Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Castellini group expected to buy Reds

Re: Castellini group expected to buy Reds

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    But at least you're not a dyslexic agnostic insomniac, sitting up all night wondering about the existence of Dog.
    An insomniac dyslexic agnostic lay awake all night wondering if there was a Dog.

The next day he mentioned it at the dyslexic's convention and started an argument ....

The dyslexic atheist claimed there was no Dog.

But the dyslexic priest insisted there was a Dog.

"Fine," said the dyslexic philosopher, "but Dog is dead."

"Well," countered a dyslexic fatalist, "it really doesn't matter. Even if there were a Dog, he wouldn't come if you called him!"

"Ah," said the priest, "Dog ex machina!"

Pay attention to the open sky

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    all the way to a hint of McCarthyism preventing the Reds from hiring a Theo Epstein type of GM
    I happen to know his dad, took three classes with the man in college, kept in touch afterward. Joe McCarthy left a big scar on that family. I know for a fact, because I've heard him say it out loud, that Theo's father gets real uneasy around conservatives. Doesn't trust them, doesn't like them.

I have no idea how much of that filtered down to his son, but Theo's twin brother wears his liberality on his sleeve in town (most people do, it's a liberal town) and he brings Theo in on some of his projects. We also know for a fact that Theo's willing to be picky. He just walked away from his dream job because he didn't like the associated atmospherics.

So I don't think it's much of a stretch to assert that given his family's actual history with McCarthyism and his father's stated distaste for conservativism and Theo's demonstrated caution in picking his job that it would be highly unlikely the new Reds ownership would stand much of a chance in landing the guy. Even if they gave him everything he wanted, he might balk simply because Cincinnati isn't his kind of town.

So do I think Castellini's conservativism is going to drive away good GM candidates? No, not at all. Do I think it would be a specific problem with Theo Epstein? Hell yes.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Do I think it would be a specific problem with Theo Epstein? Hell yes.
    Then that's Theo's problem, not one that should be layed at the feet of someone else when there may be no validity to the brush they've just been tarred with.

Rem

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

The one thing I see that too much emphasis may be resting is Castellini and Lindner's real estate transaction that became PBS as a smoking gun for status quo. One power broker helping out another power broker with a high profile transaction does not mean that they will be peas in a pod when it comes to owning a MLB franchise. For example, my boss and I share many views and get along famously and he would help me take over this firm one day when he's ready to get out, but that does not mean that if I was handed the keys that I'd drive it the same way because we do differ in management styles. Likewise, I think that allows Castellini the benefit of the doubt at this point, especially since he has a track record of ownership in successful franchises.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Then that's Theo's problem, not one that should be layed at the feet of someone else when there may be no validity to the brush they've just been tarred with.
    No duh. Could I have been more specific that it would be a poor fit due to THEO'S background more than anything else?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Heck, think we can convince them to just hire WOY as the GM? We all know he'd be better than DanO and he could give us all the inside scoop on trades. I wonder what his thank you speech would be like though. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    No duh. Could I have been more specific that it would be a poor fit due to THEO'S background more than anything else?
    You could have been more responsible than bringing it up in the first place and implying that these new owners are 'threatening' people even if the perception is on the beholder, in this case.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I don't believe in dogs either.
    The question remains: Can one believe in dogs...yet still believe that they cannot look up?

"Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    You could have been more responsible than bringing it up in the first place and implying that these new owners are 'threatening' people even if the perception is on the beholder, in this case.
    That's your misreading of what I wrote. Can't do anything about that. I didn't imply a damn thing. Theo comes from a family scarred by McCarthyism, conservative owners in Cincinnati likely isn't his cup of tea. Kind of a germane point to make when discussing the likelihood of getting him to take a job with the Reds.

Shrug

I see that my Shaun reference did nothing to steer the thread back towards to the real topic here: Dogs.

Easy with the pol undercurrents guys, Big Brother is watching and this thread is too good to be slammed shut.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    We should all reserve judgment on this. I'm probably over-reacting here becaue I had hopes for the Broadway guys. And I'm a marketing guy myself, so I'm predisposed to want that expertise oozing from the ownership group. The Castellin companies are very successful companies, but marketing is not what they do well.
    You call yourself a marketing guy yet you seem to ignore that marketing is a multi-facted business dynamic and, just because it isn't directed toward you personally, doesn't mean it's ineffective or non-exisitant.

If you really are a student of marketing you know that there are many shapes, forms and channels of marketing. Just because Castellini Bros. sell fruits and vegatables doesn't mean they aren't marketing their product. It may mean that they are marketing their prouct to someone other than you directly and, based upon their apparent success, they are doing it very well.

Rem

I'm aware of all the facets of marketing. But plenty of companies are successful without being very good at marketing or even needing to be very good at marketing. The Castellini core competence is manufacturing and distribution. They do that very well and that's why they make money. It's a good business model for the businesses they're in. But they aren't a marketing company and do very little of it. They don't need to. They will need to as owners of the Reds, something I'm sure they're very aware of. I was only suggesting that my preference would have have been an ownership group who came with a track record of being great marketers. That doesn't mean I think Castellini is incapable of it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

On the local news last night, they said the Castellani Brothers are one of the leading fruit/vegetable distributors in the nation... sounds like they've learned how to market their products. And with their baseball history, I'm hoping they've learned a thing or two (or ten) about marketing a baseball team.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Not for nuthin'...but there is a distinct difference between "Marketing" a product and taking advantage of obvious and efficient channels of distribution with said product. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Big Brother is watching
    ....and paint is his name.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?