Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 83

Thread: Cross Your Fingers

  1. #46
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    7,948

    Re: Cross Your Fingers

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    C'mon.. I don't post as much anymore to begin with!! I was on Major League payroll this year and still posted.

    Glad to see Gerry Hunsicker get the job in Tampa. This could really help me tomorrow. Now that Mr. Hunsicker is in place I hope to be meeting with him as well as Mr. Silverman tomorrow. If they offer me a job tomorrow, I don't see how I could say "no".

    Houston was fantastic. Our meeting went very well and I was "GRILLED" for the better part of an hour and a half. I even brought my own scouting reports for them to review against their staff's. Gutsy but it WORKED!!! The Astros leave you with a tremedous feeling of confidence and stability. I have very close friends who work there. Always good to work at a place where others you trust can look out for you.

    The Braves kept in touch yesterday and we are set to speak again today.

    No word back from the Padres... Long shot anyway. I was pursuing them, not the other way around.

    Someone asked why I was not in contact with the Reds? I would not work for Dan O'Brien or Dean Taylor if it was the last job on earth. Dan's reputation is getting worse and Dean's was bad to begin with. When they get wiped out all the people they bring in are going to go too. I would not want to be a part of that mess. Not to mention the lack of professionalism they dole out on a regular basis. I'll pass.
    That was me that asked the question about applying with the Reds. I knew the answer and was being a little mischevious about it. Hopefully, DOB will be gone soon along with the rest of that sorry bunch. I read today that it looked like DanO and Narron were safe because they had contracts, but I would think that the new owners would look at this mess and rid themselves of all the failure around them. Nothing against Narron, but he's who's first choice for manager in the league. The answer is...NOBODY.

    Nuff said.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,248

    Re: Cross Your Fingers

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Sweet. I'll do that. Fortunately I will only have to go to Atlanta a few times per year. I will operate mostly out of Cincinnati.
    Good God life seems so unfair.

    I was once a bat boy... where will that get me at the MLB level?

  4. #48
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Cross Your Fingers

    Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Good God life seems so unfair.

    I was once a bat boy... where will that get me at the MLB level?
    They may have a Bat Boy Hall of Fame... LOL! I never had the opportunity to be a bat boy. If I had I probably would have been terrible. I would have been staring at my idols not being able to move.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  5. #49
    You're soaking in it! MartyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,344

    Re: Cross Your Fingers

    TC:

    I am really happy for you and I will admit a bit envious...of course I have no skills to evaluate talent or help develop talent or pretty much do anything with any organization...so, it is probably best I stay in the comedy thing...by the way, one cool thing I got to do one time was to go do about 10 minutes of comedy for the Columbus Crew (MLS) before a game...just did some nonsense to get them loose...any chance they ever have that sort of thing happen with MLB teams?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

  6. #50
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Cross Your Fingers

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    TC:

    I am really happy for you and I will admit a bit envious...of course I have no skills to evaluate talent or help develop talent or pretty much do anything with any organization...so, it is probably best I stay in the comedy thing...by the way, one cool thing I got to do one time was to go do about 10 minutes of comedy for the Columbus Crew (MLS) before a game...just did some nonsense to get them loose...any chance they ever have that sort of thing happen with MLB teams?
    If you have ever been in a Major League Clubhouse there is some of the best comedy in the country going on every day. Pete Harnisch and Denny Neagle were the two best.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  7. #51
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Cross Your Fingers

    Just an update...

    Houston is out. Although the interview went well and the "good 'ol boy" network was in play still "no fit".

    Atlanta is still in. I received a call last night (Sat) at 8:00 PM. (Pretty cool to get a phone call on a weekend from the Braves) I am in the mix and have a tenative offer.

    Tampa Bay is also in. Although this deal could take a few weeks to develop, I fear I may lose the Braves if I have to wait for the D-Rays. Timing is everything.

    The difference in the Braves job and the D-Rays job is HUGE. Scouting (Pro side) vs. a large role in Player Development. If you do a great job in PD you get bumped up quickly and have a shot at being an Asst. GM. (See Andrew Friedman) In scouting it takes you longer to move up but you are an integral part of the organization. Especially on the Pro side. With the Braves I would report to two people both of which are at the top. Great for face time. I am a little torn on this. With Atlanta I could stay in Cincy. Tampa requires me to move there. I guess there are worse places to go.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  8. #52
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,347

    Re: Cross Your Fingers

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Just an update...

    Houston is out. Although the interview went well and the "good 'ol boy" network was in play still "no fit".

    Atlanta is still in. I received a call last night (Sat) at 8:00 PM. (Pretty cool to get a phone call on a weekend from the Braves) I am in the mix and have a tenative offer.

    Tampa Bay is also in. Although this deal could take a few weeks to develop, I fear I may lose the Braves if I have to wait for the D-Rays. Timing is everything.

    The difference in the Braves job and the D-Rays job is HUGE. Scouting (Pro side) vs. a large role in Player Development. If you do a great job in PD you get bumped up quickly and have a shot at being an Asst. GM. (See Andrew Friedman) In scouting it takes you longer to move up but you are an integral part of the organization. Especially on the Pro side. With the Braves I would report to two people both of which are at the top. Great for face time. I am a little torn on this. With Atlanta I could stay in Cincy. Tampa requires me to move there. I guess there are worse places to go.
    Either way, it sounds like two places a person would want to go. The Braves are, well...the Braves. What an organization from top to bottom. Being there would have to be great for your career. TB seems intriguing. From the outside it looks like they are hoping to turn things around. That might be a real opportunity for a smart Redszoner such as yourself.
    Best of luck, TC.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  9. #53
    Member 15fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Cross Your Fingers

    Tampa or Atlanta?

    While the Gold Club is no more ( ), I've been told : that there are plenty of other fine, uh, entertainment establishments around this town I now call home.

    Tampa also seems to have it's share of, um, fun things to do.

    Though after reading this story ( http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5059164 ), Charlotte might be the place you really want to live.

  10. #54
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Cross Your Fingers

    Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    Tampa or Atlanta?

    While the Gold Club is no more ( ), I've been told : that there are plenty of other fine, uh, entertainment establishments around this town I now call home.

    Tampa also seems to have it's share of, um, fun things to do.

    Though after reading this story ( http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5059164 ), Charlotte might be the place you really want to live.
    Those poor cheerleaders... Sounds like they were trying to have some "quality" time and just couldn't get the privacy they needed.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  11. #55
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Cross Your Fingers

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Someone asked why I was not in contact with the Reds? I would not work for Dan O'Brien or Dean Taylor if it was the last job on earth. Dan's reputation is getting worse and Dean's was bad to begin with. When they get wiped out all the people they bring in are going to go too. I would not want to be a part of that mess. Not to mention the lack of professionalism they dole out on a regular basis. I'll pass.
    ... now tell us what you really think.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  12. #56
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Cross Your Fingers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    ... now tell us what you really think.
    Sorry to hold back in my comments... I'll tell all in my Book.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  13. #57
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Cross Your Fingers

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Sorry to hold back in my comments... I'll tell all in my Book.
    hopefully the "wiped out" will happen in December. Nothing would deflate true fans faster than the new ownership keeping DanO and his cronies around.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  14. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    833

    Re: Cross Your Fingers

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Those poor cheerleaders... Sounds like they were trying to have some "quality" time and just couldn't get the privacy they needed.
    I was at that club sat. night. In retrospect, it appears I left about 40 minutes before the national news event took place.

    You would love Tampa. (or st. pete or clearwater)....great area to live.

    If you come to work for D-Rays just promise you won't be a part of trading away all the young, versatile talent and replacing it with big swinging strikeout guys.

    "Player Development/Scouting" isn't marketing but dropping a couple good marketing ideas probably wouldn't hurt in an interview. The local baseball talk still always circles back to how they can get people to drive across the bridge to st. pete and sit and watch a baseball game in a dome. To this end the new ownership has already announced that they will not charge for parking next year and that they will change rules about bringing in food/drink to allow people to bring in their own provisions.................

  15. #59
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,888

    Re: Cross Your Fingers

    Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    To this end the new ownership has already announced that they will not charge for parking next year and that they will change rules about bringing in food/drink to allow people to bring in their own provisions..........
    Blasphemy!!! Wait 'til the other team owners get their hands on these guys at the winter meetings....
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

  16. #60
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Cross Your Fingers

    Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    If you come to work for D-Rays just promise you won't be a part of trading away all the young, versatile talent and replacing it with big swinging strikeout guys.
    ... won't have to the DRays best prospects are already that (Gomes, Upton, Young)
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25