Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sulu comes out

Sulu comes out

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051028/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

1 hour, 40 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES -
    George Takei, who as helmsman Sulu steered the Starship Enterprise through three television seasons and six movies, has come out as a homosexual in the current issue of Frontiers, a biweekly Los Angeles magazine covering the gay and lesbian community.

Takei told The Associated Press on Thursday that his new onstage role as psychologist Martin Dysart in "Equus," helped inspire him to publicly discuss his sexuality.

Takei described the character as a "very contained but turbulently frustrated man." The play opened Wednesday at the David Henry Hwang Theater in Los Angeles, the same day that Frontiers magazine featured a story on Takei's coming out.

The current social and political climate also motivated Takei's disclosure, he said.

"The world has changed from when I was a young teen feeling ashamed for being gay," he said. "The issue of gay marriage is now a political issue. That would have been unthinkable when I was young."

The 68-year-old actor said he and his partner, Brad Altman, have been together for 18 years.

Takei, a Japanese-American who lived in a U.S. internment camp from age 4 to 8, said he grew up feeling ashamed of his ethnicity and sexuality. He likened prejudice against gays to racial segregation.

"It's against basic decency and what American values stand for," he said.

Takei joined the "Star Trek" cast in 1966 as Hikaru Sulu, a character he played for three seasons on television and in six subsequent films. He received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1986.

A community activist, Takei ran for the Los Angeles City Council in 1973. He serves on the advisory committee of the California Civil Liberties Public Education Program and is chairman of East West Players, the theater company producing "Equus."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sulu comes out

Most Trek fans have pretty much known this for a long time, he never really hid it just never said it out loud.
    Go Gators!

Always amazes me when I see a celebrity "come out". Like it isn't/wasn't common knowledge in Hollywood who is homosexual?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

For a Level Playing Field

Re: RFA1966 comes out

Just want everyone at RZ to know that I am a heterosexual. I have known my wife since February 1998. We were married Sept. 2003.

I doubt that any of you really care about my sexuality. I feel the same about your sexuality and the sexuality of Swoopes and Sulu. What we do and what they do, within the laws of society, is our own business. I am happy with my life and I hope you, Swoopes and Sulu are happy as well.

Thank you.

I'm straight.

But if I wasn't, I would take Jennifer over Angelina.

Just sayin.

Okay, okay, I'll come out. I am a heterosexual! There-I feel better.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I'm straight.

Just sayin.
    As a heterosexual male that's comfortable in my sexuality I would take Brad Pitt over Vince Vaughn.

Oh yeah, can I get Jennifer and Angelina at the same time? I mean besides in my dreams?

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I'm straight.

Just sayin.
    So would I.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    As a heterosexual male that's comfortable in my sexuality I would take Brad Pitt over Vince Vaughn.

Oh yeah, can I get Jennifer and Angelina at the same time? I mean besides in my dreams?
    I much prefer this line of thinking. On both counts.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Most Trek fans have pretty much known this for a long time, he never really hid it just never said it out loud.
    I have read plenty about the original Trek actors over the years, but I hadn't put the pieces of the puzzle together to form this conclusion. Now that George has supplied the missing piece, it makes sense.

BTW, George's official web site is swamped this morning. I wonder if this burst of publicity will ultimately lead to more work for him?

i've always enjoyed George, and of course this changes absolutely nothing about my opinion of the guy at all. i personally could care less what a person does in their private life.
    btw, thanks for the Jennerifer/Angelina image. something to sleep on

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Always amazes me when I see a celebrity "come out". Like it isn't/wasn't common knowledge in Hollywood who is homosexual?

Well I've been hearing Cruise rumors for 18 years from numerous folks who work in the industry... yet here he is on his 3rd marriage...

But seriously he's not gay....... but he is designing Katies wedding dress.... in an atttempt to prove he's not gay?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I have read plenty about the original Trek actors over the years, but I hadn't put the pieces of the puzzle together to form this conclusion. Now that George has supplied the missing piece, it makes sense.

BTW, George's official web site is swamped this morning. I wonder if this burst of publicity will ultimately lead to more work for him?
    Kinda gives new meaning to "to explore strange, new worlds; to seek out new life. To boldly go where no man has gone before."
    Last edited by GAC; 10-28-2005 at 10:39 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Takei's phone calls on the howard stern show are legendarily funny.

I think I take Angelina over Jennifer from what I know about them. Angelina adopted two babies from the third world. They're both hot, but Angelina seems to be a nicer person, even with the tatoos.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?