 percent to 71 percent. For men, the rate grew from 48 percent to 72 percent.

"In previous generations, oral sex was considered disgusting," Twenge said. "Now young people see it as another way of being sexual. It's also part of the general trend of sexual behavior moving away from marriage and reproduction and toward pleasure."

The study appears in the latest issue of the Review of General Psychology.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Study: Teen Girls Leading Sexual Revolution

How do I respond to this without leading this thread into a direction that could violate the religion or politics policy? Never mind. I'll stay out of that.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    How do I respond to this without leading this thread into a direction that could violate the religion or politics policy? Never mind. I'll stay out of that.
    You could say what most guys around our age would probably say. "I graduated from high school 20 years too early."

HomeRunKid24

It's not teenage girls leading anything, it's society. You can't watch TV or listen to the radio without being bombarded with sexual innuendo. And especially since you're "not cool" if you don't watch MTV/BET/whatever, which is loaded with it. And being cool starts at a much younger age now. I'm only 21 and it amazes me what you hear these 8-year-old kids talking about. And look at how these little teeny-bopper girls dress. Prostitutes have a hard time competing with that.

So the fact that girls turn into sl*ts at such a young age isn't much surprise to me.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HomeRunKid24
    It's not teenage girls leading anything, it's society. You can't watch TV or listen to the radio without being bombarded with sexual innuendo. And especially since you're "not cool" if you don't watch MTV/BET/whatever, which is loaded with it. And being cool starts at a much younger age now. I'm only 21 and it amazes me what you hear these 8-year-old kids talking about. And look at how these little teeny-bopper girls dress. Prostitutes have a hard time competing with that.

So the fact that girls turn into sl*ts at such a young age isn't much surprise to me.
    Couldnt have put it better myself.

I work with kids where I work, and one girl in particular had been wearing some pretty provocative clothing(halter tops and short shorts when she came in on her off day). She finally stopped dressing that way and when I worked with her a couple of weeks ago, she told me(I did not ask) that the reason she had quit dressing the way she did was because some of the guys there had been making comments about her. I had to bite my tongue to keep from telling her "Well what did you expect?"

Don't get me wrong, IMO, what was said about her by the guys there was not right, but when you dress a certain way to catch a mans eye, more often than not, he will notice.

I think Rodney Carrington put it best(and this is condensed), when he said "I dont care if he wears a collar to work on Sunday and carries a Bible, he's thinking about sex".

But it does take two to tango.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Some chicks link self worth with attention they can get from a guy.

Some select influencial people/groups/organizations have led society down this pathetic road of sexual revolution and lack of personal responsibility.

Parents not being active in their kids lives early on and following the negative fads that would impact their kids lives are a big issue.

Parents....dont take your girls to "Justice" clothing outlets. They sell those sleazy "Hot tart" or "Boy Toy" shirts that scream "14-yr old *****". Dont give them your CC and let them buy their own clothes without your supervision. Become an active participant in their lives and keep an eye on their interests.

Girls are supposed to be past the point to rely on boys to give them a feeling of self worth but society continues to push images of almost naked women dry humping punk-tard hoodlums on MTV/BET/VH1 and calling them Bi-tch's an' ho's...

One thing I will teach my daughter is that she doesnt need a boy to make her feel worthy and any boy making butthead remarks or make my girl feel less of a person gets her foot in their wedding tackle.

I pray to the good Lord my daughter and son grow up well adjusted and understand the negative outcome that will occur if they allow society dictate their morals.

And my rant is over.

Hearing stuff like this really saddens me. 15 years old is way way too young.

HomeRunKid24

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Parents not being active in their kids lives early on and following the negative fads that would impact their kids lives are a big issue.

Parents....dont take your girls to "Justice" clothing outlets. They sell those sleazy "Hot tart" or "Boy Toy" shirts that scream "14-yr old *****". Dont give them your CC and let them buy their own clothes without your supervision. Become an active participant in their lives and keep an eye on their interests.
    Darn right. Like I said, I'm only 21, but I already have an idea of how I'm going to guide my kids through their first 20+ years. I wouldn't be overbearing and controlling, but I think just keeping a loving and watchful eye on what your kids are doing in their everyday lives would make a huge difference.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

She finally stopped dressing that way and when I worked with her a couple of weeks ago, she told me(I did not ask) that the reason she had quit dressing the way she did was because some of the guys there had been making comments about her. I had to bite my tongue to keep from telling her "Well what did you expect?"

Don't get me wrong, IMO, what was said about her by the guys there was not right, but when you dress a certain way to catch a mans eye, more often than not, he will notice.
    Yeah, sure that girl got raped, but she was asking for it. Look at how she was dressed! Yeah, rape is wrong, but you can't dress like that and not expect guys to notice.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Some chicks link self worth with attention they can get from a guy.

Some select influencial people/groups/organizations have led society down this pathetic road of sexual revolution and lack of personal responsibility.

Girls are supposed to be past the point to rely on boys to give them a feeling of self worth but society continues to push images of almost naked women dry humping punk-tard hoodlums on MTV/BET/VH1 and calling them Bi-tch's an' ho's...

One thing I will teach my daughter is that she doesnt need a boy to make her feel worthy and any boy making butthead remarks or make my girl feel less of a person gets her foot in their wedding tackle.

I pray to the good Lord my daughter and son grow up well adjusted and understand the negative outcome that will occur if they allow society dictate their morals.

And my rant is over.

Excellent post smitty.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Yeah, sure that girl got raped, but she was asking for it. Look at how she was dressed! Yeah, rape is wrong, but you can't dress like that and not expect guys to notice.
    Dont know when sexual harrassment became rape, but no, rape is not condonable under any circumstance. Its a violent, selfish act that ruins the life of another individual(boy or girl) and is comparable IMO with murder.

My point is this, guys face a war every day when it comes to dealing with the perversions of the opposite sex. It doesnt matter whether its going to the mall on a Friday night and seeing all the teeny-boppers doing a Paris Hilton impersonation, buying Penthouse at 7-Eleven, dialing a sex hotline, or watching a girl strip on webcam, we deal with it everyday. So when a guy sees a girl dressed in something a hooker couldn't compete with, the other brain tries to take over and it becomes a battle, even for married men and preacher boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Woah! Where did that Von Hayes-like stretch come from? That wasn't Bob Knight posting earlier in the thread, and I don't see Barbara Walters hanging around here...

Memo to teenage girls: if you're looking for attention, you'll find it under "A" in the dictionary.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Quote Originally Posted by HomeRunKid24
    It's not teenage girls leading anything, it's society. You can't watch TV or listen to the radio without being bombarded with sexual innuendo.
    Agree with your point. My daughter is 5 and they're already peddling Bratz dolls that look like hookers during cartoons geared at the under 10 crowd. The commercials/product promote dating to a very young crowd.

Now...I would not buy this product. And they have every right to sell it, but it's just one small example of how companies are targeting very young girls with products that could be viewed as inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Twenge said birth control and cultural acceptance are the main reasons for the changes. She does not feel the prevalence of sex on television has contributed as much to the phenomenon as people think.

"Television shows like Dawson's Creek and The OC that show high school sex didn't really show that until it was actually happening in high school," Twenge said. "It was really art imitating life instead of life imitating art."
    This is a chicken and egg statement if I've ever seen one.

If TV isn't originating the change, it sure as heck is reinforcing it big time. I would challenge the author on this dynamic.

And I've got daughters 15 and 12 so I am in the throes of all this now. If I read the tea leaves correctly, my wife and I are doing pretty well in the battle (says Roy as he crosses his fingers).

But, society does assault teens now from every angle with sexuality, be it TV, radio, cable, pop music, videos, internet, books, magazines, friends, school, etc.. You really have to stay on your toes and continually talk with your child and evaluate what's going on in their lives.

And be a parent, not a pal, and do what the right thing is. It may be not the most popular thing and may not be what the child wants, but your job as a parent is not to be their best friend. There are many times where I'm not a very popular guy with my kids. But I'm confident in what I believe in, so they just have to get over it.

Pay attention to the open sky

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    And be a parent, not a pal, and do what the right thing is. It may be not the most popular thing and may not be what the child wants, but your job as a parent is not to be their best friend. There are many times where I'm not a very popular guy with my kids. But I'm confident in what I believe in, so they just have to get over it.
    AMEM, Roy, AMEN!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Turn Off Ads?