Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blockbuster Video hurts my head

Blockbuster Video hurts my head

Now that they have the "life after late fees" policy, they have made all of the most recent DVD releases into 2 day rentals instead of the previous 7 day rental format. Of course, you can still keep the DVD for 7 days, but any longer and they consider it a sale and you then have another 23 days to return the DVD and void the sale but have to pay a $1.25 restocking fee. So, my question is why change to 2 day rentals when you can still conceivably keep the DVD for 7 days...and isn't it still like having a late fee when they charge you the entire price of the DVD after 7 days?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Blockbuster Video hurts my head

I think Blockbuster's goofy policies just make Netflix seem that much more appealing.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that Blockbuster, the only video store in town, isn't carrying George Romero's Land of the Dead. When I asked the asst. manager if they would be getting it in, she told me that they absolutely will not carry that movie in their store. Doesn't make sense...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Sava, it should make total sense to you. Blockbuster tries to carry the family values thing to the extreme. They edit their videos based on what they think is acceptable. They refuse to carry movies they find offensive.

I don't mind if Blockbuster wants to carry both a clean and unedited version of a film, but they shouldn't try and keep me from seeing something their holier than thou board of directors finds offensive. I already have two parents, thank you, and I don't need another one, especially since I left home about 18 years ago.

They'll say, "If you don't like it, go rent somewhere else..."

And I have. And so have lots of people I know because they are tired of dealing with their policies that originate from somewhere past Orion's belt. Some of these ideas are from space.

They'll never, ever, get another dime from me.

The problem is that there aren't any other video stores in Miamisburg...which is crazy, because it's larger than Piqua (where I lived before moving here), and there we had four different video stores. I'm sure there are other decent video stores in the Dayton area, and even though I've lived here for three years now, I don't know that much about the entire Dayton area.

Switch to Netflix, you'll never look back. It is considerably cheaper (at least it was in our case) and much more convenient. It doesn't get much better than getting and returning videos through your mailbox. Not to mention I have to take my DVD back to Blockbuster for a working copy 50% of the time and my Netflix DVDs always appear brand new.

All within 10 miles, awesome! Thanks creek!

FWIW, I don't rent enough that I think a NetFlix subscription would be worth the price for me. I tend to use the free service of the Dayton Metro Library quite often however.

La Dolce Vita

Netflix has a one-disc-at-a-time $9.99/mo. program. If you only watch 3 or 4 movies a month it would be worth it.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop
    Netflix has a one-disc-at-a-time $9.99/mo. program. If you only watch 3 or 4 movies a month it would be worth it.
    Exactly. FWIW, we're actually receiving about 5-6 movies per month on the one-at-a-time plan...pretty good for $9.99!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Sava, it should make total sense to you. Blockbuster tries to carry the family values thing to the extreme. They edit their videos based on what they think is acceptable. They refuse to carry movies they find offensive.

I don't mind if Blockbuster wants to carry both a clean and unedited version of a film, but they shouldn't try and keep me from seeing something their holier than thou board of directors finds offensive. I already have two parents, thank you, and I don't need another one, especially since I left home about 18 years ago.

They'll say, "If you don't like it, go rent somewhere else..."

And I have. And so have lots of people I know because they are tired of dealing with their policies that originate from somewhere past Orion's belt. Some of these ideas are from space.

They'll never, ever, get another dime from me.
    Blockbuster has every right to be a "holier than thou" attitude about running their business. Its their right just like its your right to take your business elsewhere.

You should know this is our free capitalist country. Sounds like you both know where you each stand and have moved on, both better because of it. So whats the beef?

Blockbuster in El Paso doesn't honor the Corporate policy of "No Late Fees". As they are a franchise and for some reason, the corporation cannot tell them to honor it.

I am a member of the Blockbuster Online dealio. I pay 19.99 a month and keep up to 3 dvds as long as I want with no late fees. I also get coupons for 2 free in-store rentals a month and just the other day I got a coupon for a free previously viewed DVD ($7.99 value). IMO, that is a great value. Much, much better than renting the films in store.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I use the 2 Disc at a time option for Netflix, and happily haven't set foot in Blockbuster for quite a long time.

The only time they list something as "Short Wait" is in the first week of a big time release. Kingdom of Heaven is the first movie I can think of in 6 months that wasn't available when it came up as next in my queue because the timing was such that it came up the day after the movie was released. They also have a big time selection of documentaries, Discovery Channel/History Channel stuff that I like to watch as well.

And they have national mail centers all over, so I usually get my new DVD 1-3 days after I place the last one in the mail.

Anyway, count me as a big fan. However, I know my parents use Blockbusters Online program and they like it as well and have never had any problems in the last 5 months or so. Something to consider.

And in a similiar vein, I'd also recommend GameFly.com as well, for console game players. Same setup as Netflx, but all the games go back to LA, so it's a couple of extra days of mail time.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 10-30-2005 at 03:01 AM.

I've used Netflix and Blockbuster (as well as the now defunct Walmart movies) and have to say that Netflix is hands down the best.

Turn Off Ads?