Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Digital phone service

Digital phone service

I'm thinking about getting away from Dish Network- their customer service reps drove me crazy all summer with a billing issue that took 3 months for me to fix. Anyway, I was looking at a flyer from Time Warner cable about digital phone service. Anyone know anything about this- it's performance and reliability and so on?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Digital phone service

I don't have this service but have been deterred because when the cable is out or there is no electricity, there will be no phone service (unless you also have a cell). Traditional phone service is not affected by either of these things.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

We have TW here in San Antonio. I know some people here who have the digital phone service and are very happy with it. I don't have it, mostly because the notion of not having phone service when the power goes out is troubling to me. Plus, digital phone service is not compatible with my home security system.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I have it from Time Warner. Best damn thing ever. I got a package deal since I already had Road Runner. Sixty-nine bucks for cable modem internet and unlimited calls anywhere in the 50 states and Canada. Thirty-nine for the digital phone alone if curious.

Contrary to what the phone companies and long distance people want you to believe, it's not hooked up to your computer(not sure with others like Vonage). Your computer doesn't have to be on, it has it's own modem and ISP . Not working if the power goes out is true, but to me tha's not a negative.

I've had it since like July and it's worked flawlessly. I highly recommend it if you make or want to make alot of long distance calls.

I'll call my buddies who are in other states and put them on speaker phone, then we fire up Diamond Mind or another online game and have at live and damn near in person.

Hope that helped, I'm sure some have had different experiences.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer
    I've had it since like July and it's worked flawlessly. I highly recommend it if you make or want to make alot of long distance calls.
    I've had it for months and haven't thought about it since its been installed. Nice to call all you want.

If you have a cellphone I wouldn't worry about outages knocking your phone off-line. I have lived in my present house for 2.5 years and we haven't lost power for more than 10 seconds in that time period.

GL

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I had Vonage for a while and just recently switched to Time Warner because of a promotion they have going where you get the digital cable, internet, and phone for $90. a month. Vonage and Time Warner both worked fine, but the Vonage hooks to your computer through a router and Time Warner's service doesn't have to hook up to your computer.

I had Vonage when I first moved to El Paso, but switched to Packet8 because Vonage didn't come thru on their El Paso area code promise. I was using a 714 area code. I finally switched to Packet8 about 10 months ago and now have the 915 area code and I have also another number for the 714 area code. Service is usually as good or better than traditional phone service.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    I had Vonage when I first moved to El Paso, but switched to Packet8 because Vonage didn't come thru on their El Paso area code promise. I was using a 714 area code. I finally switched to Packet8 about 10 months ago and now have the 915 area code and I have also another number for the 714 area code. Service is usually as good or better than traditional phone service.
    That's another reason I switched away from them. I got tired of having a 937 area code and they never did get the 513 available.

Turn Off Ads?