Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvin Lewis removes Chad Johnson's List

Marvin Lewis removes Chad Johnson's List

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9901535/

CINCINNATI - Chad Johnson has a new editor for his provocative checklists — an unamused head coach with a finger on the delete key.

The Bengals’ star receiver created a special list for his locker this week, tweaking the Baltimore Ravens as a lead-up to their game. When he arrived on Wednesday morning, he found it had been replaced.

A new checklist challenged the Pro Bowl receiver to study, block and lead — and, indirectly, to keep his mouth shut heading into a game that the Bengals (6-2) need to win to ensure they’ll stay in first place in the AFC North.

Coach Marvin Lewis was now editor-in-chief.

“He messed up my fun for the week, man,” Johnson said with a disappointed shake of his shaved head.

Lewis quickly and proudly fessed up to replacing the provocative checklist late Tuesday night, laminating his version just before midnight.

“His list was good. My list is important,” Lewis said with a broad smile and serious tone. “It’s up there.”

And there it shall stay, replacing one that wasn’t up long enough for outsiders to see. Johnson declined to say what was on it, fearing his coach’s wrath.

“He took it,” Johnson said. “That could have made the Hall of Fame of all lists. That was a good one.”

It wasn’t his first.

At the start of the season, Johnson posted a laminated list in his locker with a headline asking: Who covered No. 85 in ’05? Each opponent and its top cornerback was listed below, followed by checkoff boxes for a “yes” or a “no” decision.

At road games, fans have made up their own versions of the checklist, having a little fun with the fun-loving receiver. Lewis hated the list, bristling whenever it was mentioned. But he left Johnson’s locker alone — until now.

Johnson is particularly excited facing the Ravens’ defense. He has spent time learning techniques from Deion Sanders, and heard a lot of stories about Ray Lewis from his head coach, who was the Ravens’ defensive coordinator when they won the 2000 NFL title.

“This is my week here, man,” Johnson said. “This is the week of all weeks. I’ve been waiting for Baltimore.”

Last year, Johnson had two solid games against the Ravens. He caught eight passes for 99 yards in a 23-9 loss in Cincinnati, then caught 10 passes for 161 yards in a 27-26 comeback victory in Baltimore.

At his coach’s insistence, Johnson has toned down his talk leading up to games this season — no more win guarantees, no more antacid shipments to opposing defensive backs. The only thing that stood out was his checklist.

When Lewis learned of the new one during the players’ day off Tuesday, he made sure no one would see it. Lewis posted his own list asking whether Johnson does everything necessary this week — study extra tape, block, avoid mental errors and so forth — to help his team win, followed by blank “yes” and “no” boxes.

Asked which one of them would decide which boxes to check after the game, Lewis summed up the entire situation in one word.

“Me,” he said.

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marvin Lewis removes Chad Johnson's List

HAHAHAHAHAHA That's classic Marvin.

I wonder if Marvin wants a leather chair from Sharper Image. I know two in storage at the GABP....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Any guesses on what was written on "Chad's Special Baltimore List?"

Should Deion Retire?

Will Ray Lewis try to kill me if I go across the middle?

The possibilities are endless.

After reviewing his list, I think Marvin forgot:

"Remember to polish teeth?" YES / NO

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Any guesses on what was written on "Chad's Special Baltimore List?"

Should Deion Retire?

Will Ray Lewis try to kill me if I go across the middle?

The possibilities are endless.
    Well, will "The Knife" play on Sunday?

I'm a steelr fan but constantly get a kick out of CJ - and he is one hell of a reciever.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I am VERY afraid of the Ravens this weekend. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and pick them to win the game...

Baltimore 24
    Cincinnati 20

FWIW, I didn't post it on this board, I don't think, but I picked Pittsburgh 27-17 over the Bengals their last game, so my fearless prognostications should not be taken with a grain of salt!

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    I am VERY afraid of the Ravens this weekend. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and pick them to win the game...
    I think Marvin is right there with you Macro; hence, this whole "Chad list shakeup" this week. Nobody relishes coaching against their former mates--too many tendencies are known. I have NERVOUSLY picked the Bengals to cover this weekend--hoping that Baltimore coming off the short week will help somewhat.

Here's to Jamal Lewis kicking the ball around one more Sunday

Bengals 35 - Ravens 17

WHO DEY

Statement game for the Bengals.

I don't think Ray Lewis is playing. That will help. Torching them in the fourth quarter late last season will also help our confidence level, I think. The only chance the Ravens have is to hold us under 17 points because I don't think their QB will fare well in the passing game. As long as Jamaal Lewis doesn't run all over us, and that's a big if, we should be able to get out of there with a win.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I don't think Ray Lewis is playing. That will help. Torching them in the fourth quarter late last season will also help our confidence level, I think. The only chance the Ravens have is to hold us under 17 points because I don't think their QB will fare well in the passing game. As long as Jamaal Lewis doesn't run all over us, and that's a big if, we should be able to get out of there with a win.
    Both Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are out with injuries.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Baltimore 24
    Cincinnati 20
    macro, I hate to jinx us, but I don't think the Ravens can put up 24 points on us, even at home.

If we go down, it's going to be one of those 13-10 heartbreakers.

And this whole list thing is sort of, I don't know, sad. Chad Johnson is the best thing to come along in that city for a long while, at least as far as adding visibility. No one takes him seriously, which is a wonderful thing.

One of my direct reports at work saw my Bengals helmets on my desk and couldn't stop talking about Chad. We're way down here in Tampa, and they all love him, and it's because he is truly fun-loving, just as the article states. I think the team needs some swagger, and he normally hits the perfect note.

This sounds more like Marvin is tired of dealing with it more than anything.

And his list is boring, too.

I didn't realize you were in Tampa, Dom. I spent about 5 weeks there in March and April. We could have met up and hit the Mons. Actually, a few of the guys I was down there with went there the night before we left. I refrained from going. Not my scene.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    macro, I hate to jinx us, but I don't think the Ravens can put up 24 points on us, even at home.

If we go down, it's going to be one of those 13-10 heartbreakers.
    You know what? You're exactly right. I don't know exactly what I was thinking when I made that prediction. The Ravens haven't scored on anyone this season. A 13-10 loss would be much more likely than 24-20.

In all honesty, now that I've more closely examined the Ratbirds' season thus far, I think the Bengals should win this one. I didn't realize that they have been as bad as they have been. Surely...surely they won't decide to come alive tomorrow.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Turn Off Ads?