Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Young singers spread racist hate

Re: Young singers spread racist hate

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful

The media has even whipped itself into a frenzy over it once or twice.
    I remember the backlash when Ice-T put out "Cop Killer" and I think N.W.A. might have taken some heat, but anymore, it's pretty much just been the rappers killing each other off like their industry is some new type of Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer
    Okay,remember that twosome from the early nineties."Nelson"? That pic is what I imagine them looking like -preteen.

+

=

Which means that

that can all be summed up with
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I remember the backlash when Ice-T put out "Cop Killer" and I think N.W.A. might have taken some heat, but anymore, it's pretty much just been the rappers killing each other off like their industry is some new type of Mafia.
    And I paid $20 at 2nd Time Around (Brown St. by Univ. of Dayton) for that cassette tape b/c it had been banned or something. At the time and at my age, I had to have this thing. I like it and still have it.

A lot of people may not realize that the music on this tape are really not like the normal rap type of music. The music and singing styles are more in the style of heavy metal and not rap. No samples or keyboards... guitars, bass, singing and drums. The lyrics might be a different story!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    And I paid $20 at 2nd Time Around (Brown St. by Univ. of Dayton) for that cassette tape b/c it had been banned or something. At the time and at my age, I had to have this thing. I like it and still have it.

A lot of people may not realize that the music on this tape are really not like the normal rap type of music. The music and singing styles are more in the style of heavy metal and not rap. No samples or keyboards... guitars, bass, singing and drums. The lyrics might be a different story!
    Ah yes, Ice-T with Body Count. I remember everyone cranking that album in the dorms at Kent State. I always like the song "Body Count" myself. Of course now I find it ironic that Ice-T was villified by various police organizations and conservative politicians back then, but is now known mostly for playing a cop on "Law and Order."

On the topic of the preteen supremacists...I wonder if people of actual Prussian descent are getting tired of yahoos coopting their heritage to spread hate. I doubt they could even point out Prussia on a map, or know who the Prussians were.
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 10-27-2005 at 08:25 PM.

I don't have a problem with people being proud of whatever race they are, it's when you start cheering on Nazis that things get a bit.....iffy.

I don't understand why anyone would be "proud" of their race or ethnicity. People are born into that. It isn't chosen or earned. Be secure in it. But proud?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I have no problems with someone being proud of their ancestry/race. I take great pride in my Irish lineage and the traditions handed down from past generations. Maybe it's semantics to call it "pride" or refer to it as something else. The problems arise when people morph that pride into an "I'm better than you or superior to you" type of thing.

I love going to Celtic festivals, dressing up, going to Irish themed bars, the whole nine yards. I would call that being proud and in that sense I don't think it is a bad thing.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    I have no problems with someone being proud of their ancestry/race. I take great pride in my Irish lineage and the traditions handed down from past generations. Maybe it's semantics to call it "pride" or refer to it as something else. The problems arise when people morph that pride into an "I'm better than you or superior to you" type of thing.

I love going to Celtic festivals, dressing up, going to Irish themed bars, the whole nine yards. I would call that being proud and in that sense I don't think it is a bad thing.
    That's funny. I played in an Irish band for four years and used to frequent most of the local Irish pubs, mostly the ones that had open music sessions going on. So who knows. I may have met you around town before. Hmm...

what depresses me most is i work with a couple of fellows who will buy this CD and agree with the messages full-heartedly.
    seems with every step forward we take, we take a couple more backwards

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    That's funny. I played in an Irish band for four years and used to frequent most of the local Irish pubs, mostly the ones that had open music sessions going on. So who knows. I may have met you around town before. Hmm...
    Who knows ORH, it's possible we might have drank and sang the night away on one or two occasions!

Who knows ORH, it's possible we might have drank and sang the night away on one or two occasions!
    At Fibber MGees?

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Well, probably not the drinking part, since I'm the only living Irishman who doesn't drink, with the exception of those who are in AA. I have played all the local festivals a couple times and used to be something of a regular in the sessions at the Dubliner and Haps. I used to play with this band.

www.darkmoll.com

Well, probably not the drinking part, since I'm the only living Irishman who doesn't drink, with the exception of those who are in AA. I have played all the local festivals a couple times and used to be something of a regular in the sessions at the Dubliner and Haps. I used to play with this band.

www.darkmoll.com
    ah, i hate to burst your bubble, ORH, but part Irish here...last time i had a drink was about 32 years ago, when i was a rebel rousing 5-year-old who swiped my uncle's beer...then payed him by taking a pee in his shoe.
    oh, i literally still remember the night after that, though. it still hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    At Fibber MGees?
    A little before my time but great stuff from what I can gather.

Post To Contact

www.darkmoll.com
    I'm with ya too, ORH, if it makes ya feel better to know there are more of us here! I'm about as Irish as they come, except in the drinking circles. I won't say I NEVER-EVER drink, but I rarely ever do, just once in a blue moon I might have one. I have relatives and ancestors who certainly pick up the slack though.

From the sounds of it I am picking up the slack for all of you guys on the drinking front. Have no fear fellas...

Turn Off Ads?