I never had it

I've never seen the skit
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fourth Annual Redszone Postees Awards

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I never had it

I've never seen the skit
    You must forgive me, multiple concussions you know...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Just in case people need to know

More Cowbell

I can't believe I got three "nominations" for Most Positive.

Long-winded. That's expected.

And I just want to scream "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" when I see rfs being nominated for Most Popular or Nicest! He's got you people fooled!

Last edited by GAC; 12-17-2005 at 08:39 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Most missed poster

Lots of guys come and go, I can say I miss Guernsey, Steve4192, Redstorm and ORG all. Chili has been Lawschooled too, so his appeareances seem to be few and far between. And of course missing since June is Malcontent.

Best tag line

Stats are misleading! - This little one cracks me up.

Best Moniker

I like ones that makes it easier for me to remember who they are, like Blimpie, Hubba, onbasemachine.. all stick in my head better than others.

Most Valuable Poster

No one is bigger than the whole collective of the board, the place really churns out the content, making it easier for one stop baseball reading.

Most Clever

Redsland cracks me up, dry and sneaky. BCubb is the Herb Caen of the board, making observations of the collective and positioning them in a way that makes it ironically hilarious.

Best Armchair GM

I'm going with M2 on this, though he wanted to put DJ at SS last winter and bench Flop But he has been hitting the predictions fairly well this past year. I'd also do with that Princeton feller...but he'd be the first to tell you that.

Best Trademeister

I'm with GL on this, I find it to be the equvalint of cloud watching.

Best Discussion

Pitching, Pitching, Pitching.... pretty much any long winded discussion on pitching. This for me was the year I learned more about pitching than I could remember learning before. The game is so offensive heavy that pitching is going to be micro analylized from the management to the fan level. With giant contracts and injury recovery changing pitching

Best Stats

Steel and Ravenlord have been digging up stuff that I enjoy not having to look for all year.

Worst Typist

gOt A lItTle CApTaiN in Ya?

Funniest

Redsland cracks me up, Blimpie, Pedro and Steel give me many chuckles

Most Long-winded

GAC knows how to extend a point

Most Positive

Redsfan30 has hope that is always shining

Most Negative

You reap what you sow

Nicest

RFS62 and the Teamsters all are too nice as is MWM and Jmcclain

Best Moderator

They all do great jobs.

Most Off-Topic

The music threads always give me great tips

Best Newcomer

Heath and Cyclone came on strong and are enjoyable reads.

Best Outsider

Stewie and MattyMo are good visitors to have around for 3rd party reviews

Lifetime Achievement Award

Boss and Gik are the holders of the flame, without them it's MLB land

Most Tired Topic of the Year

Dunn, face it folks he ain't Pete Rose, he's another animal completely.. doing things you've never seen, most of it great.

Haunted by walks

Most missed poster
    Red Thunder.

Best tag line
    The one that does the little things.

Best Moniker
    OldRightHander.

Most Valuable Poster
    WOY. I've been schooled.

Most Clever
    Redsland. We are Tony Womacks to his Ryan Freel.

Best Armchair GM
    M2. But I've never heard him speak in public.

Best Discussion
    The thread about the impending new ownership, before Cincinnati media were writing about it.

Best Stats
    Is this category a counting stat? If not, then Steel.

Best historian
    Chip R.

Nicest
    The Teamsters.

Worst topic
    Rally-killing lead-off homers.

Best Newcomer
    Big Donkey.

Best Outsider
    I continue to admire MattyMo's gracious good sportsmanship.

RFS62. Can always be counted on to bring insight into the human condition. Except this will probably make him all paranoid and stuff.

Most underrated
    All y'all.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Just as a preliminary: I looked at my info the other day, and realized that I'm approaching the 1-year anniversary of my joining RedsZone (Christmas Day, 2004). It's been a fun year of baseball -- and that's saying something, given how wretched the team has been.

You've all helped me grow as a fan and as a student of the game. I'd nominate you all if I could -- but I can't, so here goes nothing:

Most missed poster
    ORG -- I've read some of his stuff that people have reposted, and the man was a true poet. His love for the great game was evident in everything he wrote. I spent a solid hour before a game hunting down the brick at the GABP one night. Wish I'd been around here when he was.

Best tag line
    Tie: "0 Value over Replacement Poster" and SuperBarry's "Love is all the little things that don't show up in the box score"

Best Moniker
    Danny Serafini. You cannot help but love the name that reminds us of a time when the Reds had truly hit rock bottom in their quest for better pitching. Me gusta Danny Serafini as a RedsZone moniker.

Most Valuable Poster
    This is one award I just can't narrow down. Everyone here provides some input to the board, from Steel, M2, and WOY's tireless research and statistical analysis to the pithy comments from the likes of Krono, FCB, and register...everyone contributes something that makes RZ a great place.

Most Clever
    FallsCityBeer always seems to have something wity to say, he's my nominee for this award because I'm too lazy to think hard about other people who have entertained me.

Best Armchair GM
    Steel, in a nailbiter. Truth be told, I'd gladly turn the Reds over to a front office of Steel and M2. I expect we'd be in contention inside of 3 years.

Best Trademeister
    I'm with others -- I think trade speculation is an exercise in frustration. Inevitably you overvalue your own players while underestimating the shrewdness of other general managers. In the end, everyone is disappointed when the names they're bantering about end up being pie-in-the-sky and you're stuck with Dave Williams at the back of your rotation.

Best Discussion
    I've learned more in 1 year of reading the statistical threads than I have in all my years of watching and playing baseball. I have new appreciation for stats I never knew existed, and I find myself now checking things like GB/FB ratio, K/9, OPS, RC, VORP and BABIP regularly whenever looking up players and prospects. My understanding of the game grows with every one of these threads, and it has made watching the game an even more enjoyable experience.

Talking to a friend the other day about the Reds, I randomly made a comment about BABIP and Brandon Claussen only to recieve the response: "There you go with your stats again." I had to chuckle -- that was my response to the same line of reasoning less than a year ago.

Worst Typist

Even the worst typist on RedsZone is still better than most of my friends in the e-mail I get. So: no comment.

Funniest
    Tie: BCubb and his "Random Thoughts" usually have me grinning, but I can't ignore Redsland and the "Reds Report," which usually elicits multiples laughs whenever posted.

Best Use of Statistics
    SteelSD. He, like many others on here, has made me a better baseball fan.

Most Long-winded
    I like in-depth and thoughtful analysis -- I'll never rip anyone for posting their thoughts in long-form.

Most Positive
    Krusty -- give a man a fish and he'll be full for one day, teach a man to fish, and he'll be full for a lifetime. Give Krusty a fishing pole, and he'll be already thinking of how to swap it for a microwave.

Most Negative
    Shouldn't this one just be changed to "Most Realistic?"

Best Use of an Emoticon
    Anyone who uses this emoticon: :weber:

Aside from that, I loved (traderumor, I believe it was) the signature which featured this little dude :fineprint at the bottom.

Nicest
    GIK and Boss for opening and running this website. They're nice enough to give me an outlet for frustration. It's the only one left since I've been banned/suspended from the Buccaneers BBS for making some choice remarks to a trolling Pats fan following the New England loss.

I've also gotten to spend some time talking with letsgojunior, being that she's a fellow law student and all -- and she's an entrant into this award as well, albeit through channels other than the work that appears on the board.

Best Moderator
    They all do a good job, I can't single out just one (and besides, I don't want my threads locked either)

Most Off-Topic
    The RedsZone 10 and/or Identifying RedsZoners in public

Best Newcomer
    I've been a big fan of the posts made by CaptainHook so far -- and he's more recent than me, so he gets my vote.

Best Outsider
    MattyMo4Life -- he gets an award just because he's gonna have to pick a new moniker out in the very near future. My suggestion: PujolsPorVida.

The Old Red Guard Award
    Macro's discussion of baseball cards this summer and the story about the slumping sales of cards. Some of the posts on that thread, talking about collecting while growing up and how baseball cards went hand-in-hand with the love the game -- there were some great posts on that thread and (maybe more importantly) made me stop and think about how collecting cards was what really kept me tied closer to baseball as a kid than any of the other sports I played.

Best Historian
    WOY. Retire the award, he's a joy to read.

Boss & GIK -- without them, there is no RZ.

Most Tired Topic of the Year
    Trade Adam Dunn / Sign Adam Dunn -- either way, I wish the Reds would just pick something and do it!
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Most missed poster

Gurnesey and Stormy

Best Moniker

Scrap Irony

Most Valuable Poster

I'd have to say three guys here do most of the heavy lifting.... WOY, Steel and M2. But M2 gets my vote this year. His writing ability along with his understanding of the game and wonderful way of expressing himself makes him a must read, even when I don't agree with everything he says.

Most Clever

BCubb and Redsland.

Best Armchair GM

Cincinnati Chili. Wish he'd hurry up and get that law school thing out of the way so he could post more.

Best Trademeister

Doc Scott. Tremendous analysis and insight in everything he writes.

Best Discussion

I still like the discussions delving into the sabr vs. scouting contrast.

Funniest

Puffy, JMcLain and Red Leader. Not funny "ha ha". Just funny.

Best Use of Statistics

WOY and Steel.

Most Long-winded

GAC. I think he gets paid by the word.

Most Positive

SuperBarry11

Most Negative

FCB, but I don't consider this a detriment. He's got the cajones to call it like he sees it, and a tremendous wit. Plus his kid did build us that deck.

Nicest

Team Casey, Team Boone, Team Morris and Team Griffey. Nicest teamsters in history.

Most Absurd Thread

"How to identify Redzoners in Public"

Best Newcomer

Blimpie has made me chuckle, snort, and occasionally guffaw.

Best Outsider

MattyMo

Best Historian

WOY. Perfect blend of statistical analysis and anecdotal reference.

Most likely to succeed award

LarkinFan and Letsgojunior. Two finer young pups I've never known. Both facing many challenges en route to their formidable goals in life. Both make me very proud to call them friends.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Most Valuable
    GIK and Boss (and any other less public owner/operator/CEOs).

Best Moderator
    No award given. A few less chiefs and more indians would make a better cake.

Play of the Year
    GIK and Boss, I didn't like how it ended up but the two of them did reach out to board community in working through the issue of "6 posts a day"? subscriber/no subscriber $$/no money etc...etc.... again, did I mention I didn't like the resolution and subsequent cell division forum spawning but somewhat "democratic process" was certainly evident.

Tables Award
    WOY

Best New Stat
    Raisor, his creation of the Runs Created stat has changed my life. Forever your humble servant Raisor.

Friend in Need Friend Indeed
    OldRightHander seems to be pretty level headed and able to mix with most everyone?

Trade for a PTBNL
    Toss up between M2 and MWM. I forget which is the whiner and which is the pseudo know it all or are they the same person? I also forget which made the laughable attack on me about my economics knowledge. I almost didn't recover. They forced me to in the words of Paul Simon, "And so you see I have come to doubt. All that I once held as true". I'm left wondering does my Economics degree and 3.8 GPA mean anything? Have I been tying my shoes wrong too all these years?

Most Valuable Posters
    Me and anyone else who sticks up (despite censorship) for something other than strikeout homerun loving sabermetric opinions. Otherwise, just forget the "for reds fans by reds fans" and change it to "a sabermetric, strikeout loving, adam dunn loving community"

Rudest and Most Hateful
    Steel Sd. Most people on this board and others agree, disagree, embrace, dismiss, ignore etc..etc.. and take it all in stride without stooping to hate and childish namecalling - not Steel. The poor guy must not have a friend in the world. The ones most needing of warnings, and suspensions slide by unscathed in this forum. It's a shame.

Most Improved
    This would be a better forum if the not so vocal minority opinions were embraced or at least allowed and tolerated. As is the very vocal majority who live on here drown out other voices. Moderators allow this it and encourage it.

Quickest Way to Kill a Thread

See above post.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool

See above post.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals

Trade for a PTBNL
    Toss up between M2 and MWM. I forget which is the whiner and which is the pseudo know it all or are they the same person? I also forget which made the laughable attack on me about my economics knowledge. I almost didn't recover. They forced me to in the words of Paul Simon, "And so you see I have come to doubt. All that I once held as true". I'm left wondering does my Economics degree and 3.8 GPA mean anything? Have I been tying my shoes wrong too all these years?
    Being the astute macro-economic honk that you claim to be, surely you are familiar the term: "demand elasticity." Perhaps, it's just the fact that your shoelaces are too rigid.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool

See above post.
    The guy is entitled to his opinion. Piling on is actually the quickest way to kill a thread because it takes the thread off topic.

Rem

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Come on, RZ, pick yourselves up and get back to the business of recognizing those who deserve it.

Deserve it lol.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?