Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else pre-ordered XBox 360?

Re: Anybody else pre-ordered XBox 360?

You also get wireless controllers instead of wired for that 100 bucks.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    If you want to play old XBox games on the 360 you have to equip it with the additional hard drive, which is an additional hundred bones.
    Leave it to Microsoft to do such a thing

Revolution baby.

But yea Im getttin the 360. Im gettin the trifecta again.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    I had the Atari 2600 when it was new. That thing was state of the art.
    I still have mine, and the 5200 too. We had it out playing it a couple weeks ago.

Pong rocks!

My controllers are shot though. Wish I could find replacements.

I have a question concerning X Box.

My 17 yr old now wants an X Box. Not the new one coming out (no way I can afford one now); but the current one that runs about $150.

I need to know how it can be hooked up to the internet so he can play online.

I currently have a Linksys router with wireless internet going to two other computers in the house. Will the X Box be able to utilize that if I by a card for it?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

GAC, you don't buy a wireless card. You have to buy a Xbox router which will allow the xbox to access your wireless network. They make an offbrand one as well as a Microsoft-produced one. Both cost $100.00. Expensive, I know, but that is the only way to utilize XBox Live via a wireless internet connection. Since they both cost the same, better to go w/ the one made by Microsoft. You just hook it up into the Broadband port in the back and it'll automatically recognize whichever wireless networks are within it's range at which point you decide which wireless network you want it to access.

Hope that helps.

Thx Wily. My son was saying the same thing, but I wanted to check it out to be sure. It looks to me like he is gonna have to make a choice between getting games for that X Box on Christmas or the hookup.

He gets money from grandparents and relatives too, so we'll see how it works out.

He's into the game called Halo.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

NP. Yep, Halo and Halo 2 are def. the "killer apps" for XBox.

Also definitely the most popular game on XBox Live (well, perhaps Halo along w/ Madden, which also has a very large and devoted online fanbase.)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    NP. Yep, Halo and Halo 2 are def. the "killer apps" for XBox.

Also definitely the most popular game on XBox Live (well, perhaps Halo along w/ Madden, which also has a very large and devoted online fanbase.)
    I hate Halo, mostly because law school has erroded any skills I had for playing games of that nature (groomed by many, many hours of "GoldenEye" on the N64 when I was in high school and as a freshman in college). I tried to play on a friend's Xbox over the summer, and was absolutely obliterated by everyone I played with -- both in the room and online.

I can still school anyone with the option on NCAA 2006, though, and I absolutely rock at devestating millions of Browns fans in Madden 2005 by moving their team to Richmond, VA (Catch Virginia Generals football weekly at Robert E. Lee Stadium)-- nobody can take that away from me.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Yep, I'm actually not a big Halo guy myself. Esp. Online; I just don't have the time to reach the proficiency level required to avoid being absolutely mauled by nearly everyone else online.

Sports games are definitely my thing.

There was some talk here of people saying that they prefer PS2 over XBox. I respectfully disagree. I own PS2, XBox, and Gamecube and, from my experiences, XBox is far and away the superior system.

The graphics are superior, there's no question about that.

The initial XBox controller was horrible; better suited for Shaquille O'Neal than mere mortals. However, the new controllers remedied that problem. However, what really does it for me is the button lay-out of the XBox controller. The layout of the "shoulder-buttons" which allow for turbo in bball games or firing your weapon in 1st person shooters, are more like true trigger buttons whereas the PS2 shoulder buttons are just that: shoulder buttons; NOT trigger buttons. This is a very small design difference, but in sports games and 1st person shooters, it makes a world of difference. (the gamecube, btw, w/ it's funky controller design, is NEVER my choice for multi-platform games. The only games I ever buy for Gamecube are Gamecube specific games: Nintendo produced games such as Mario & Zelda which cannot be played on any other system)

When a multi-platform games comes out, the choice for which system to buy it on, for me, is a no-brainer. (esp. when you add in Microsoft's FAR FAR superior online presence, XBox Live)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

It's actually the controller that I most dislike about the Xbox. I'll grant you the graphics point, but I think the XBox controller is just poorly designed, especially on button layout.

While having "Trigger" buttons are nice in certain situations, there's no denying how useful having 4 "shoulder" buttons is, especially for playing sports games like football titles. Having your stiff arm and pitch buttons up top is great for playing football games, since it frees you to use the spead burst or juke moves at the same time while running the option in NCAA.

Plus, the layout of the "White/Black" button on the XBox feels like an afterthought and the move down there with your thumb is difficult while keeping your fingers on the "home" buttons.

I much prefer the feel of the PS2's controller, which is just a perfect design for the vast majority of games, IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I've seen students flunk out of school due to Halo.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan
    Here's a question for those who are in the know: as I understand it there are different price levels for the Xbox360. You can add on extra stuff depending on what you want and don't want. If I buy the base "package" will I be able to play old Xbox games on it? I thought I had read somewhere that in order to do that it would cost an extra $100 and I was curious if anyone knew if that was true or not. If it is I may just wait until the price drops on the original Xbox and get one of those.
    If you're going to buy a XBox 360, I know it hurts a little bit, but go ahead and spend the extra 100 bucks to get the Deluxo package. Not only does it come with the Hard Drive, which costs 100 bucks separately by itself, it comes with:
    - Remote Control (40 bucks)
    - Headset (30-40 bucks)
    - Wireless Controller (10 bucks more than a wired controller; 50 bucks)
    - Gold subscription to XBox Live (versus Silver package w/ basic 360)
    - Component Video hook-ups (50 bucks; core comes w/ old-style)

If you go with the base system, you're still going to be forced to buy a memory card in order to save any game progress. The memory card costs 40 bucks. So.... you're basically looking at a 60-dollar difference between the core and the deluxe, and look at all the extra crap they're throwing in w/ the Deluxe. It really doesn't make much sense to get the base system. However, Microsoft's thinking is that the "harried mom" shopper will balk at 400 no matter how much it pays to go w/ that system while perhaps going for the 300 price point. Plus, when little junior decides he's got to have the HD 6-months down the road, Microsoft turns an even tidier profit.

And what does this all add up to?

Microsoft is still the devil.
    Last edited by WMR; 11-03-2005 at 09:44 AM.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    It's actually the controller that I most dislike about the Xbox. I'll grant you the graphics point, but I think the XBox controller is just poorly designed, especially on button layout.

While having "Trigger" buttons are nice in certain situations, there's no denying how useful having 4 "shoulder" buttons is, especially for playing sports games like football titles. Having your stiff arm and pitch buttons up top is great for playing football games, since it frees you to use the spead burst or juke moves at the same time while running the option in NCAA.

Plus, the layout of the "White/Black" button on the XBox feels like an afterthought and the move down there with your thumb is difficult while keeping your fingers on the "home" buttons.

I much prefer the feel of the PS2's controller, which is just a perfect design for the vast majority of games, IMO.
    I'm with you there. I will give the Xbox the credit for superior graphics, but I just prefer the PS2 controller. Every button is right there within easy reach. It's the perfect controller for sports games, especially Madden and MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor

I see what you're saying.

Like they say, "Different strokes for different folks."

On all sports games, however, even if I did like the PS2 controllers lay-out better (which I don't) or was willing to accept inferior graphics (which I am not), the on-line experience via XBox as opposed to PS2 would get me every time.

I haven't owned a console gaming system since the original Nintendo. But I will probably be purchasing a 360 sometime this winter.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?