Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA Introduces New Dress Code for Players

NBA Introduces New Dress Code for Players

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051018/...ltBHNlYwM3MTY-

By DOUG FEINBERG, AP Sports Writer Tue Oct 18, 1:02 AM ET

NEW YORK - There will be no more dress down days in the NBA.

The league announced in a memo to teams on Monday that a minimum dress code will go into effect at the start of the regular season on Nov. 1.

Players will be expected to wear business casual attire whenever they participate in team or league activities, including arriving at games, leaving games and making promotional or other appearances.

"If they're trying to change the image of league, that's cool," Suns forward Shawn Marion said.

While the league may be trying to present a better image to its corporate partners, some of its players fear that they may lose out on the core fan base.

"We don't really sell to big business," Suns guard Raja Bell said. "We sell to kids and people who are into the NBA hip-hop world. They may be marketing to the wrong people with this."

Some teams already have their own dress code in place.

Portland coach Nate McMillian is known for his strict rules, including bans on headbands and on cell phones on the team bus.

"It's important that the players understand they have to respect the game," McMillian said in August. "They have to respect the league. And they have to respect the fans. You must be a professional at all times."

Players will no longer be able to wear:

_Sleveless shirts

_Shorts

_T-shirts

_Chains, pendants, or medallions worn over the player's clothes.

_Sunglasses while indoors

_Headphones (other than on the team bus or plane, or in the team locker room).

Also jerseys and baseball caps will no longer be acceptable attire for postgame press conference.

"I think there needs to be some style improvement but at the same time it has to be with in reasons," Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett said.

Players will also now be required to wear a sport coat on the bench when they are not in uniform. The NBA already requires its coaches to wear sport coats, dress shirts, slacks and shoes on the bench.

"I think it is appropriate, definitely, on the bench," Marion said. "I think you should be in a nice shirt and slacks."

However, the new dress code may not be practical for every NBA player, especially Garnett and his teammates who live in the cold Midwest.

"Not everyone lives in Minneapolis going out in 20 below," he said. "Not everyone wants to be in a suit and jacket. Hopefully they can go 50-50."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: NBA Introduces New Dress Code for Players

Quote Originally Posted by savafan

While the league may be trying to present a better image to its corporate partners, some of its players fear that they may lose out on the core fan base.

"We don't really sell to big business," Suns guard Raja Bell said. "We sell to kids and people who are into the NBA hip-hop world. They may be marketing to the wrong people with this."
    I wonder if they realize that the hip-hop image is one reason that some of us are turned away from the NBA. If they could do something about that image, maybe they could broaden the fan base somewhat. I like the game of basketball, but I don't watch the NBA because of the connections with the whole hip-hop culture. The NBA has taken what used to be a good team sport and turned it into a showcase for flashy individual players, with the exception of a few teams that still know what it means to play as a team. If I want to watch basketball, I'll stick with the college games.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I don't see too many "kids" or people in the "hip-hop world" sitting in the first few rows at the Spurs games. He needs to think about who's paying for the expensive seats.

I read where Marcus Camby wants a clothing stipend to cover this.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I think some players forget that they are PROFESSIONAL athletes and they are expected to behave like a professional. Besides, if a guy can't look cool in a good suit, then there isn't much hope for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

Interesting note I heard related to this the other day on TV. They talked about how the Knicks were the only team in the NBA to have a dress code and it was put in place by Isiah Thomas his first day on the job. I think his code amounted to being required to wear a tie and suit jacket to and from games and when traveling. Looks like the rest of the league has taken notice.

Now if they could do something about the baggy shorts. If they come below your knees, they're not shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Now if they could do something about the baggy shorts. If they come below your knees, they're not shorts.
    Please don't bring back short shorts
    Go Gators!

I turned away from Basketball because it is boring. It's just a bunch of 1 on 1 break downs now. The art of passing the ball is dead for the most part.

I could care less how they dress when they aren't on the court.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Please don't bring back short shorts
    Surely they could find some middle ground between the really short ones and what they wear now. They look completely ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I turned away from Basketball because it is boring. It's just a bunch of 1 on 1 break downs now. The art of passing the ball is dead for the most part.

I could care less how they dress when they aren't on the court.
    I agree, ecspecially in the NBA. Hard to respect a "professional" who can't make a jump shot consistently, let alone a free throw.

And while I don't care what they wear either off the court, or think it'll make a damn bit of difference ultimately, the hip hopiness of the players in that league really turn off a LOT of mainstream people in this country.

I really have no idea why people enjoy the NBA, go to games, or give a lick about it honestly, it bewilders me to no end, it is the most God awful boring sport I can think of next to Auto Racing and pro Hockey. I can barely tolerate college basketball anymore either, it's really gone downhill.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    I agree, ecspecially in the NBA. Hard to respect a "professional" who can't make a jump shot consistently, let alone a free throw.

And while I don't care what they wear either off the court, or think it'll make a damn bit of difference ultimately, the hip hopiness of the players in that league really turn off a LOT of mainstream people in this country.

I really have no idea why people enjoy the NBA, go to games, or give a lick about it honestly, it bewilders me to no end, it is the most God awful boring sport I can think of next to Auto Racing and pro Hockey. I can barely tolerate college basketball anymore either, it's really gone downhill.
    wooooaah - easy on hockey.

the "new" nhl looks great - hope they keep it up.

Im with ya on the NBA and Auto Racing.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...p.asp?ID=17692

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana guard Stephen Jackson believes the NBA's new ban on bling-bling is racially motivated, but says he will abide by the rules.

The NBA has announced that a dress code will go into effect at the start of the season. Players will be required to wear business-casual attire when involved in team or league business. They can't wear visible chains, pendants or medallions over their clothes.

Jackson, who is black, said the NBA's new rule about jewelry targets young black males because chains are associated with hip-hop culture, and he said the league is afraid of becoming "too hip-hop.'' In protest, he wore four chains to the Pacers' exhibition game against San Antonio on Tuesday night.

Boston Celtics star Paul Pierce agreed that the new rule targeted young, black players.

"When I saw the part about chains, hip hop and throwback jerseys, I think that's part of our culture,'' Pierce said. "The NBA is young black males.''

Philadelphia's Allen Iverson also was critical of the new rule, which the NBA made teams aware of in a memo Monday.

"I feel like if they want us to dress a certain way, they should pay for our clothes,'' he said. "It's just tough, man, knowing that all of a sudden you have to have a dress code out of nowhere. I don't think that's still going to help the image of the league at all.''

Added Golden State guard Jason Richardson: "They want to sway away from the hip-hop generation. You think of hip-hop right now and think of things that happen like gangs having shootouts in front of radio stations.

Richardson added that nicer clothing wasn't necessarily the best way to determine the character of the players.

"You still wear a suit, you still could be a crook,'' Richardson said in Oakland, Calif. "You see all what happened with Enron and Martha Stewart. Just because you dress a certain way doesn't mean you're that way.

"Hey, a guy could come in with baggy jeans, a do-rag and have a Ph.D., and a person who comes in with a suit could be a three-time felon. So, it's not what you wear, it's how you present yourself.''

Jackson defended his actions on Wednesday, but said he won't allow his feelings to cause a distraction once the regular season starts.

"They don't want your chains to be out, all gaudy and shiny. But that's the point of them,'' he said. "I love wearing my jewelry. But I love my job. I love playing basketball more than I love getting fined and getting suspended.''

Jackson said he had enough problems last year, when he was suspended for 30 games for his role in the November melee between Pacers players and Detroit Pistons fans in Auburn Hills, Mich.

"You have to listen to the people who employ you,'' he said. "The people who are paying us make the rules. You need to abide by the rules or don't work. I want to work.''

Pierce, who said the matter should have been brought to the players' association for a vote, said there are times he may not follow the rule.

"I dress how I feel anyway,'' he said. "I think I'm just going to continue to dress how I feel. I think there's some days I may take a fine.''

Jackson first made his displeasure with the new rule a public matter on Tuesday. He said he hasn't heard from the league office, and doesn't expect to.

"I still have freedom of speech, don't I?'' he said. "I didn't disrespect anybody by saying it, so I can say what I want to say.''
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I don't care for Jason Whitlock normally, but he has the best take on this situation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...k/051020&num=0

7. NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue needs to follow David Stern's lead and institute a dress code in the NFL.

As someone who routinely wears throwback jerseys and otherwise prefers to dress casually, I see nothing wrong with the NBA's requiring its players to come to work dressed professionally.

The players are on TV from the time they step off the bus to enter the arena or stadium. Why not force them to project a professional image? It's a good message to the fan base, and it's a reminder to the players that they're in a "business environment" when they're playing a game.

Too many pro athletes view themselves as rappers forced to play football or basketball. They decorate themselves with all of the latest prison tattoos and whatever clothing line 50 Cent has popularized.

Stern is not attacking youth culture, hip-hop culture or black culture. He's running a business and trying to improve the profitability of his league.
    Personally, I have no problem with injured players wearing their own team's colors and paraphernalia on the sideline, but agree that some sort of dress code would be appropriate for travel, etc.

Philadelphia's Allen Iverson also was critical of the new rule, which the NBA made teams aware of in a memo Monday.

"I feel like if they want us to dress a certain way, they should pay for our clothes,'' he said.

Gee Allen, when I go to work at Marriott I have to abide by a dress code. Unfortunately, they don't pay for my clothes either. But hey, drop me your phone number. If you can get the NBA to go along with picking up the clothing tab I'll want to get your advice on how to get Marriott to join that trend.

Your friend,

Rem

Turn Off Ads?