Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refurb TV amazingly causing me problem

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Refurb TV amazingly causing me problem

I bought a refurbbed Sanyo 30" wide screen CRT Sunday when I read they were selling for $299 at value city. We got it and brought it home and got it up and running and it was working great.

The next day, I decided to use the component connectors (I have a DCT6200 motorola cable box) instead of the normal rca inputs and when I got everything back to normal, the tv began giving off a real annoying and obnoxious hum/buzz sound.

I found if I tilt the tv back (this thing aint light, ill tell you that) the sound would fade out but when level, would make the sound. I put my Patton DVD under the front (God bless that man, still serving his country....lol) and it would stay quite but eventually came back so I leveled it and it then went away again..

wash, rinse, repeat...

Any clues what the heck it is? Power supply? Tube going bad and need it repaired already?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Refurb TV amazingly causing me problem

I thought Value City sold furniture. My bad. But, I'm sure that they have quality televisions as well.....

This store is in Lancaster....Its basically Schottensteins light.

Its just called "Value City" where as the furniture store is "Value City Furniture".

I heard nothing but good things about it saying its a great bang for the buck and stuff.

Hopefully someone with a little knowledge in the area could help me direct my fury.

You probably already did this, but are the component cables hooked up right?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

WAGS

yeah i would check the cables

and then if it still does that i would buy a new set probably

Try hooking up a different cable box or DVD player. Sometimes stuff just doesn't match up right. The DishNetwork guy had to come here three times for similar stuff.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I agree with the other posters that something probably isn't plugged in right.. I'd plug in one thing at a time and try to narrow down which wire is causing it.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I know on component cables sometimes the colors are close to the audio cables and it's easy to plug the cable into the wrong hole. Not saying that's your problem, but I have done it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    I thought Value City sold furniture. My bad. But, I'm sure that they have quality televisions as well.....
    It was actually sold as an Ottoman.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Its not the cables folks... I disconnected everything just to see what it would do and the sound still occured.

I ended up throwing a DVD under the center of the tv which is lifting the component board up to stop the sound (whatever is causing it).

I am going to have to heave it to the TV doctor next week pending it doesnt explode before then.

If your cable box has a volume and the tv has its own volume also, sometimes if the tv volume is up too high, it will cause the tv to humm loudly. Try turning the tv volume down and turn the cable volume higher. This always works for me when my kids have played with the volumes and mess them up. Good Luck!

Are you still able to return the TV to the store? I didn't realize it still made the noise when nothing was connected. The set is defective, I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to fix it or worrying about jerry-rigging it in another few months.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

i have 90 days for repairs. The problem is its 150 flippin lbs!

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    i have 90 days for repairs. The problem is its 150 flippin lbs!
    I'd still return it.. An evening of dealing with the weight is a lot better than a lifetime of screwing around with it.

Just seems like something that will grow tiresome. The trick you have now might only work temporarily.

Is the warranty good for in home service?

Here is a refurb 30" Philips HDTV for 416.40 after promo code.

http://www.electronicsnation.com/en/...od_id/30PW8420

Use code KD0F98R8FF at checkout and the price drops from 499 to 416.40

You can even add a 2 year or 4 year warranty.

I believe the seller lives in Dayton.

Turn Off Ads?