Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the jobs at in Ohio?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Where are the jobs at in Ohio?

I have been trying for over 6 months now to find a new job. I have filled out many applications and sent out even more resumes. I finally crumbled last week and went to a temp service only to be told that I didn't have enough experience for them to help me find a job. They specialize in office jobs, and I pointed out to the guy that on my resume I have office and sales experience, but he said that since my experience was five years ago it doesn't count.

I'm flat out fed up with having to work double shifts. Last week I worked 17 hours on Monday, 9 hours on Tuesday, 16 hours on Wednesday and 16 hours on Thursday. This week I work 16 hours on Monday, 12 hours on Tuesday, 18 hours on Wednesday and 14 hours on Thursday. Having a fiancee that you never get to see, and an apartment that you never get to spend time in really sucks. I can't just quit because I have bills, but I don't want to work in this field anymore, and apparently my experience doesn't mean anything. Life dealt me some bad cards back in college and I never got to finish my degree, but I hope to in the future.

Apparently the Dayton area is not the place to find employment. Where in Ohio are the jobs at?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Re: Where are the jobs at in Ohio?

Ohio National Guard?

Just a little joke.

But I hope you find your dream job soon. I'm rooting for ya.

Try Columbus. A city that is actually growing with a wide range of business.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Where in Ohio are the jobs at?
    i'm hoping Clifton or i'm screwed.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    i'm hoping Clifton or i'm screwed.
    What kind of job are you looking for?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    What kind of job are you looking for?
    since i don't have a car anymore, one i can walk to is about my only concern i have (public transportation requires money). i'm not picky, and i'm availble 24 hours.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I pointed out to the guy that on my resume I have office and sales experience, but he said that since my experience was five years ago it doesn't count.
    Wow! That's like saying because you graduated from college five years ago, your education is null and void.

Someone suggested Columbus, but I'm relatively sure you can't just up and leave Dayton. I don't know what you're looking for but think outside the box. If you're looking for an office job (or even sales, for that matter), widen your horizon beyond corporations, small offices.... try providing resumes to radio stations, TV stations, hospitals, supermarkets (Kroger, Meijer, Biggs, etc)... drag out the phone and start going through it. All these places have offices and some even have sales positons.

And don't forget to call places back after you apply. The squeaky wheel gets the grease... and that's true. When a position opens, they'll remember the person who bugs them over the one who never followed up. And, contrary to popular belief, most places do NOT go back in their files and pull resumes when a job comes up... they contact people who they've heard from most recently. If you keep calling, you'll be one of those people.

Also, have you tried the unemployment office?

Keep plugging, you'll find something better than what you have... though with all the hours your putting in, I don't know how you're find time to look.

Good luck!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Very good point by TeamBoone: "And don't forget to call places back after you apply. The squeaky wheel gets the grease... and that's true. When a position opens, they'll remember the person who bugs them over the one who never followed up. And, contrary to popular belief, most places do NOT go back in their files and pull resumes when a job comes up... they contact people who they've heard from most recently. If you keep calling, you'll be one of those people."

One of the reasons I landed my initial job with the company I'm with now is because I was the only person that sent the initial interviewer a note thanking them for their time and reiterating that it was a position that I was really interested in. As a direct result, I got an interview with a 'higher-up' and, ultimately, the job. The point being that, when you see a job that you really want, do whatever you can to let them know.

Having said that, how in the world do you find time to even interview for another job with a work schedule like that? That's a 'Catch 22' right there.

Good luck.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog

Having said that, how in the world do you find time to even interview for another job with a work schedule like that? That's a 'Catch 22' right there.
    That's one of the big problems right there, I don't have time.

And no GAC, I live in Miamisburg now, right down the street from the Dayton Mall.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    That's one of the big problems right there, I don't have time.

And no GAC, I live in Miamisburg now, right down the street from the Dayton Mall.
    I listen to a financial show on the radio from time to time (www.daveramsey.com). When people call him concerning financial problems, most of the time he says to deliver pizza's four nights a week for extra money. Dave says you can make around $1500 a month

(Depending on your delivery area).

This way you could look for a job during the day time.

Best wishes.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I have been trying for over 6 months now to find a new job. I have filled out many applications and sent out even more resumes. I finally crumbled last week and went to a temp service only to be told that I didn't have enough experience for them to help me find a job. They specialize in office jobs, and I pointed out to the guy that on my resume I have office and sales experience, but he said that since my experience was five years ago it doesn't count.

I'm flat out fed up with having to work double shifts. Last week I worked 17 hours on Monday, 9 hours on Tuesday, 16 hours on Wednesday and 16 hours on Thursday. This week I work 16 hours on Monday, 12 hours on Tuesday, 18 hours on Wednesday and 14 hours on Thursday. Having a fiancee that you never get to see, and an apartment that you never get to spend time in really sucks. I can't just quit because I have bills, but I don't want to work in this field anymore, and apparently my experience doesn't mean anything. Life dealt me some bad cards back in college and I never got to finish my degree, but I hope to in the future.

Apparently the Dayton area is not the place to find employment. Where in Ohio are the jobs at?

You still live around Piqua sava? Because Addeco is the main supplier for Honda and it's suppliers. And they are always hiring temps. My wife got on at Honda Transmission last April as a temp (she needed to get out of the house now that the kids are pretty grown), and they are getting ready to hire alot of full time associates once the expansion is completed. They told my wife to put her application in, but she is still mulling it over.

You're not gonna get much in the way of benefits, but they start you out around $12/hr and you work your way up to around $16-$18 I think.

You're actually working full time. The "hitch" is after your term is up (2 years), they have to lay you off for 30 days to keep the "temp" classification. But if you are a good worker, they bring you right back again. I see it happen all the time.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Hey Sava,

And have you had any help critiquing the resume? There are lots of people here at Redszone who can probably help.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    Hey Sava,

And have you had any help critiquing the resume? There are lots of people here at Redszone who can probably help.
    No, I haven't.

Sava, describe the job you're looking for.

Cincinnati has a conservative yet diversified economy. Lots of jobs here.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Sava, describe the job you're looking for.

Cincinnati has a conservative yet diversified economy. Lots of jobs here.
    I'm not too picky. I'd like to work between the hours of 7 AM and 5 PM Monday-Friday, office work would be nice as I learned that I'm not cut out for factory work having suffered 16 concussions over three years in an auto plant, not to mention the getting caught in a paper sheeter, driving a spike into my hand, etc. I was just lucky to leave there with all of my body parts.

Oh, and I'd like to make at least $9.00 an hour.

Turn Off Ads?