Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rosenthal: Reds expected to be open to trading Dunn

Rosenthal: Reds expected to be open to trading Dunn

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...ic.php?t=26901

The Padres' Brian Giles could be the Cardinals' next right fielder. Giles, a potential free agent, wants to stay in San Diego, but if no deal can be worked out, the Cardinals likely will be his No. 1 choice. . . .

The Reds, expected to be open to trading LF Adam Dunn, want top young pitching in return. The Astros, Dodgers and Red Sox could be among the suitors, along with two low-revenue clubs that plan to spend more--the Royals and Blue Jays. . . .

Don't be surprised if the Red Sox entertain offers for RHP Matt Clement, with the idea of moving RHP Jonathan Papelbon into their rotation. Clement, 31, will make $9.5 million both in 2006 and '07, but given the shortage of quality free-agent pitchers, teams might find him attractive. . . .

One reason new Padres CEO Sandy Alderson might not be sorry if G.M. Kevin Towers leaves for the Diamondbacks: The Padres have almost $30 million committed next season to four players who should be making far less money--LF Ryan Klesko and RHPs Chan Ho Park, Woody Williams and Brian Lawrence. . . .

Angels Class A SS Brandon Wood hit nine home runs in his first 10 games in the Arizona Fall League, including four in one game. One scout, comparing Wood to a young Travis Fryman, says Wood has the ability to handle shortstop and will hit for enough power to play third base. . . .

Speaking of youngsters with promise, the impressive debut of Astros Class A 3B Koby Clemens could persuade his father, RHP Roger Clemens, to return for at least one more season. Koby, 18, isn't close to the majors, but he could join the Astros in spring training--or as a September call-up--in the next season or two.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rosenthal: Reds expected to be open to trading Dunn

OK, of the teams mentioned as suitors for Dunn...

LA -- Fine. Start with Billingsley and either Elbert or Broxton. Sweeten if necessary to get more minor league talent, preferably offensive.
    Boston -- Sorry, not buying the Anibel Sanchez or Hanley Ramirez hype. Lester is more likely, but I don't see a whole lot else (assuming they won't trade Papelbon).
    Toronto -- Halladay for Dunn straight up?
    KC -- Nope (although I would deal Kearns or Pena for Greinke -- but no way would I deal Dunn for him).
    Astros -- Oswalt? Dunn, a hometwon boy, instantly becomes the face of the franchise for the next decade. Awful enticing for the Stros. But the deal won't work for the Reds unless they could sign Oswalt.

I keep coming back to the Dodgers. Unless Toronto or Houston wants to sacrifice an ace, and the Reds can sign him.

Another case of Ken Rosenthal finding enough crap laying around to toss onto a wall hoping something will stick......
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Probably the best the Astros could give is Jason Hirsch, Troy Patton and a hard-thrower who might flourish in the pen.

I like Hirsch and Patton, but for Dunn? I don't think so.

Greinke got exposed this year. Surprise, surprise. KC's got very little to give. I know they had some interest in Kearns and I might pursue that. The buy-in for the Royals would be J.P. Howell. If he's not on the table then they needn't waste their breath. Jonah Bayliss might make for an interesting throw-in.

I'd charge the Dodgers and Red Sox three premium prospects apiece. If they don't want to pay that then the Reds have other bats that might suit their needs.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    OK, of the teams mentioned as suitors for Dunn...

LA -- Fine. Start with Billingsley and either Elbert or Broxton. Sweeten if necessary to get more minor league talent, preferably offensive.
    Boston -- Sorry, not buying the Anibel Sanchez or Hanley Ramirez hype. Lester is more likely, but I don't see a whole lot else (assuming they won't trade Papelbon).
    Toronto -- Halladay for Dunn straight up?
    KC -- Nope (although I would deal Kearns or Pena for Greinke -- but no way would I deal Dunn for him).
    Astros -- Oswalt? Dunn, a hometwon boy, instantly becomes the face of the franchise for the next decade. Awful enticing for the Stros. But the deal won't work for the Reds unless they could sign Oswalt.

I keep coming back to the Dodgers. Unless Toronto or Houston wants to sacrifice an ace, and the Reds can sign him.
    Can we get some major league talent in return?

Probably the best the Astros could give is Jason Hirsch, Troy Patton and a hard-thrower who might flourish in the pen.
    Yep. Jimmy Barthmaier is another guy in single A who's worth watching. Then you've got Nieve and Astacio who are more advanced. If the Astros drop a truckload of these guys on the Reds doorstep, trying to outbid quality with quantity, it may be worth considering. But I'd like another year to see more of Patton.

Greinke got exposed this year. Surprise, surprise. KC's got very little to give. I know they had some interest in Kearns and I might pursue that. The buy-in for the Royals would be J.P. Howell. If he's not on the table then they needn't waste their breath. Jonah Bayliss might make for an interesting throw-in.
    I just can't dismiss Greinke yet. 22 years old. Howell? He's been rushed too, but I like the lefthandedness, and the K rate for a young guy wasn't bad. The real intriguing guy may be Andy Sisco. Do you do that straight up for Pena/Kearns? I think KC is worth careful examination -- they are very likely to be interested in a deal, with their two young hitters, Butler and Gordon, headed for the infield or a DH role, and the outfield scary barren.

I'd charge the Dodgers and Red Sox three premium prospects apiece. If they don't want to pay that then the Reds have other bats that might suit their needs.
    I do not deal with Dodgers unless Billingsley is included. Then, another very good arm. I don't think the Sox have the pitching to get Dunn. The guy I'd try to sell to Boston is Casey.

The guy I'd try to sell to Boston is Casey.
    If Boston can get Konerko they'll have no need for Casey, just like Bowden had no need for Konerko, having Casey in the fold. Is Casey really an upgrade over Millar though for Boston?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Yep. Jimmy Barthmaier is another guy in single A who's worth watching. Then you've got Nieve and Astacio who are more advanced. If the Astros drop a truckload of these guys on the Reds doorstep, trying to outbid quality with quantity, it may be worth considering. But I'd like another year to see more of Patton.
    Agreed on Patton. You don't want to make too much of a young arm. If I had a scout I trusted implicitly to identify the next big thing on the mound screaming at me to get the kid, I'd take the gamble, but we can't know if the Reds have that kind of scout (I suspect they don't) or if that scout is hot for Patton. I like Hirsch a lot too. He was my 2003 second round cyberpick.

I just can't dismiss Greinke yet. 22 years old. Howell? He's been rushed too, but I like the lefthandedness, and the K rate for a young guy wasn't bad. The real intriguing guy may be Andy Sisco. Do you do that straight up for Pena/Kearns? I think KC is worth careful examination -- they are very likely to be interested in a deal, with their two young hitters, Butler and Gordon, headed for the infield or a DH role, and the outfield scary barren.
    I should clarify my position on Greinke. I think he was wildly overrated and pushed years ahead of what his timetable should have been. That said, sure he could round into a good pitcher in time. He's still got a lot to learn. I wouldn't deal Dunn for him. I wouldn't deal Dunn for Greinke, Howell and Sisco and I like Howell and Sisco. You're right that KC had better get serious about its OF. When former Louisville stalwart Emil Brown is your feature OF you've got problems. I should have included Sisco with Howell. I'd want one of those plus a throw-in arm for Kearns or Pena. KC could carp and moan all they want, but there's no doubt Kearns and Pena can play pro ball, Howell and Sisco may never be quality starters and the Reds deserve something extra for the additional risk.

I do not deal with Dodgers unless Billingsley is included. Then, another very good arm. I don't think the Sox have the pitching to get Dunn. The guy I'd try to sell to Boston is Casey.
    I think both L.A. and Boston have a pack of overrated prospects. There's talent there, but it's likely nowhere near as much as the press they're getting. That's why I'd be demanding my pick of three from the litter for Dunn. Since the industry has become freaky about prospects of late, I'm guessing both teams would balk at that demand.

I actually think Casey would be a great addition for Boston. Don't know if the Sox agree, but they could use a high BA guy in the #6 slot. Fenway rewards hitters like Sean.

I actually think Casey would be a great addition for Boston. Don't know if the Sox agree, but they could use a high BA guy in the #6 slot. Fenway rewards hitters like Sean.
    Exactly. Casey could hit well in Fenway, and he'd be a huge hit in the media (something the current ownership values). I wouldn't sell cheap, either. It's not a salary dump.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    If Boston can get Konerko they'll have no need for Casey, just like Bowden had no need for Konerko, having Casey in the fold. Is Casey really an upgrade over Millar though for Boston?
    I think the LAAofA were mentioned by SI.com as someone interested in Paul Konerko.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I think the LAAofA were mentioned by SI.com as someone interested in Paul Konerko.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal..._a_wanted_man/

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Paul Konerko ranks as the biggest name among prospective free agent hitters this winter -- count the Los Angeles Times among the most recent journals to speculate that the Red Sox will be hot on his trail -- but if White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has his way, Konerko's name never will come in play.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Konerko would be a timewarp back to the '70s and '80s Red Sox. And they won what?

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Konerko would be a timewarp back to the '70s and '80s Red Sox. And they won what?
    In fairness, the '70s and 80s Bosox did win a couple of pennants and went to game seven before losing the World Series.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    In fairness, the '70s and 80s Bosox did win a couple of pennants and went to game seven before losing the World Series.
    Yeah, but they were always lumbering beasts that couldn't adapt.

Didn't help that they ran into the '75 Reds and '86 Mets. That's just lousy timing. I often tell Sox fans they should be extremely proud those teams didn't put a broom on them.

What I was driving at was the Sox historical fascination with RH power has proven a heartbreaker. Better pitching and defense would be areas more worthy of their consideration.
    Last edited by M2; 10-18-2005 at 11:12 AM.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I know that in the days of free agency who you played for last year doesn't matter but you have to look at the attachment factor with Konerko, he has been the leader of this team for 3 years. With Frank in and out and with neither C. Lee or Ordonez very media savy, you always had Paulie to talk to on the good days and bad. I also think that unless the White Sox want to turn it over to Ross Gload, then Konerko is staying put.

Turn Off Ads?