Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chad Johnson

Re: Chad Johnson

You have to respect the year-in, year-out production that Randy Moss, T.O. and Marvin Harrison (why is he always left out of consideration of the top receivers) provide while always being double teamed, and somtimes triple teamed. They are head and shoulders above all other wideouts in this league.
    Chad Johnson is not in their class in terms of production (just review the stats, folks - it's pretty clear). The first year he scores 15 TDS will be the first for him. The other receivers I mentioned have done it multiple times.

He's a legitimate #1 receiver, but a more accurate comp. would be with Hines Ward, Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds or Joe Horn. Those players are high quality receivers that really help their team. That is what Chad Johnson does. He should be happy with that. He is not a great one.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    You have to respect the year-in, year-out production that Randy Moss, T.O. and Marvin Harrison (why is he always left out of consideration of the top receivers) provide while always being double teamed, and somtimes triple teamed. They are head and shoulders above all other wideouts in this league.
    Chad Johnson is not in their class in terms of production (just review the stats, folks - it's pretty clear). The first year he scores 15 TDS will be the first for him. The other receivers I mentioned have done it multiple times.

He's a legitimate #1 receiver, but a more accurate comp. would be with Hines Ward, Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds or Joe Horn. Those players are high quality receivers that really help their team. That is what Chad Johnson does. He should be happy with that. He is not a great one.
    I'm not sure TDs is the proper stat to evaluate the eliteness of a receiver. I would say # balls and yards per catch is probably a more fair evaluator. Chad plays on a team that likes to run a lot in the red zone and he is not a big guy like TO and Moss to get a lot of red zone TD opportunities, plus he has played on about two full seasons on dog teams that did not score much. With that said, I would probably agree with your grouping as of today. But Chad is probably heading up the ladder, whereas I would say the other guys have reached their pinnacle.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I guess I am just "old school".

I remember guys like Fred Biletnikoff, Lance Alworth, Raymond Berry, Ozzie Newsome, Paul Warfield, Jerry Rice, and others, who were fantastic receivers who didn't have to be the center of attention - showed it on the field, and left it on the field. They were, for the most part, class acts.

To me, a receiver pulling stunts in the endzone after a TD catch, like pulling out a cellphone to call their Mom or performing CPR on the football is all about calling attention to themselves and thinking the center of the universe revolves around them.

To me, it's a form of taunting, is uncalled for and very unprofesssinal IMO. I got upset in the Browns game versus Indy a couple weeks ago when Bryant and rookie Edwards got hit with taunting calls after a catch. It hurt the team in a bad way. OK - you did your job - you caught the ball - the play's over, go back to the huddle.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I guess I am just "old school".

I remember guys like Fred Biletnikoff, Lance Alworth, Raymond Berry, Ozzie Newsome, Paul Warfield, Jerry Rice, and others, who were fantastic receivers who didn't have to be the center of attention - showed it on the field, and left it on the field. They were, for the most part, class acts.
    ...Billy "White Shoes" Johnson was an "old-timer" too. I'd take all of the receivers' antics if all the fat defensive lineman would quit shaking their rolls and flexing their muscles after flopping on a pile when the running back fell down. All of the hot-dogging in the NFL is getting to be excessive and I could do without it, but not just the receivers.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    ...Billy "White Shoes" Johnson was an "old-timer" too. I'd take all of the receivers' antics if all the fat defensive lineman would quit shaking their rolls and flexing their muscles after flopping on a pile when the running back fell down. All of the hot-dogging in the NFL is getting to be excessive and I could do without it, but not just the receivers.
    I agree, which always has me shaking my head over the vagueness of the taunting rules.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?