Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Outfielder to be traded

Re: Outfielder to be traded

It'd take Broxton, Billingsley, AND either Guzman, LaRoche, or Martin for me to pony up Dunn.

Nothing less.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony
    It'd take Broxton, Billingsley, AND either Guzman, LaRoche, or Martin for me to pony up Dunn.

Nothing less.
    Same here. My going price would be three picks from your litter. No reason to move Dunn for less.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

No reason to move Dunn for less.
    If Dunn had to be dealt, I'd take quality over quantity (for example Billingsley and Broxton from LA rather than Josh Banks, Zach Jackson and David Purcey from Toronto or a bunch of Houston's prospects). Devil's in the details.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    If the Reds would have traded WMP or Kearns in the offseason do you think that would have been wise?
    Of course it would've been wise. The Indians offered Cliff Lee for Kearns. Had we done that, we'd been a lot better off, even if Jr was injured all year.

It made no sense to hold onto an OF surplus when we need pitching as badly as we did. Why worry about the depth chart in the OF (possiblity of injuries) when you don't even have 5 legitimate guys for the rotation.

Had we gotten Cliff Lee, we could've used Ortiz's money to sign a backup OF and had a lot of change left over.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    If Dunn had to be dealt, I'd take quality over quantity (for example Billingsley and Broxton from LA rather than Josh Banks, Zach Jackson and David Purcey from Toronto or a bunch of Houston's prospects). Devil's in the details.
    I'd have to sit down for a long time and ponder that one. I'm not sure that is quality over quantity. In fact it might be three solid future major league pitchers vs. two well-pimped busts. This is where shrewd scouting comes in. In a deal like this a team like the Reds needs to slice through the interferece and make sure it gets real value.

I don't want to get these posts started (Trade Jr. For ......), but if one of our OF is going to be traded and it could be done, would Jr. to Toronto for Roy Halliday be an option? Toronto's spring training camp is near Tampa, and Jr. likely could become a DH and save some of the wear and tear on his body that playing CF puts on him.

I can't see Jr approving a deal to anywhere thats not already a contender dman. With Boston and NY in that division I wouldn't believe he'd want to go to a 'second division' club like that.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Why would Toronto trade one of the best pitchers in the AL for Junior? Halladay had the inside track on the Cy Young before getting injured. It's a shame we couldn't pull the trigger on the deal for Garland and that CF prospect from the White Sox. That would've been a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Why would Toronto trade one of the best pitchers in the AL for Junior? Halladay had the inside track on the Cy Young before getting injured. It's a shame we couldn't pull the trigger on the deal for Garland and that CF prospect from the White Sox. That would've been a steal.
    I doubt they'd deal Halladay myself, but perhaps Halladay's health, a middling offense and the need for some box office pull would make them open to the idea. That said, I imagine it would be near impossible to sell Jr. on the move.

IIRC, Garland was not part of that Jr. to the ChiSox deal. Young, Rogosin and an anonymous prospect arm was the deal as a I remember it.

Oops -- didn't mean garland. I meant to say Brandon McCarthy. I'm pretty sure I remember the offer being McCarthy and Young. At least that's what they were saying here in Chicago.

Don't the jays still have Hillenbrand, Koskie, and Hinske? Obviously they'd bench one for Junior, but they also have Catalanatto, Wells, Rios, Reed Johnson, and John Ford-Griffin in the OF. Just doesn't seem like a great fit. Not to mention, you think Junior would waive his 10-5 to play in Canada?

Anyways, I'm on the trade Pena train myself. Brutal defense and we need some guys on base more than we need more power. I think a Pena deal with the Twins for Crain (who is a personality conflict) and one of the young starters is the best fit for everybody.

I'd have to sit down for a long time and ponder that one. I'm not sure that is quality over quantity. In fact it might be three solid future major league pitchers vs. two well-pimped busts. This is where shrewd scouting comes in. In a deal like this a team like the Reds needs to slice through the interferece and make sure it gets real value.
    This is no doubt true. When the traffic is in minor league arms, albeit very highly regarded ones, one is taking calculated risks. I am concerned that O'Brien will shy away from the risk and instead bring back low to mid ceiling major league pitching for one of the outfielders. I'd rather see Billingsley than a Brandon Backe.

Just finished reading through this thread.

Dan O'Brien is an idiot.

If Adam Dunn is traded for a can of Raid and a bathtub brush, I'm going to be VERY put out.

Pena would be better in the AL as a designated hitter. His D leaves much to be desired IMO. Keep Dunny and Kearns, and if anyone is dumb enough to pick up the contract AND give something good, maybe deal Griffey _for the right player<s> ONLY_. They'd have to be class-A right for the ball park starting type players. <can we get Oswalt?>

Foxfire123
    Last edited by foxfire123; 10-23-2005 at 05:33 PM.

Does anyone else think that maybe they should tie O'B in his chair, duct tape his mouth and not let him near a phone until the new owners take over? It's been said that Lindner will step down if the new majority owners want him to, so maybe a wait and see attitude wouldn't be a bad thing.

Foxfire123

Turn Off Ads?