Turn Off Ads?

Thread: America Online to Lay Off 700 Employees

America Online to Lay Off 700 Employees

In the customer service department. From my experience with them, I didn't know that they had customer service. None of the people that I did speak to spoke English, and none of my problems were ever solved.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/10/19/D8DB8O3G0.html

America Online is laying off more than 700 employees, primarily in member-services call centers, in response to the ongoing decline in subscribers for its dial-up Internet-access services.

Under the plan, the Time Warner Inc. unit is closing its center in Orlando, Fla., and is cutting positions in centers in Jacksonville, Fla., and Tucson, Ariz., and at AOL's corporate headquarters in Dulles, Va.

The cuts amount to about 4 percent of AOL's 20,000 global work force. The company hasn't announced layoffs of this magnitude since December 2004.

AOL said the job cuts were driven by declining subscriber numbers, and were not engineered to attract potential strategic investors.

A number of suitors are interested in taking a stake in AOL's growing, advertising-supported online content business, including Microsoft Corp., Yahoo Corp., and a team-up of Google Inc. and Comcast Corp.

These players aren't interested in AOL's access business, which is large and highly profitable but declining as consumers shift to faster broadband access services. As of June 30, AOL had 20.8 million U.S. members, down 917,000 from the March quarter and 2.6 million from a year earlier. In Europe, AOL had 6.2 million members, down 99,000 from the previous quarter and 80,000 from a year earlier.

"We're at a point in time where it makes sense to realign our access business," said AOL spokesman Nicholas J. Graham. "A lot has changed regarding our membership and access business and we're managing that transformation."

Time Warner shares slipped 10 cents to $17.63 in afternoon trading Wednesday on the New York Stock Exchange.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: America Online to Lay Off 700 Employees

I hope these cuts don't impact the volume of CDs they shower on the world.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I can't quite understand why anyone would ever have America Online. They just happened to be the first big internet service and they did a great promotion job I guess.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    I can't quite understand why anyone would ever have America Online. They just happened to be the first big internet service and they did a great promotion job I guess.
    AOL did a good job (as does Microsoft now) of convincing newbies that they NEED aol or MSN to be on the net, that there is no other choice.
    Go Gators!

. . . and those everpresent cds made it easy to get online quickly while you were waiting for the cable guy to come and hook up your modem, not to mention when you were using the internet in several different locations. Then cancelling your service was, well, not quite as easy as advertised.

Let's just say that I hope that the workers continue to come to work and draw paychecks for several months, saying the notices informing them of their termination weren't filled out properly.

I still have an AOL account and only keep it for the email and for my parents. My parents are in their 80's and AOL is still one of the most user friendly programs out there. It keeps my parents connected to the rest of the family in FL and other places. And my Dad loves using the messenger feature. He actually get more personal email than I get...
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

AOL is the Internet with training wheels. Most people don't need training wheels anymore.

I used to like it when AOL came on floppies. They made great scratch devices for my kids to take stuff to school with.

Once they went to CDs, it was a direct path from mailbox to trash bin.

Nowadays my kids use USB memory fobs. Times change.

It's about
    the ball,
    the bat,
    the mitt,
    the bases,
    and the fans

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    AOL is the Internet with training wheels. Most people don't need training wheels anymore.
    You stole my response, almost word for word. The only good thing about AOL is the free "coasters" they send me in the mail every so often.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    You stole my response, almost word for word. The only good thing about AOL is the free "coasters" they send me in the mail every so often.
    I think AOL's more immediate problem is that they either failed to recognize in time, or failed to adapt their strategy effectively to, the rise in broadband connections. There is "AOL for Broadband," but by the time most AOL users were ready to graduate to broadband, they were savvy enough to leave AOL.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe
    Then cancelling your service was, well, not quite as easy as advertised.
    This was my problem. I called to cancel, and the customer service rep tells me not to cancel now, but that he would give me three free months to switch over all of my e-mail and let my friends and family know that I would be having a new e-mail address. Three months later I called to cancel again and this time, a female customer service rep won't let me cancel even though I persisted and demanded that I had deleted AOL off of my computer and no longer used it. She gave me two more free months of AOL that I would never use. Two months later I call back to cancel and another customer service rep tries to tell me that I couldn't cancel at this time, and I told her that yes, I could, that I was and that was all there was to it. I demanded to cancel my subscription and told her that I was no longer using the AOL service. She dejectedly obliged.

Two more months go by and I get a delinquent account notice from AOL demanding that I pay them for services. I call up the customer service department to complain and they tell me that my free months of AOL ended on July 1 and I didn't cancel until July 2, so I owed them for the entire month of July. I told the person that that was ridiculous to charge me for an entire month of service when I cancelled a day late for a subscription that I hadn't used for five months to that point. She checked the records and said that I was correct, that I had not logged onto my AOL account for five months but that was there policy to bill when the billing cycle started. I complained that I had tried on two previous occasions to cancel and wasn't permitted, but she said that didn't matter and asked me to make my payment now. I went into an obscenity laced tirade and slammed the phone down as hard as I could. They called me every morning, Monday-Sunday, at 7:00 AM for an entire month. I quit answering the phone, and they turned me over to a collection agency. That's fine, but on principle, I'm not paying this. They'll get their money when they wrestle it out of my cold dead hand.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by tixe
    Let's just say that I hope that the workers continue to come to work and draw paychecks for several months, saying the notices informing them of their termination weren't filled out properly.
    LOL, it took me 6 months to cancel from those guys. I'm convinced that part of their business model is to hope that consumers don't monitor their credit card bill carefully after they cancel.

Considering that you have to wait about 30 minutes in the queue to get customer service, I thought they were running with a skeleton crew already.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?