Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Introduction

  1. #16
    The wino and I know bucksfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    NW OHIO
    Posts
    3,039

    Re: Introduction

    Welcome lual. I have been to Southport and Liverpool as my boss is located in Lathom. He is a huge Wigan fan and has taken me to a game there, so I am learning more about European football. Pretty exciting they are in the premiership this season.

    Hope you enjoy the board and the Reds for many years to come.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Lual
    Guest

    Re: Introduction

    nice one lads

    another quick question

    can you actually meet the players before the game?

  4. #18
    You know his story Redsland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    7,714

    Re: Introduction



    To answer your question, generally not, although it's possible to get an autograph if you're lucky. After the game, on the other hand, you may run into players if you're near their parking lot.
    Makes all the routine posts.

  5. #19
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,980

    Re: Introduction

    Hey, if you can get high-speed internet, how about you tryout MLB.TV for your games. You may not be able to watch the games at 2 a.m. in the morning, so it may not be worth the bucks(pounds)

    I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall for 3 1/2 years form '93 to '97.

  6. #20
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,042

    Re: Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsland

    After the game, on the other hand, you may run into players if you're near their parking lot.
    There's something about running into players in the parking lot that doesn't sound right.

    Anyway, it's interesting that you're into baseball over there, while I sit here and watch Premier League matches during the baseball off season. I think that may be more popular here than baseball is there, but I still find a small amount of amusement in the coincidence. There's one thing I'm curious about though. I get a channel on my digital cable that used to be called Fox Sports World but they recently changed the name to Fox Soccer Channel and now that's the only sport they show on there. They used to show Aussie rules football as well before they changed the name. They show quite a few EPL matches every week, but it seems that they focus primarily on the good teams and you don't see too many of the teams farther down in the standings, unless they are playing one of the top teams. So basically I get to watch Arsenal, Chelsea, and Man U a whole lot during the winter and there are some other teams I might never see or maybe only see one match. Is baseball coverage like that over there as well, basically a whole lot of Yankees and Red Sox and not much coverage of teams like the Reds and the Pirates? I'm just curious.

  7. #21
    Lual
    Guest

    Re: Introduction

    unlucky at having to watch the dire Goon' Chelski and ManYooooo - you into football much then?

    as for baseball coverage - on NASN they will show a mix of games, but on channel 5 which is a free channel, its pretty much the mainstream teams - its basically the 8:30 sunday night game you guys get on ESPN

    as the season gets near to the end - then its the better sides on constantly, as they are in the playoff race

    we had the Cards Reds game - you know the one im talking about, no need for me to explain

  8. #22
    Lual
    Guest

    Re: Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    Hey, if you can get high-speed internet, how about you tryout MLB.TV for your games. You may not be able to watch the games at 2 a.m. in the morning, so it may not be worth the bucks(pounds)

    I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall for 3 1/2 years form '93 to '97.
    i would - but i dont own a credit card, so thats ruled that out - as my debit card dosent deal in dollars

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    They show quite a few EPL matches every week, but it seems that they focus primarily on the good teams and you don't see too many of the teams farther down in the standings, unless they are playing one of the top teams. So basically I get to watch Arsenal, Chelsea, and Man U a whole lot during the winter and there are some other teams I might never see or maybe only see one match. Is baseball coverage like that over there as well, basically a whole lot of Yankees and Red Sox and not much coverage of teams like the Reds and the Pirates? I'm just curious.
    I get the fox soccer channel and I would disagree that they only broadcast Arsenal, Chelsea and ManU matches. I'm a Liverpool supporter and they broadcast most of their matches. If they miss a match, there is always one of the preview shows to provide the highlights. As for other teams, they always get broadcast when they play on a non-weekend day - nearly all those games are broadcast. Liverpool is my favorite, but I try to keep track of Middlesbrough (middle and lower range finisher in the premiership) and they are on pretty often as well.

  10. #24
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,042

    Re: Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    I get the fox soccer channel and I would disagree that they only broadcast Arsenal, Chelsea and ManU matches. I'm a Liverpool supporter and they broadcast most of their matches. If they miss a match, there is always one of the preview shows to provide the highlights. As for other teams, they always get broadcast when they play on a non-weekend day - nearly all those games are broadcast. Liverpool is my favorite, but I try to keep track of Middlesbrough (middle and lower range finisher in the premiership) and they are on pretty often as well.
    Come to think of it, I have seen a few more teams lately, but maybe it was just my dumb luck that every time I turned it on to watch a match, it was one of the "popular" teams. I haven't gotten into watching the highlight shows much because I don't really support one team in particular.

  11. #25
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,042

    Re: Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by Lual
    unlucky at having to watch the dire Goon' Chelski and ManYooooo - you into football much then?
    I wouldn't really call it unlucky. I don't really have a favorite team, but I do enjoy watching the matches, and it seems like I just have poor timing that every time I have turned it on there to watch a match lately, it's been one of those teams playing. I'm pretty much into most sports, your version of football and ours as well. When I was in college, our school didn't have an American football team, but I had some friends on the soccer team and I was always watching their games. I kind of got into the game a bit back then and have been watching the Euro teams whenever I could get them on tv. I eventually gravitated to the EPL just because they always seemed to get more tv coverage over here and it seems to be a better level of play than what we have in MLS.

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Introduction

    The best part of the EPL is the pace of play. The English Premier League has really improved in the last five years or so and even the bottom finishers have some quality players. The difference between them and the big spenders like Chelsea, ManU and Arsenal is still evident, but it has raised the overall level of play, which is the ideal.

  13. #27
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,042

    Re: Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    The best part of the EPL is the pace of play. The English Premier League has really improved in the last five years or so and even the bottom finishers have some quality players. The difference between them and the big spenders like Chelsea, ManU and Arsenal is still evident, but it has raised the overall level of play, which is the ideal.
    That is primarily the reason I watch that league more than the others. I like a game that has some good pace to it instead of seeing teams crawl up and down the field with no apparent thought to speed.

  14. #28
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    41,654

    Re: Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    That is primarily the reason I watch that league more than the others. I like a game that has some good pace to it instead of seeing teams crawl up and down the field with no apparent thought to speed.
    Their is also good mix of styles too, not all smashers or in the air teams, and some of the best set plays you'll see in the sport IMO.

  15. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,261

    Re: Introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    The best part of the EPL is the pace of play. The English Premier League has really improved in the last five years or so and even the bottom finishers have some quality players. The difference between them and the big spenders like Chelsea, ManU and Arsenal is still evident, but it has raised the overall level of play, which is the ideal.
    Although thanks to Wenger's our-squad-is-good-enough arrogance and the Board's visegrip on the club wallet, my beloved Gooners are going to have their hands full just qualifying for the Champions League this year. Fortunately I haven't had to watch the particular brand of crap they've played this year since I am temporarily without FSC.

    Chelsea represent everything wrong with sports, but if you can forget that they are profoundly evil from their robber baron sugar daddy down to their scumbag captain, they are impressive to watch.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25