Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Couple Big Games In the Big Ten Today

A Couple Big Games In the Big Ten Today

MSU @ OSU (noon) and Penn State @ Michigan (3:30)

It really pees me off that OSU is now trying to "salvage" their season after two losses in games that, IMO, they should/could have won. They're giving Tressel hell over Columbus for his putrid (and predictable) offense, which is last overall in the Big Ten. Their defense is first overall in the Big Ten; but that just shows that no matter how good your "D" is, if you have no offense, you can kiss any chance at a National title goodbye.

I know, I know - they won it back in 2002 with a solid defense. But they also had some semblence of an offense too.

MSU's offense is second in the nation only to USC. I think it's gonna be another long day for the Bucks (even at home). The game this week pits the Big Ten's No. 1 defense (Ohio State) against the league's most prolific offense (Michigan State). The Buckeyes, who enter the game at 3-2 and 1-1 following the 17-10 loss at unbeaten Penn State last week, are allowing 166 yards a game. They lead the Big Ten in total defense, scoring defense and rushing defense and are second in passing defense. The Spartans, who are 4-1 on the year and 1-1 in conference play, are averaging 560 yards and 46 points a game. They lead the league in rushing, passing, scoring and total offense.

Ohio State leads the series with Michigan State 23-12 and has won 12 of the 19 games played in Columbus. The Buckeyes have won three in a row from the Spartans, including a 32-19 decision last year in East Lansing. Michigan State's last win in Columbus was a 28-24 decision in 1998 that knocked OSU from the unbeaten ranks and out of the national championship picture.

I'm a Michigan fan this weekend only. Hope the Wolverines can do to Penn State what they did to Michigan State earlier this year.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: A Couple Big Games In the Big Ten Today

This year's Buckeye offense has made fans miss Craig Krenzel. No small feat—although I always thought Krenzel was underappreciated.

I'm glad that today's game isn't televised here. The only 2 Buckeye games televised here this year were Texas and Penn State.

Krentzel was a smart QB. He wouldn't throw for huge amounts of yardage, but he was smart. knew how to read defenses, and was efficient with the passes he threw.

"Tuck n Run" Smith has yet to show that he possesses any of those qualities. But did I mention he can run?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Ted Ginn was supposed to be this big star, and now look at him. Just pulled off a dumb move by trying to field that punt and fumbled. He has been a complete bust this season. Luckily for the Buckeyes, the MSU team goofed up on the FG and allowed OSU right back into the game. They should have spiked that ball and then attempted a FG.

Do you feel better about Ginn now, OBM?

It's the big 11
    Go Gators!

Spoke too soon, eh?

But he was supposed to be doing that every game, instead of once every four games. No doubt the kid is talented but he still has a way to go before we can consider him one of the best players in the country. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Spoke too soon, eh?

But he was supposed to be doing that every game, instead of once every four games. No doubt the kid is talented but he still has a way to go before we can consider him one of the best players in the country. JMO.
    I agree that he's been underwheming this year, so I was just giving you a tweak. I believe that part, perhaps a big part, of Ginn's performance is the result of opposing defenses limiting his opportunities

If one didn't know the final score and who won, and just looked at the stats - total yardage, time of possession (which was huge), 4 turnovers -there would be no way they would have thought OSU won this game.

UGLY UGLY UGLY

John L has to be livid in that post-game locker room.

C'mon Wolverines!

P.S. - Troy Smith still isn't a QB - no patience, never lets plays develop. Just call him Tuck.

I was kind of hoping Minnesota would upset Wisconsin, too. Give the Buckeyes some breathing room in second place.

This was an ugly win. Maybe it proves that the Buckeyes were just a couple of defensive and ST breaks away from winning at Penn State last week? Mostly, I think this game punched Troy's ticket to continue as the starter. :

Oh Yeah - Smith, with his 249 yds passing and 3 TD passes, "cemented" himself. But what bothered me was the poor judgment and missed opportunities in several passing situations when he doesn't allow the play to develop (receiver's route).

Each of the 3 Buckeye starting LBs had 10+ sacks today. That's probably the most impressive stat of the game.

Some interesting tidbits in CBS Sportsline's GameBlog.

"The announcers brought up a good point. Where have Anthony Gonzalez and Roy Hall been today?"

"The Ohio State faithful give a mock cheer, as Holmes is able to field the punt return cleanly. There is no need for that from the fans, as these guys are doing their best out there. These kids don't show up to the job of the plumber in the upper deck and give a mock cheer when he is finally able to snake a toilet or unplug a drain after having difficulty most of the day."

"2nd Quarter - :00, MSU 17, OSU 14
    Wow. Coach John L. Smith looked like his head was going to explode walking off of the field. He clearly threw his coaching staff under the bus for sending out the field goal unit quickly, causing mass chaos for the Spartans. The touchdown was just what the doctor ordered for Ohio State and is a big shame for Michigan State. They clearly outplayed the Buckeyes in the first half, creating three turnovers. However, a botch by the coaching staff gives the Buckeyes a gift. As poorly as Ohio State has played, they find themselves only down three."

OSU defintely "escaped" in this one. OSU made theire mistakes on the field. MSU made theirs on the sidelines.

How did OSU play Texas so well?

I agree that MSU's offense did some very good things. And the Buckeyes got a break (and capitalized on it) when MSU coaches had a brain cramp. BUT to cite the statistics of time of possession and # of 1st downs is just inaccurate if you're trying to make a case for MSU superiority in that game. A team is not going to have a large # of 1st downs or TOP with the 3 very long offensive scoring plays they had. Buckeyes made tons of mistakes the 1st half and Troy missed some open receivers downfiled. But they did plenty of good too.

As for Ginn, people are so quick to build a kid up and so quick to tear a kid down. I get tired of both. He's a kid just coming off of an off-season dealing with a scary health situation with his father. He'll do some great things and he'll still make mistakes.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit today. It was some fun college football and I am glad I was there to see it.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan
    I agree that MSU's offense did some very good things. And the Buckeyes got a break (and capitalized on it) when MSU coaches had a brain cramp. BUT to cite the statistics of time of possession and # of 1st downs is just inaccurate if you're trying to make a case for MSU superiority in that game. A team is not going to have a large # of 1st downs or TOP with the 3 very long offensive scoring plays they had. Buckeyes made tons of mistakes the 1st half and Troy missed some open receivers downfiled. But they did plenty of good too.

As for Ginn, people are so quick to build a kid up and so quick to tear a kid down. I get tired of both. He's a kid just coming off of an off-season dealing with a scary health situation with his father. He'll do some great things and he'll still make mistakes.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit today. It was some fun college football and I am glad I was there to see it.
    I think the total yardage to time of possesion and first down ratios really paint the most accurate picture. For as sustainably good as MSUs offense is, their defense is that much worse. For as "bad" as the (OSU) offense played (I do think they played bad), the MSU defense was able to one-up them in putrescence. I wish the OSU defense could come out and shut teams down from the first series on. That's the real difference between the '02 D and this year. It takes this D a series, a quarter, or in the case presented Saturday, a half to figure out the other teams scheme. I think they miss D'Antonio. I'm starting to feel that they will soon rival the Bengals (PM- PreMarvin) for una-mind, nepotistic cronyism within the coaching staff.

Turn Off Ads?