Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Golfers here?

Golfers here?

Just curious. I laid off the game for a long time and just picked it up again this year. Mostly, I go to a cheap par 3 in town, but it's really shaping up my short game. For some reason, now that I'm getting gray hair, it's a very appealing pursuit.

Who else is golfing?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Golfers here?

I played all through my yute.

However, I can never find the time anymore.

I went last Saturday for a scramble and two weeks before that at a Par 3. I wish I could go more often but with work and cost and a lack of playing partners I haven't gone out too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I don't get to play as often as I would like, usually due to lack of time or lack of a playing partner. My wife doesn't feel inclined to take it up and not too many of my friends play, so I usually end up going by myself. I think I made it out four times all summer. I usually go to Winton Woods or that 18 hole course the city of Fairfield has. Both of those are right by my house.

I propose an outing next Summer.

I'll play. I've not played good this year at all though. I play at weatherwax in Middletown a fair amount, 4 great courses there. My best this year was a 44, not too hot.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    I'll play. I've not played good this year at all though. I play at weatherwax in Middletown a fair amount, 4 great courses there. My best this year was a 44, not too hot.
    You're out, ringer.

Oh, I totally suck. I was playing with my dad on father's day (he's a mid 80s golfer) and he turned to me on one hole and said, "I've played that hole about 200 times, with about 50 different guys. Can't say I ever saw one play it that badly."
    Scratch players, need not apply. Heck, if you even know your handicap, you won't want to play with me.

I play a little, (not as much as I would like, usually 10-15 times per year) as does my wife and 8 year old son. I love the game and usually score in the low to mid 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    I play a little, (not as much as I would like, usually 10-15 times per year) as does my wife and 8 year old son. I love the game and usually score in the low to mid 80's.
    Randy's out, too. Am I selling this outing idea, or what?

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I like the idea. I am something of an inconsistent golfer. I have been known to shoot an 80 one day and a 90 the next. I am by no means a scratch golfer. Maybe we should do it the same weekend we go to the ball games and maybe we can catch some of the out of towners as well. Play a round on Saturday and go to the game that night. That's a pretty good day by my measure.

Probably the best way to do this is kinda how we did our scramble last weekend. We had teams of 3 and had one guy on each who was pretty good, one guy who was about in the middle and one guy who wasn't that good.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

We could play best ball. That way, I'll have a good time even if ORH is the one carrying the load for me.

Tiger Woods: "Hey Charles, did you know where they're going to build that new super Wal Mart?"
    Charles Barkley: "No. Where?"
    Tiger Woods: "Between your ball and mine."

I would play, but my clubs aren't in cincy with me.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Weatherwax is one of the best kept secrets in the Cincinati area. Fantastic 36 holes and very affordable. I've played there several times. Hueston Woods in Oxford is a great course and has a $25 with a cart green fee after 3:30. But the course I've played most often is a crappy little muni in Hamilton called Twin Run. I've played there probably 50 times throughout the years and my dad playes there probably 25 times a year. That's where all the guys at his plant use to always play.

The best deal in town is Blue Ash. It's a great course and it's only something like $28 to walk. I love the Vineyard out in Anderson Township. It's a great layout and not too hard and not too expensive.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

I play golf often but after reading all this, no thanks, I couldn't play with you guys. If I shot a 90 that would be good for me. I play for the fun and the open air and get your mind off of everything.
    But the last couple times I played I ended up with the same caddy. A very smart ass. Here are a couple of things he said to me .

I asked if he thought my game was improving? he said, "Yes sir, you miss the ball much closer now"

I asked, Do you think I can get there with a 5 iron? he said, "Eventually"

I asked, Do you think it's a sin to play on Sunday? he said, "The way you play, it's a sin on any day."

I asked, How do like my game? he said, "Very good sir, but personally, I prefer golf."

I asked him to please stop checking his watch all the time, it distracts me. he said, "It's not a watch,,,,it's a compass."

I said, this is the worst course I've ever played on. he said, "This isn't the golf course, we left that an hour ago."

I mentioned that this can't be my ball, it's too old. He said, "It's been a long time since we teed off."

Fed up with him at this point, I said, You've got to be the worst caddy in the world. he said, "I don't think so sir,that would be too much of a coincidence."

He is now in the lake by the 8th hole, along with my clubs.

Turn Off Ads?