Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Fun With Google

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fun With Google

Put in "Awful Announcer" in the search box and click the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Re: Fun With Google

I was sure it would be Grande.....still funny though.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

"The easiest way to get a base-hit is to put the bat on the ball."
    pure words of wisdom.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/s....1c20ddad.html
    (Borrow a login at bugmenot.com)

David King: McCarver: Common ground for Astros, White Sox fans

Web Posted: 10/21/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

King No matter whom you're rooting for in the upcoming World Series, there's one thing you have in common with opposing fans — and anyone else who might be listening.

You're going to get aggravated at Fox analyst Tim McCarver.

McCarver is the master of the annoyingly obvious observation. And if you listen really closely, about half of the things he says don't even make sense, such as this observation during the 2003 World Series about Marlins pitcher Josh Beckett:

"Beckett's retired 19 batters through 61/3 innings; he's having a phenomenal night ..."

Think about it for a second ... got it?

This and many more McCarverisms (including the quote at the top of this page) can be found at ShutUpTimMcCarver.com, a compilation of some of the most egregious examples of his twisted tongue, as well as a busy bulletin board filled with comments like "I have taken to listening to the games with the SAP button on my television. I don't understand Spanish, but I get more enjoyment out of the games when I don't have to listen to McCarver and (partner Joe) Buck."

(Still scratching your head about the Beckett line? Each pitcher who throws 61/3 innings has retired 19 batters, whether he is pitching a shutout or down by 20 runs.)

The site also introduced your Field Correspondent to the concept of "Googlebombing," which the McCarver-haters have employed to produce an unexpected result when you search for "awful announcer" (in quotes) at Google.com.

The trick: Google uses more than just the contents of Web pages to help users find things online. It also looks at sites that have linked to sites that might match your search terms; by linking to McCarver's home page, sites with the phrase "awful announcer" will produce his home page as the best possibility when you're looking for that phrase.

By the way, the most-noted examples of Googlebombing are the results when you look for "miserable failure" on Google. Just try it; it's an equal-opportunity bomb.

Turn Off Ads?