Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Castellini group expected to buy Reds

Re: Castellini group expected to buy Reds

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    What has Allen done to warrant keeping his job?
    I didn't say he should keep his current job. Quite the opposite. If they want to move him to some position where he doesn't do any PR or run the day to day operations of the franchise, it's no skin off my nose. If he didn't want to accept that position, I'd tell him to hit the bricks.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    The guy has been around for 8 years (I think) and all he can be given credit for is retireing a few jerseys and temporarily bringing back RedsFest.
    I would wager a good portion of money that if it wasn't for John Allen, there would be no Redsfest, there would have been no jersey retirements to honor some of this team's legends, there would be no Hall of Fame inductees, there would be no Hall of Fame building to honor this team's great history and there would have been no magical season in '99 because he was the person who shepherded the organization between Marge and Lindner.

I think people forget some of the things he contributed to the organization simply because the team hasn't performed on the field.

I'm sure he's done some good things, john. But I'm a little skeptical that none of the things you mentioned would have happened without John Allen. It's not like without him the job would have been vacant. Someone would have been in charge and I don't think things like jersey retirements and a Reds HOF are exactly flashes of brilliance. I think they're a lot closer to low hanging fruit than they are any kind of originality.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luvdozer
    I could be completely wrong on all of this, but I dont believe anyone (outside of the parties) would necessarily know whether or not Lindner took the highest bid.

The reason the Harrington bid played out as a fiasco was that the seller was the Jean Yawkey Trust - a charitable trust created by the estate of the late Jean Yawkey. Her will stated that the Red Sox had to be sold within a certain period of time and all proceeds had to go to the trust. In Massachusetts, charities (including charitable trusts) are regulated by the Attorney General. He has broad powers to make sure that they handle the money wisely and give away a certain and dont waste lots of money on staff (I'm simplifying the regs here). This oversight by the AG is the price that charities pay for not have to pay any taxes.

I dont remember the exact dollar figures, but when it became public that Werner\Henry\Luchino actually had a lower bid than Harrington, the AG stepped in because that necessarily means less money to the Yawkey trust. He has the power to prevent a trust from shortchanging itself. In the end, there was some sort of settlement that I dont remember.

The important point is that, if the seller had been Jean Yawkey - rather than the Jean Yawkey charitable trust - and Harrington went public claiming he had a higher bid, I think Yawkey could have told him to go pound sand and no one could have done anything about it.

MLB could have turned down the deal, but MLB isnt really about maximizing the sale price as much as it is about approving membership in the boys club...oops, did I say that out loud?
    Thanks for the clarification.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I was just trying to keep the chain going. I figured we could get a few dozen homespun gems in there.

For instance - It's like picking your pooh up out of the toilet to make sure it smells bad.
    "Ugh, smell like dog poop...feel like dog poop...taste like dog poop...must be dog poop!

Whew. Good thing we no step in it...."
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Somewhere I read (maybe this thread but not sure) that the Castellini group just came into the picture the last 30 days or so. Now personally I find that hard to believe. Does anyone else remember talk that the "potential" new owners nixed the Griffey trade? Personally that didn't make sense to me before because I couln't see how they would know who the new owners were to scuttle a deal. Now after reading the links with Lindner and Castellini, I can see a possibility of Carl calling him up and asking permission to make the trade. Anyone have an opinion there?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    Somewhere I read (maybe this thread but not sure) that the Castellini group just came into the picture the last 30 days or so. Now personally I find that hard to believe. Does anyone else remember talk that the "potential" new owners nixed the Griffey trade? Personally that didn't make sense to me before because I couln't see how they would know who the new owners were to scuttle a deal. Now after reading the links with Lindner and Castellini, I can see a possibility of Carl calling him up and asking permission to make the trade. Anyone have an opinion there?
    Now that I've had time to digest this whole thing, I think you're probably right. Needless to say, but it answers a lot of questions. Since no one had a clew that Castellini was involved and that he was Carl's adopted son, maybe this was the plan all along and they just went through the motions on bids so as to make it legitimate? That explains the no-trade of Griffey, the retaining of O'Brien (briefly), the one year deal for Narron and the non-offer to John Allen.

And then again, I may be all wet on this.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I just think that Carl knew that "someone" would be buying the club, and that Griffey would make them more attractive as a franchise for sale.

Maybe the Castellini's were foremost in Carl's mind, but alot could have happened between then and now.

The most important thing to me is what will happen in the near future.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I just think that Carl knew that "someone" would be buying the club, and that Griffey would make them more attractive as a franchise for sale.

Maybe the Castellini's were foremost in Carl's mind, but alot could have happened between then and now.

The most important thing to me is what will happen in the near future.
    Well, to me, it sounds like too much of a coincidence that the club landed in Castellini's hands with the history there. Matters not, though and I agree with your premise that the future is the key.

Sometimes it takes a great baseball mind to sort this all out, something that is in short supply around the Reds. Leaving DanO in charge would be the first sign that we have idiots in the house. I fear what might happen. Tell Danny Boy that we need pitching might result in what we saw in 1964. Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas. Superstar hitter for potential superstar pitcher. Robinson was the Orioles' and the league's MVP in 1965. Pappas sucked. Big time. To prove history does repeat itself, the Reds needed pitching in 1965 ( the big three of Jay, Purkey and O'Toole had run its course), so they sacrificed Frankie for Milton Pappas. In 2004, the Reds needed pitching (because they had none) and they signed Eric Milton, who sucked. Scary, huh?

I can see a confident O'Brien, eager to prove himself, trading Adam Dunn for a similar Milton clone (pick whichever one you want). Real Scary.

If the Castellini group is serious about this club, they'll cut DanO off at the knees, send John Allen on his way, and put the coaching staff and field management on notice.

As confident was I was two days ago, I am now in a funk about this whole thing. Yes, the change is good, but how good? We'll know by the first of the month.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I have nothing substantive to add to this discussion at the moment, except I know a guy who grew up around the corner from the Castellini's. The kids in this hood called him Mr. "Cast-a-weeny."
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Everyone on this board gets a case of Falls City Beer (bottles baby) if Allen and DanO actually get the axe.

Something tells me my wallet stays in my pocket.
    Did John Allen get fired? I know, technically, he resigned, but I think it was a sort of "self-axe".

No time line on the wager either, so...

Refreshing to see this thread again. Or not.

Oh, how hope springs eternal in Redsland...
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Are we better off now than we were 38 months ago?

That's all I've got.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I have nothing substantive to add to this discussion at the moment, except I know a guy who grew up around the corner from the Castellini's. The kids in this hood called him Mr. "Cast-a-weeny."
    Somehow this post seems more relevant now.

I think I'm gonna cry.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?