Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ohh Geesh...It's another night on the town, Or why I love my girlfriend.

Ohh Geesh...It's another night on the town, Or why I love my girlfriend.

Okay...So I haven't done this in awhile.

Mainly because I've been dating someone for almost two years now, or maybe I'm feeling ALL of thirty one years old lately...Nonetheless, things aren't quite as wyyyyld and wooly as they used to be.

Btw...I hope I'm not growing older with too much celerity. Can anyone with more "seasoning" fill me in on why the whole tugging down beers with the fellas and whootin' an' hollerin' till five in the A.M. has lost some if it's so called luster? I'mm sure I could go into greater detail about what "used to be", but this is a famileeee board afterall.

That was just an aside, btw...Didn't mean to circumvent whatever flow I had going there.

So, back to the whole reason I decided to bore y'all with this....

Allison (the woman that allows me to call her my Girlfriend) thought it was a good idea to go and see the movie "Thumbsucker" tonight. We went to the 5:30 show so's we'd have enough time to throw back some suds afterward, seein' as though we both work early on the morrow (she's a hairstylist, but you wouldn't know it seein as though I have one of those haidrdos that anyone that owns an electric doohicky could create). It was one of those excellent movies that just make you wanna talk about it for hours on end afterward. So we decided to go to this big ol' English pub called the Rose and Thistle (and no...it's not one of those glorified meat markets, but with an expensive wood bar) because it's close to my domacile. Me, being the gregarious, "when in Rome" type, decided to try something other than my customary Miller High Life(ves), went with something called Strongbow Draft Cider. Let me just say....Yow!

That stuff went down like the sweetest candy imagineable. That, coupled with the Yankees/Angels on one television, and the Blue Jackets/Canucks game on the other made me feel the need to have a few too many.

Let's get one thing straight. Allison is every bit the lady. She won't drink beer, only cocktails, she cusses alot, but only at a tone audible to me, and she's always composed. Thing is. Tonight. She matched me drink for drink, and she drinks whiskey drinks (seven and sevens, Jack and Gingers, etc.)...
    So we commenced to making friends with the bartenders, and exchanged banter with the regulars, and publicly made fun of some girl that asked "Did the Sox win tonight?" whilst thrusting her bosom in a "somewhat" provocative manner towards yours truly. I mean, we really gave that girl the business. Allsion even said something like "Which Sox? Ya moron!". Was it mean? Yeah, but it was really cute.

So, as things went on, I noticed a customer of mine sitting alone at the end of the bar, and I went on about how he always comes into the shop, eats alone, and has a sorta sad quietness about him that just makes my heart go out to him. I said something like "Ya, know, we're all one step away from that...Being lonesome. It makes me sad to think that he's got no one to talk to other than service industry types like myself, and it's really sad..Blubber blubber..."

Her response?

"Well...He could also be a serial killer."

I know it sounds callous, but that's not the point she was trying to make.

She went on to point out that he had two cell phones and a pager, and a wedding band which I had somehow failed to recognize, even though I had seen him numerous times before.

Anyway, my point is that I somehow feel, kinda, errrrr....Grounded. She knows when to let me ramble on about whatever I'm thinking about, as long as I don't cross whatever line that I may or may not even know exists.

In other words, she's got my back.

That's such a strange feeling.

Not only is she pretty and practical, she's the best drinking buddy I've ever had.

Not such a bad deal, huh?

So nothing really overly crazy happens to me all that much anymore. Doesn't mean I'm not happy. Heck, just last weekend I put on a two night Rock N Roll festival, but I also found the time to take her to a Cozy Cat Cottage wine tasting and silent auction to benefit homeless cats.

I can't believe that I just typed that last sentence.

Am I ashamed of that?

Heck no. That was for my Girl, and I've now got room in my life for more than just myself.

Funny what growing up will do for a guy.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohh Geesh...It's another night on the town, Or why I love my girlfriend.

Wheels, I sure am glad you're writing about your life again. It's always been one of my favorite things about RedsZone.

You don't have to have high adventure to be interesting. You're evolving. Go with it.

And keep telling us about it. You've really got a talent, and you're an interesting dude.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

*big grin here*

silent auction to benefit homeless cats.

I do not have the words.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Cool story. Thanks so much for sharing it.

BTW, sounds like you found yourself a keeper! I loved the line "Which Sox? Ya moron!".
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Not Laughing

Nice!....I've spent many a drinking night at the R&T. I think it's that place that brings out the best in everybody.

I'm with you man. I got sucked into my first gallery hop recently...and it didn't suck.

My name is BuckU, and I’m sophisticated…
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    Anyway, my point is that I somehow feel, kinda, errrrr....Grounded. She knows when to let me ramble on about whatever I'm thinking about, as long as I don't cross whatever line that I may or may not even know exists.
    Now that really sums up male/female relations rather well.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I can't believe that I just typed that last sentence.

Am I ashamed of that?

Heck no. That was for my Girl, and I've now got room in my life for more than just myself.

Funny what growing up will do for a guy.
    Welcome to the other side, Wheels.
    FWIW, I think there are two times when this can happen to a guy, first when he comes to the realization about which you have written, and second when he finds himself doing something awkward, personally embarrasing or just plain different from what guys would normally do, such as helping his three year old daughter pee in a public men's room.

We fathers do stuff that would make nonfathers and single guys cringe, but then we also speak a secret language of eye contact with one another that says, "It's good to be a dad, isn't it?"
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Take it from me, Wheels...If you DO ever decide to make your relationship with Allison, shall we say, more permanent than dating...you must make a serious promise to each other. A promise that you two will always try to sneak away to that same pub every so often in order to remind each other of how it feels for a couple to be "in the zone" with one another.

So many times, couples have great chemistry and decide to marry. Then, for some stupid reason, they quit doing the types things that they did while they were dating which allowed that very chemistry to be established. Be it children or be it careers, something invariably happens at that point that keeps a married couple from feeling like a couple anymore.

So--if you truly dig this girl--and you want it to last, then do yourselves a favor and never forget those nights at the Rose and Thistle...

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Take it from me, Wheels...If you DO ever decide to make your relationship with Allison, shall we say, more permanent than dating...you must make a serious promise to each other. A promise that you two will always try to sneak away to that same pub every so often in order to remind each other of how it feels for a couple to be "in the zone" with one another.

So many times, couples have great chemistry and decide to marry. Then, for some stupid reason, they quit doing the types things that they did while they were dating which allowed that very chemistry to be established. Be it children or be it careers, something invariably happens at that point that keeps a married couple from feeling like a couple anymore.

So--if you truly dig this girl--and you want it to last, then do yourselves a favor and never forget those nights at the Rose and Thistle...
    I expect that we will do these things. She likes "coctail time" as much as I do, to be sure.

We've been noticing that alot of our friends that are in relationships are dissappearing from our social life. We were wondering what makes people decide that once they turn thirty, and find someone, to stop going out with friends and yucking it up.

It's really strange, and I don't wanna be like that at all. At least until we have kids or something.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    *big grin here*
    Hey TC...It's a funny thing about your Petey avatar.

My dog, who's name is Casey is the exact same dog as Petey. I even put the black circle around his eye with a sharpie. He used to get all ticked off over it, now when he sees the marker, he grudgingly holds still while I reapply.

So now everytime you post, I think you're rooting for my dog.

Turn Off Ads?