Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chad Johnson

Chad Johnson

Ok. I acknowledge that this kid is very, very talented and has been instrumental in the Bengal's success. I don't know if I'd put him the category of the "elite" yet, but he is very good.

But I'm sorry - I can't stand him simply because of his antics, his big mouth, his irrational emotional volatility, and "me me" attitude when he feels he's not getting the ball enough.

I watched him earlier in the year having an outburst with their offensive coordinator on the sidelines and waving off his teammates and headcoach Lewis when they tried to get him to settle down. He would have nothing to do with it.

Then there was the heated exchange between him and Palmer on the sidelines during the Jag game which was about him questioning Palmer's lack of effort to get the ball to him. I know others may say that wasn't what it was about - but that is exactly what it was about!

Some say he is just passionate about winning and really hates to lose. That may be true, but I'm beginning to think that is simply people making excuses for him. And that is still no reason for his antics and outbursts IMO.

This kid has a selfish, "me" attitude, just like his cousin Keyshawn, Owens, and Moss.

Johnson was hurt Sunday night, he said. He wanted to perform and to win in front of a national TV audience. He was as emotional as he had been since the Dallas game last Nov. 7. He wanted to impress his cousin, Cowboys receiver Keyshawn Johnson, and when he had just eight catches for 74 yards, Chad Johnson grew frustrated.

"Last night, I felt like I wish I wasn't Chad Johnson," he said. "I wish I wasn't good. I swear to God.

Bengal fans have a talented young receiver down there. But I wonder how long it's going to be before his antics (just like some other elite receivers) grows old and becomes a disruption?

It's not about him - It's about the team.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Re: Chad Johnson

He has some growing up to do and i have heard he takes advice from Marvin pretty well.

Alot of his emotional outbursts, i think, stem from trying to back up his trash talk and feel humiliated when he doesnt perform at the level he expects. Which I think has an easy solution... quite talking trash and just go out and play.

I like the guy when he is in a good mood as he is funny, creative and a joy to watch perform but his tantrums when he isnt getting "his" is as ugly as TO or Moss when things arent going his way.

He continues to talk down to Carson, Carson can just as easily stop passing to him in favor of TJ Houshmanzhadah (who is quite capable and much less flamboutant - refuses to dance after a touchdown).

He should be nice to Carson, Chad needs him in order to have the stats he wants so badly. Carl Pickens anyone?

I don't see the Pickens comparison. He wasn't likeable at any time
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

With all due respect to GAC and smith, whose opinions I definitely value, I couldn't think of more off base comparisons than Chad Johnson to Randy Moss and Carl Pickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    With all due respect to GAC and smith, whose opinions I definitely value, I couldn't think of more off base comparisons than Chad Johnson to Randy Moss and Carl Pickens.
    Exactly. Say what you want about his mouth, but the man doesn't loaf. The guy sleeps at the stadium a couple days a week because he's there so late watching films and so early the next morning working out. And do these quotes sound like Carl Pickens:

Johnson wanted to hear nothing of his leaping catch in the end zone, which came off a hellacious pass from Palmer getting run out of the pocket by Hayward.

"It doesn't matter," he said. "The loss takes away the joy."
    "I'm not satisfied with 4-1. The Bengals of old might have been OK keeping it close. We're not supposed to be close anymore."
    Remember when Pickens threw a hissyfit after the last game of a season because he finished with 99 catches, and during the last drive of the game when the Bengals were trying to pull out a win they didn't focus on getting him his 100th? With Johnson it's not about being a me-first stat monster, it's about winning.

The arguement that Chad and Carson don't get along is baseless.

Last season, they drove together to Indianapolis for a Monday Night game to watch Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning work together. They wanted to become like them. Chad said it was because they wanted to see the things that you can't see on tv.....how they interact on the sidelines, thier body motioning towards each other...things like that. The trip was Chad's idea.

That doesn't sound like a "me-me" attitude. That sounds like a player who wants to get better by learning from the best.

He has said publicly that the main reason for the list is to ensure that he gives all that he is made of every single game of the year. It's an inspiration to be the best that he can be. He doesn't want a single team to get the best of him, because that could potentially put his team in line for a loss.

He has said publically that he respects every defense that he goes up against. That's not a "me-me" attitude.

Yes, he's very confident, maybe a bit cocky. But to say that Chad Johnson is all about Chad Johnson in Chad Johnson's mind is not true in my opinion.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    I'm going to go with Boss on this one, well all the points. I respect the opinions of Smith and GAC, good people and all....but this time its my opinion you're both wrong. Chad's a good guy who wants to win, not pad stats. Yeah he loves the attention, but he does it in the setting of team, not 'Chad.'

Now if you said he could be as good as Randy Moss, or he's the best reciever the Bengals have had since Pickens [talent wise] then I'd be ok mentioning him with those names.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Bengals win = what chad does is ok.
    Bengals lose = Chad should just shut up and grow up.

Chad Johnson uses that trash-talk as motivation. He says outrageous things, then feels he has to perform at his highest level to back them up.

I don't have a problem with that.

An unfortunate side effect is that it also motivates the defense to shut him down. However, by focusing on CJ, the opposition allows TJ and RJ a little more room to operate, which benefits the team as a whole.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I'm more bothered by Eric Ghiaciuc's name and hairdo than Chad's woofing. How do you pronounce a name spelled like that for all of you NHL fans? And here is the mug shot, and no that's not Ryan Freel after his post OD party

BTW, found on his profile it is pronounced GUY-check

I think the guy is a little childish, but he's a gamer. The thing he needs is for TJ's hand to heal. That'll get him more passes, period. Then he'll be a gold toothy grin again.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I would be more worried about Rudi Johnson than Chad Johnson.

Yes Chad acts the way he acts, but he also is a hard worker and shows up on time. I see no truth into this whole "beef" that the media is trying to make up between Chad & Carson. Yes, there will be times that you will see them talking or arguing, but that happens on every team... You just dont see it, unless the media wants to make a big deal about it (McNabb & T.O.).

Rudi "Im late for everything" Johnson shows up when ever he wants to.
    Rudi was almost late to another team meeting after he was disiplined for missing a previous meeting. How close was it? close enough were Rudi had to park his car were ever he could (outside of a parking spot), and Marvin ended up having it towed.

With out Chad and his mouth, the Bengals wouldnt get nearly as much attention as they do now.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC

This kid has a selfish, "me" attitude, just like his cousin Keyshawn, Owens, and Moss.

Bengal fans have a talented young receiver down there. But I wonder how long it's going to be before his antics (just like some other elite receivers) grows old and becomes a disruption?

It's not about him - It's about the team.
    As a Tampa Bay fan, I was given the "pleasure" of watching Keyshawn's act for 3 years, and let me be the first to tell you that they are absolutely nothing alike (including talent-wise; Chad has all the physical tools of Keyshawn, but absolutely burns him on speed).

Chad Johnson (like so many fans I know) is just one of those guys that wears his heart on his sleeve. The highs are high, the lows are low, and the man lives and dies on every snap of the football. When he's upset, its because he genuinely feels that he could've done something to change the outcome of the football game. And, frankly, I'm OK with that. It's a football game, players are allowed to get fired up on the sidelines and be hot at themselves and those around them when they don't perform up to the standards they're capable of. Where things get into trouble is when that "hot" attitude spills over into Mondays and Tuesdays. So far, the only thing I see Chad Johnson taking with him week-to-week off the field are his silly trash talking antics, which I find personally to be so outrageous as to lack any seriousness whatsoever.

Right now, in terms of "total package" wide reciever, I'd place Chad Johnson at #2 in the NFL behind only Hines Ward. Sure there are other WRs who might be more physically gifted (namely T.O. and Randy Moss), but their cancerous attitudes eventually lead to problems that their physical tools can't overcome. I don't see that from Chad. There were emotional outbursts on Sunday, but it was already a non-issue by Monday because the team was back to work, as a team, to get ready for the next game.

When was the last time a T.O. or Randy Moss story just died like that?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    I would be more worried about Rudi Johnson than Chad Johnson.

Yes Chad acts the way he acts, but he also is a hard worker and shows up on time. I see no truth into this whole "beef" that the media is trying to make up between Chad & Carson. Yes, there will be times that you will see them talking or arguing, but that happens on every team... You just dont see it, unless the media wants to make a big deal about it (McNabb & T.O.).

Rudi "Im late for everything" Johnson shows up when ever he wants to.
    Rudi was almost late to another team meeting after he was disiplined for missing a previous meeting. How close was it? close enough were Rudi had to park his car were ever he could (outside of a parking spot), and Marvin ended up having it towed.

With out Chad and his mouth, the Bengals wouldnt get nearly as much attention as they do now.
    And Rudi best remember that right now a second year back is outplaying him and doing more for the offense in the early going in very limited playing time. He better take some of that bonus and buy a watch and a good chauffer. That punctuality thing makes no sense, either, when he is so attentive and regimented in his personal workout ritual that has been well publicized.

Perry had a good night, but I wouldn't say he's outplaying him. Rudi's the battering ram that makes Perry's change of pace so effective.

Turn Off Ads?