Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 'Bud Pong' pulled; brewer shocked beer used in game

'Bud Pong' pulled; brewer shocked beer used in game

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...g_x.htm?csp=34

ST. LOUIS (AP) Anheuser-Busch (BUD) will discontinue a national promotion called "Bud Pong," a drinking game the company says is supposed to be played with water.

However, participants in the game played with a ping pong ball and plastic cups often were drinking beer as they lost points, according to a front-page story Sunday in The New York Times.

The No. 1 U.S. brewer has been promoting Bud Pong competitions since July, supplying tables, balls and glasses to wholesalers across the United States.

Players on one team try to sink a ball into another team's liquid-filled cups. If successful, the opposing team must drink.

Anheuser-Busch says the game's instructions called for water to be consumed during play, not beer, which is the company's main product.

"It has come to our attention that despite our explicit guidelines, there may have been instances where this promotion was not carried out in the manner it was intended," Anheuser-Busch spokeswoman Francine Katz said in a statement Tuesday.

Katz says the promotion was meant to provide a fun activity at bars.

"However as a company that has invested more than $500 million to promote responsible consumption among adults and to discourage abuse, we believe it is important that our intentions with Bud Pong not be misperceived. While we will continue to bring interactive promotions to bars and taverns for those of legal drinking age, we are ending Bud Pong."

Anheuser-Busch CEO Patrick Stokes said recently that the company is trying to promote beer drinking as it loses market share to other alcoholic beverages like spirits and mixed drinks.

The nation's leading brewer has launched separate nationwide promotions to encourage beer drinking. Anheuser-Busch is distributing recipe books to encourage bartenders to mix beer cocktails using ingredients like grenadine and tomato juice.

Contributing: Reuters
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 'Bud Pong' pulled; brewer shocked beer used in game

"I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!"

Pay attention to the open sky

I hear the Feds are going to pull quarters off the market... something about them being used in a game called "Quarters" that involves drinking too!!

yeah....yeah...yeah....best idea ever. a game which entails drinking WATER in a BAR. no...a perfect idea. how could this idea have ever failed?

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Anheuser-Busch (BUD) will discontinue a national promotion called "Bud Pong," a drinking game the company says is supposed to be played with water.

However, participants in the game played with a ping pong ball and plastic cups often were drinking beer as they lost points, according to a front-page story Sunday in The New York Times.

"It has come to our attention that despite our explicit guidelines, there may have been instances where this promotion was not carried out in the manner it was intended," Anheuser-Busch spokeswoman Francine Katz said in a statement Tuesday.
    Gee... a beer company promoting a game where you are supposed to use water? Yep... I am sure Anheuser-Busch employees say this with a straight face.

How long until Evian starts promoting beer drinking games? Makes sense, right?
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Wait.... isn't Budweiser water anyway?

Wait.... isn't Budweiser water anyway?
    Sex in a canoe.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Players on one team try to sink a ball into another team's liquid-filled cups.
    that's obscene!
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Man, whatever happened to just playing "Hi Bob"?
    Only with water, of course.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?