Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 100 Scariest Movie Scenes of All-Time

Re: 100 Scariest Movie Scenes of All-Time

Was that the segment where Andrienne Barbeau gets it?
    Yep.

"Just tell him to call you Billie."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

That scene in Carrie scred the crap outta me.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

The ankle breaking in "Misery" gets me every time. Reminds me of when Tim Krumrie broke his leg during the Super Bowl.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I think the scariest scenes are the ones that have some basis in reality. If you see something and the thought enters your mind, "That could happen to me.", then it's more disturbing. The ones featuring alien creatures or zombies never affected me because it didn't seem like a real threat to me, but who ever saw Jaws and then went to a beach without parts of that movie being in the back of your mind? Some of the things in Seven or Psycho are more disturbing because your brain is never telling you that "this could never happen."

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

The carrie scare is the best off the top of my head. The serenity of the scene with the soft focus and a feeling of renewal then like flash of lightning your heart is ripped from your chest as the hand grabs the unsuspecting visitor...

I like to sit near a person who hasnt seen the movie to give them a more physical experience when the hand comes up.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    There are two things I remember distinctly from 1975, the Reds winning the WS, and sitting in the front seat of the car at the drive in with Dad watching this for the first time. That scene made me jump more than any other scene in the whole movie and I had images of that head that night when I was trying to get to sleep. What kind of father takes his 6 year old son to see Jaws?
    I think that was probably the scariest scene I have ever witnessed in a movie theatre. I was 12 at the time and it took a while for me to get that picture out of my head when I laid down to go to sleep at night
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

So many of these freaked me out.

#61 stands out especially because it was so odd and random and unexplained.

Night of the Hunter is such a good creepy movie. My favorite scene is the "duet" between Robert Mitchum and Lillian Gish.

When a Stranger Calls is odd because the scariest part, the scene mentioned in this countdown, happens at the very beginning of the movie. It all kind of plateaus from there.

The scene from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is also quite a random and terrifying scene. Especially when you're ten years old and seeing that movie for the first time.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'm actually fairly surprised that the Russian roulette scene from The Deer Hunter didn't make that list (particularly when considering some of the non-horror flicks that did).

That scene disturbed me to no end and, to this day, I have a difficult time sitting through it.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

The opening scene from Scream 1 didn't even make the list?!? I usually don't get scared a lot, but that specific scene when Drew Barrymore gets gutted and her remains hung from a tree scared the crap out of me. And the phone calls from the killer leading up to the gutting was pretty scary too. I would vote it #1.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 10-27-2005 at 04:21 PM.

Post To Contact

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    I'm actually fairly surprised that the Russian roulette scene from The Deer Hunter didn't make that list (particularly when considering some of the non-horror flicks that did).

That scene disturbed me to no end and, to this day, I have a difficult time sitting through it.
    You're not kidding. I was wondering about this as well, and shocked at its exclusion.

I am pleasantly suprised to see #6 though, "Un Chien Andalou". Very disturbing, and shocking considering this was from pre-1930. I don't know many that have seen this, anyone on here by chance? As the article suggests, I saw it through media school. First day in fact. A great welcome.
    Last edited by Big Donkey; 10-27-2005 at 04:54 PM.

#67 PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1987)
    SATAN IN THE SHADOWS

...The whole scene looks exactly what it would look like if someone accidentally caught The Devil on a camcorder.
    Unfortunately, the rest of the movie is a boring disaster.

#65 MARATHON MAN (1976)
    A ROOT CANAL WITH NO NOVACAINE!
    Now THAT was a scary scene! Lawrence Olivier calmly asking, "Is it safe?" while ripping into Dustin Hoffman's teeth. Nightmarish.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Big Donkey
    You're not kidding. I was wondering about this as well, and shocked at its exclusion.
    And I swear I had NO idea when I posted about the movie, but The Deer Hunter is on HBO2 right now. Started 15 minutes ago.

I need to go buy lottery tickets now...
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Oddly, i agree with the Pee-Wee hermans big adventure "Large Marge" scare.

As goofy as that movie was, the totally unexpected freakout of Marges bulging eyeballs and gaping mouth freaked the living pooh out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Oddly, i agree with the Pee-Wee hermans big adventure "Large Marge" scare.

As goofy as that movie was, the totally unexpected freakout of Marges bulging eyeballs and gaping mouth freaked the living pooh out of me.
    I was really young when I saw it the first time, but those clowns freaked me out much more than large marge.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    I think the scariest scenes are the ones that have some basis in reality. If you see something and the thought enters your mind, "That could happen to me.", then it's more disturbing. The ones featuring alien creatures or zombies never affected me because it didn't seem like a real threat to me, but who ever saw Jaws and then went to a beach without parts of that movie being in the back of your mind? Some of the things in Seven or Psycho are more disturbing because your brain is never telling you that "this could never happen."
    The zombie movies always made me think "What if?"

Especially "28 Days Later". I've been alone in a big city, albeit late at night, when there is absolutely no cars or anyone else around and it is dead quiet. I've pondered before what I would do if I woke up one morning and there was no one else around.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?