Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Residents of Mile High City (!!! HAHA) legalize possession of small amounts of weed

Residents of Mile High City (!!! HAHA) legalize possession of small amounts of weed

If this violates the political thread stuff I'll understand, just found this a really interesting read...

Denver Voters OK Marijuana Possession
    By JON SARCHE, Associated Press Writer
    Wed Nov 2, 7:40 AM ET

DENVER - Residents of the Mile High City have voted to legalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana for adults. Authorities, though, said state possession laws will be applied instead.

With 100 percent of precincts reporting early Wednesday, 54 percent, or 56,001 voters, cast ballots for the ordinance, while 46 percent, or 48,632 voters, voted against it.

Under the measure, residents over 21 years old could possess up to an ounce of marijuana.

"We educated voters about the facts that marijuana is less harmful to the user and society than alcohol," said Mason Tvert, campaign organizer for SAFER, or Safer Alternatives For Enjoyable Recreation. "To prohibit adults from making the rational, safer choice to use marijuana is bad public policy."

Bruce Mirken of the Washington, D.C.-based Marijuana Policy Project said he hoped the approval will launch a national trend toward legalizing a drug whose enforcement he said causes more problems than it cures.

Seattle, Oakland, Calif., and a few college towns already have laws making possession the lowest law enforcement priority.

The Denver proposal seemed to draw at least as much attention for supporters' campaign tactics as it did for the question of legalizing the drug.

Tvert argued that legalizing marijuana would reduce consumption of alcohol, which he said leads to higher rates of car accidents, domestic and street violence and crime.

The group criticized Mayor John Hickenlooper for opposing the proposal, noting his ownership of a popular brewpub. It also said recent violent crimes including the shootings of four people last weekend as a reason to legalize marijuana to steer people away from alcohol use.

Those tactics angered local officials and some voters. Opponents also said it made no sense to prevent prosecution by Denver authorities while marijuana charges are most often filed under state and federal law.

The measure would not affect the medical marijuana law voters approved in 2000. In June, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that medical marijuana laws in Colorado and nine other states would not protect licensed users from federal prosecution.

Also Tuesday, voters in the ski resort town of Telluride rejected a proposal to make possession of an ounce or less of marijuana by people 18 or older the town's lowest law enforcement priority. The measure was rejected on a vote of 308-332.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: Residents of Mile High City (!!! HAHA) legalize possession of small amounts of weed

Is mary-jane less harmful than alcohol to the lungs? I never hear the pro-dope crowd address that topic. They always make references to the crime thing... dopers are less likely to commit violent crimes than drinkers. Sounds kind of short-sighted to me, but maybe my short-term-memory is a bit sharper than the dope-smoking-defenders. But good memory and lungs are not as important as the propensity to commit violent crimes, right? Just ask a dope seller, whose likelihood to carry a non-legal weapon is probably not the same as a guy selling alcohol.

There are all kinds of arguments for all kinds of things that can be drawn without talking about ALL THINGS relative to that issue. We see it in arguments about EVERYTHING. It makes me laugh like mary-jane's rep for making people laugh.
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 11-02-2005 at 11:48 AM.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Re: Residents of Mile High City (!!! HAHA) legalize possession of small amounts of weed

Just ask a dope seller, whose likelihood to carry a non-legal weapon is probably not the same as a guy selling alcohol.
    Unless he's pitching high grain malt liquer on the corner across the street from the boarded up bank.

I just assume legalize it and end some crimes and free up prison space
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Just cautioning everyone to tread carefully with this thread.

Or if someone wants to open a parallel thread over in the annex, that's fine too.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Re: Residents of Mile High City (!!! HAHA) legalize possession of small amounts of we

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500
    I just assume legalize it and end some crimes and free up prison space
    No kidding, we're going to need the room for members of the current administration. :
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Pedro, I know you were joking. But before people get a chance to get all twitterpatted over it, I'm going to close the thread.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?