Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fourth Annual Redszone Postees Awards

Re: Fourth Annual Redszone Postees Awards

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Best Armchair GM

Who would you rather run the Reds than Jim Bowden? Who is the next Theo Epstein?
    I know he isn't a poster, but Dan O'Brien!!! He's great. He used to be with Houston and a few other teams. And he went to Ohio St. Who else would you want!!??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Most Tired Topic of the Year:

Politics. I wish to garsh they'd just get rid of 'em.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Most Valuable Posters

GIK/Boss - Did you log in today to Redszone and noticed that everything worked just fine? Then thank these two guys. Tirelessly and quietly behind the scenes these guys keep the trains running on time, so to speak. Most of all they do it without any of the public kudos - and they certainly don't ask for any attention for doing so. Think about Redszone not being here - we'd all be at *shudder* mlb.com's forums or something worse.

Most Clever

Creek - Always has that biting, witty point to make that is dead on. She's tall, knowledgeable about baseball and smart. Really, what more do you want from a woman?

Most missed poster

Stormy & TeamDunn - Both have been away far too long.

Most Missed Poster who has no business not being around

Raisor - His Redszone membership has been revoked by his new wife, apparently.

Most Positive

TeamCasey - Gotta be TC - she echoes the enthusiasm I hold for Reds baseball time and again. I can see that energy in her posts, like a shining beacon in a fog of mist....yeah....that's it...a shining beacon....

Best Moderator

Tie - all of them. These guys put up with so much grief trying to play the big brother sorting thru our pissing matches. Can't pick just one. Maybe if you Chip a macro sized piece of paint off a zombie, then Reds4life fan Joseph wouldn't be such an ochre. Or something like that.

Best Moniker

Scrap Irony makes me chuckle every time I see the name.

Best New Poster

WilyMoROCKS - Although there were a couple up there for this award

Best Historian

WestofYou - Can anyone else really even be considered for this award? I don't know if tests have yet confirmed if he is the bastard son of Branch Rickey or not. Get back to me on that one.

Best Discussion

Anytime we talking about catching. There have been a couple of times this season where us former knuckle draggers can reminisce and it always brings back good memories.

Worst Discussion

Sac Flies - Dear God - make it stop right now. RIGHT NOW.

The Old Red Guard Award

Crash Davis - Crash's post about ESPN and their loss of the average fan that I still refer to from time to time. Heck that could have been from last year for all I remember. I don't care - it was excellent stuff.

Best use of statistics

M2 & Steel - Not so much a statistic award but more of a "Best Outside the Box thinking" type of award. Both continue to educate me, the engineer, in different ways looking at the game of baseball. Not just from a statistical point of view but from a total "re-think" of how we as fans look at the game. I don't always agree with both or either of you, but you always keep my brain thinking about the game just when I think I have it all figured out. I eat that stuff up so keep it coming.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 12-12-2005 at 10:42 PM.

Worst Typist goes to WV PacMan, unchallenged. Where did he disappear to anyway??????

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    Worst Typist goes to WV PacMan, unchallenged. Where did he disappear to anyway??????
    I was thinking captainmorgan07 for that one. A few capital letters and punctuation wouldn't go amiss. No offense captain.

Do we even need to vote on the historian award? Just give it to WOY.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Most Valuable Posters

Most Missed Poster who has no business not being around

Raisor - His Redszone membership has been revoked by his new wife, apparently.

Yo! I'm here, and posting and everything!

Now, if ya'll want to vote me in as "Best Looking", who am I to argue?

Time for the nominations.

The Categories from last year (any ideas for new categories this year?):

Most missed poster

Who's missed most?

My nominee: guernsey. I really miss guernsey and the knowledge he brought to the board.

Best tag line

My nominee: Puffy's tag lines are always funny, no matter what he changes them to.

Best Moniker

My nominee. I'm going to give this one to Caveat Emporer, although CaptainHook comes in a close second.

Most Valuable Poster

My nominee: Too many to list. M2, woy, Steel, creek, ochre along with the previously mentioned Caveat Emporer and CaptainHook off the top of my head are my favorites to read. But there are plenty of others

Most Clever

My nominee: woy's one liners are always hiliarious, and they're always so darn clever. When I read his posts I feel like the joker in Batman saying "where does he get such wonderful toys."

Best Armchair GM

My nominee: I'm going to give this one to M2. He has a lot of vision about a "plan" that I wish existed in the Reds organization.

Worst Typist

My nominee: captainmorgan07, bar none.

Funniest

For the second straight year, I can't imagine not voting for Puffy.

Best Use of Statistics

My nominee. I'm going to give this one to Steel. He does an absolute fabulour job trying to prove to people why each and every transaction the Reds make are either good or bad. You might not always like to hear what he says, but he's right 99% of the time, if not more. He goes above and beyond to explain things to people.

Most Positive

My nominee: RFS62. Always there to pick you up after you feel like Dan O'Brien just slit your throat and left you to die. I appreciate it, buddy.

Best Use of an Emoticon

My nominee: Sir Krono, maybe only because he has the most opportunities to use them

Nicest

My nomination: Sandy. She's been through hell this year, and still would do anything for anyone at anytime. I real class act.
    Roy Tucker follows very closely behind. Just a great guy any way you slice it.

Best Moderator

They have all done a fabulous job this year. Congrats, and thanks to you all.

Most Off-Topic

My nominee: BadFundamentals. It's always about Dunn and K's, somehow.

Best Newcomer

My nominee: CaptainHook, followed closely by the GARB. Not sure if they both qualify, but I can't remember voting for them last year. They are both great additions to the board, regardless.

Lifetime Achievement Award

Who has provided the most to Redszone for the duration of their time spent here? Someone who has been around since the early days and hasn't skipped a beat. The Frank Sinatra of Redszone.

My nominee: I'm going to give my vote to RFS62. Just a great, deserving man. He has done so much this year following the hurricanes that he deserves an actual national award of recognition, and his contributions to the board over the years are outstanding. You da man!

Most Tired Topic of the Year

My nominee: Dunn and strikeouts. Get over it already. The guy strikes out, big deal. He also produces more runs than anyone else on the team, which is his job on offense.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 12-13-2005 at 09:56 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Most missed poster

Miss the daily Richard Hand expose on typing with both eyes closed? Wish Fox could still regale us with constant rumors from his unnamed baseball sources? Fiind yourself melancholy over the absense of a myriad of former posters? Who's missed most?
    Fox is still around under a different moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Do we even need to vote on the historian award? Just give it to WOY.
    I think we just rename it for him.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Most Missed: Stormy

Stats: M2, Steele

Mods: All of them, of course

Historian: Linedriver

I haven't given the others any thought yet, but these came to my head immediately.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I know there was about 5-10 of us that did game threads for awhile.

I am mainly here to read news... I don't post most (look at the post count )

Anyways, the game thread is where I got most of my Rep Points
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

The Categories from last year (With my nominations under the bold)

Most missed poster

Raisor - but he'll be Comeback Poster of the Year for 2006.

Best tag line

Redslands - "This post needs to do the little things" & SuperBarry11 - "Love is doing the things that don't show up in the box scores" - Hilarious

Best Moniker

krono - proving the quanity DOES way out over quality

Most Valuable Poster

Krusty - the trade ideas are usually off the wall - but I like to read them.

Most Clever

Creek - especially when Dunner gets mentioned in a not-so-flattering light.

Best Armchair GM

Either Steel or M2

Best Trademeister

Same as above.

Best Discussion

Any DanO move.

Worst Typist

captainmorgan - he must have a lil capt'n in him (or her)

Funniest

Redsland's Red Report - or Real Reds of Genius.

Best Use of Statistics

woy.

Most Long-winded

Never insult your bunkmates if they can dock you rep points ( )

Most Positive

Any of the Teams - Boone, Casey, Dunn

Most Negative

See "Most Long-winded"

Best Use of an Emoticon

Me getting dinged for on a few points that I felt were deserved.

Nicest

KittyDuran. - especially after she sent me a team photo and her giddyness - fun to read that stuff.

Best Moderator

Everybody.

Most Off-Topic

jmmclain19's "How to identify RedZoners' in Public"

Best Newcomer

WillyMoRocks got some serious rep points in a hurry - astronomical move man.

Best Outsider

I don't pay attention to that I guess

New Categories

The Marty Brennamen Award

Matt700WLW - when he's working the board

The Old Red Guard Award

Anything with Rasior's Pyth. Theorem of Baseball - the Nationals thread was great.

Best Historian

anyone who has a website called www.deadballart.com might win.

I've only been around since May - I can't vote.

Anything on Brennaman. Dude's been here in Cincinnati as long as some of us have been alive. We know his shortcomings - but face it - He ain't going anywhere. Let him spew his spew and cheer when's right. Case Closed.

Two other categories -
    Most Absurd, Yet Funniest Thread of the Year

It had to be the RedZone 10. I think that one, though not a very positive thread, ought to be archived for sheer laughter.

Best Use of an Avatar

Steel's Calvin's is pretty funny.

I shall now wander away into the good night..
    Last edited by Heath; 12-13-2005 at 12:39 PM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Most missed poster

Stormy, it's been too long.

Best tag line

"In what was destined to be a short-lived spectacle, a chicken, suspended by a balloon, floated through the Samurai bar's doorway." - TRF

Best Moniker

Bad Fundamentals, perfect name for a fundamentally bad poster

Most Valuable Poster

This is a tough one. WOY and RFS62 managed to raise their already ridiculously high bars this year, but I'm starting to think flames jump from Steel's fingers when he's posting because that's how on fire he's been for the entire year.

Most Clever

BCubb, random genius

Honorable mention to Puffy and his trademarked loathing (not to mention his in-depth interview with CBus)

Best Armchair GM

princeton, who never met a box that could hold him

Best Trademeister

Tie - Red Leader and Island Red, they don't propose a ton of trade, but when they do it's almost always a good idea.

Best Discussion

What this board does on draft day is truly amazing. It's two days of great stuff every year.

Funniest

Redsland, we've got a lot of witty folks around here, but Redsland is gut bustling funny.

Best Use of Statistics

Part of Steel being on fire has been his precision use of statistics. He's put on a clinic in the right way to slice the numbers.

Most Long-winded

Normally I'd say it's bad form to vote for yourself, but with Stormy inactive this year I'm forced to say it's me.

Most Positive

Krusty always believes there's a slobberknocker around the corner, bless his heart.

Most Negative

FCB, nobody does it better.

Nicest

Rosie Red strikes me as probably being one of the nicer you'd ever want to meet.

Most Off-Topic

Jim Coombs

Most Absurd Thread

"How to identify Redzoners in Public" deserves an award and I figure this one is as good as any.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39603

Best Newcomer

Yet another crowded field with Blimpie, registerthis, CincyRedsFan30, Ricardo Cabesa, rdiersin, PickOff, WilyMoROCKS, WVPacman, Cyclone792, Heath and 11BarryLarkin11

But, following in Zombie's footsteps, Joseph's gone from newbie to moderator in a single calendar year.

Best Outsider

Stewie, who gives Phillies fans a good name (and that's not easy to do).

Doc Scott's a brilliant PBP guy. CTA513 is probably the most dilligent

The Old Red Guard Award

I don't even know if it was this year or late last winter, but RFS beautifully bridged the stats/seamhead divide, showing us all how someone with a great mind for the game never stops learning. Just a great post and a lesson for everyone know matter how long you've been following the game. I'll include a link to it if I can find it.

Best Historian

WOY has put together a series of historical essays this year that are as good as any baseball history you will read anywhere, ever.

Boss and GIK for starting this whole thing.
    Last edited by M2; 12-14-2005 at 01:37 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Most missed poster

Raisor - but he'll be Comeback Poster of the Year for 2006.

If his wife lets him. :
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Most missed poster

Stormy. He makes me smarter when he posts…err…used to post.

Most Whipped Poster

Raisor, the vows say “…forsaking all others…”. But I don’t think that posting more on Redszone equates marital infidelity. Dork.

Most missed game chatter

TeamDunn. A Reds game, a six pack, and Redszone chat just ain’t as good without TD around.

Best tag line

Not a tag line, per se, but the “Posting to Contact” under Big Donkey’s username made me laugh pretty hard the first time I saw it.

Best Moniker

lollipopcurve. So many generic usernames out there, but you can be pretty sure that you’re on a baseball board when you see that moniker.

Most Valuable Poster

M2. Has nailed the heart of every matter he’s posted about for quite some time. Always a guy you can count on to be here day in and day out.

Most Clever

gonelong's posts make me wish I'd have typed mine that way.

Best Armchair GM

This one is nigh-impossible. There are easily a dozen people on this board I’d rather have running the team than the current FO. So I’m going to go to follow Boston's lead and name Boss and GIK as co-GM’s. If Redszone is run is any indication of how they’d run a MLB franchise, we’d surely be in good hands.

Best Trademeister

Ravenlord. Always thinking out of the box and always coming up with realistic scenarios. Much appreciated effort. Ditto for Red Leader.

Best Discussion

The Eric Milton signs thread. That was a long LONG thread that, in retrospect, became a key reference point that most likely turned a lot of folks on to how bad the Reds situation actually is.

Worst Typist

Eh. Who knows. No name for this one, but if someone posts without actually using paragraphs, that’ll trump simple typos for me.

Funniest

BCubb2003. His “Random Thoughts” threads are a Redszone staple that I look forward to every day.

Best Use of Statistics

M2. Always out-of-the-box and looking at things most folks wouldn’t notice. Ravenlord also deserves a mention because he’s the hardest working guy in show biz when it comes to using metrics. He's an innovator who’s willing to look at things backwards and upside down if it means there’s something to be learned.

Most Long-winded

Me. The next time I’m truly succinct will be the first. I used to think this award perennially belonged to GAC, but then I realized that he’s not really long-winded. He just uses more paragraphs than anyone else.

Most Positive

If you sat Krusty down in the middle of a large room full of horse crap, he’d immediately begin looking for the pony.

Most Negative

FCB. But it’s a realistic negativity rooted in reality and borne of recent Reds history.

Nicest

MWM. He’s the only person on the board that I can confirm will drive my drunk arse around, so it’s more of a “wins by default” thing than anything else.

Best Moderator

Everyone has done a great job under the new system, but I’m going to give this year’s award to Chip because his rundowns of the Hot Stove League radio show are an excellent contribution to the board and an immediate must-read.

Best Chatter

GAC. Like drinking beer at a bar while watching the game with a buddy.

Most Off-Topic

Any number of redundant Player X Sucks! threads. Oh, they’re technically “on-topic”, but you can bet that topic has been covered elsewhere.

Best Newcomer

Tie between Big Donkey and Joseph. One of the reasons Redszone is so great is that every once in a while you learn about what’s going on before anyone else. Big Donkey is a HUGE contributor to that and Joseph learned how to swim in the shark tank quicker than just about anyone ever.

Best Outsider

Stewie. And MattyMo is always a welcome read. And can someone please confirm that ramp hasn’t slit his wrists?

I’m going to just give props to the whole Reds Live board. Every game, there’s someone there to pick up the baton. Well done.

The Old Red Guard Award

Article: "Stats vs. Scouts: Do We Need to Choose Just One?". The whole thread.

Best Historian

WOY. If I were watching “Baseball- A Film by Ken Burns”, I’d want WOY sitting next to me so that I could ask him for accuracy checks.

traderumor. Incredibly passionate, articulate, and active. Even when disagreeing with tr, his positions force me to learn more about the topic.

If I hear one more word about a recliner in the Reds clubhouse, I’ll break something.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?