Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Saints hosed

Saints hosed

Called a defensive lineman for a phantom holding call on the last play of the game (missed field goal)? Awful.

I'm not a big fan of the whole "defensive holding" thing. I grew up playing football where the defense could use their hands, more or less, however they want. The concept of a defensive lineman being guilty of 'holding' an offensive lineman is just totally displaced from my way of seeing football. To call it on that particular play with no particular evidence of it actually existing. I'm glad I'm not a Saints fan. I'd probably have broken something in my house.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Saints hosed

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    I'm glad I'm not a Saints fan. I'd probably have broken something in my house.
    The Saints fans who still have stuff left in their houses are unlikely to break any of it. But I see your point.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    The Saints fans who still have stuff left in their houses are unlikely to break any of it. But I see your point.
    hehe. My bad. I guess that does sound insensitive. I was totally lost in football at the time I typed that. Sorry for that comment in the current context.

hehe. My bad. I guess that does sound insensitive. I was totally lost in football at the time I typed that. Sorry for that comment in the current context.
    Im not offended, but you have to admit, the Saints might be the most screwed organization in the NFL right now, between the way the "home" games have been handled to this call today.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Called a defensive lineman for a phantom holding call on the last play of the game (missed field goal)? Awful.

I'm not a big fan of the whole "defensive holding" thing. I grew up playing football where the defense could use their hands, more or less, however they want. The concept of a defensive lineman being guilty of 'holding' an offensive lineman is just totally displaced from my way of seeing football. To call it on that particular play with no particular evidence of it actually existing. I'm glad I'm not a Saints fan. I'd probably have broken something in my house.
    Yea, I complained about that rule when it called once on each side in last week's Bengals-Jags game. I know they are trying to make the game safer and more fair, but they just keep on making new blocking, contact, and tackling rules which make too many games flag fests. Pretty soon, the real players are going to look like the electric football guys, simply locking arms and going around in circles if they want to avoid a penalty.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

a lot of the games I've seen this year have been flag fests
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Steve Kelley cartoon from Times Picayune 10/18/2005

Turn Off Ads?