Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coke to phase out Vanilla Coke

Re: Coke to phase out Vanilla Coke

No big deal. Now if Frisch's ever stopped serving Vanilla Coke I'd break down and cry!

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Subway downtown just switched their fountain from Pepsi to Coke. I had to find a new place for lunch because I can't stand Diet Coke.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

That means I'll have to start buying regular Coke and vanilla Stoli instead of vanilla Coke and regular, cheaper vodka.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

As long as the Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper stays on the market, I'll be a VERY happy man.

By far the greatest diet soda ever created -- I actually forget it's diet while drinking it!
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

WAGS

do diet drinks really work? this thought just popped into my mind as i'm reading this.

i never really liked how diet coke tasted, it was more of a watered-down coke...and if i wanted that i'd just leave my ice in my cup over night and drink it in the morning.

the only pepsi product i will drink till the day i die is mountian dew...i've officially named it liquid crack, because once i start drinking it i can't stop.

thank god i've been drinking a lot of water latley cause that stuff was messing with me lol

Quote Originally Posted by ghettochild
    do diet drinks really work? this thought just popped into my mind as i'm reading this.
    They work to keep my blood from turning to pure sugar, which is a good thing for a diabetic.

I thought diet vanilla coke was undrinkable, though. The diet Dr. Pepper cherry vanilla thing, as mentioned earlier, is the best out there, but I also like diet lime pepsi, which is difficult to find.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettochild
    the only pepsi product i will drink till the day i die is mountian dew...i've officially named it liquid crack, because once i start drinking it i can't stop.

thank god i've been drinking a lot of water latley cause that stuff was messing with me lol
    i was once literally addicted to the stuff, until about 10 years ago, when i went cold turkey. still drank a lot of pop until about two years ago, when i decided to just stick to water and pure lemonade.
    amazingly, after kicking the dew habit, i began to sleep regular hours.
    after kicking the pop habit, i began to lose weight.

personally, i think coke is the best thing out there...but a few years ago, i switched over to diet coke, to save on the calories...i like diet coke in restaurants, but at home, i prefer to drink the diet vanilla, diet cherry or even coke zero...they're diet, but with a little more flavor...now that the vanilla version is going away, i'm certainly hoping that it's replacement will be worth while...if only i were younger, i'd go back to the original, but those extra 140 calories sure do add up fast when your metabolism is slowing down...

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I've found that the splenda diet beverages taste the best (PepsiOne or DietCoke-with-splenda). I don't mind Diet Sunkist either. Since I'm a law student who also works a full time job and also hates coffee, diet caffienated beverages are mandatory.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    "I don't know if we have ever taken out a flavor and brought it back to the market"

Classic Coke says "hello".
    Classic Coke isn't the same as the Coke that was on the market before the introduction of new Coke. The original Coke was made with sugar and classic Coke contains high fructose corn syrup. Actually if we want to get really technical, the real original Coke was made with cocaine.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_033.html
    Dear Cecil:

When Coca-Cola launched the ill-fated New Coke, news accounts said the change in Coke's legendary flavor formula was the first in the company's 99-year history.

But back when Coke got started, the company led the public to believe that the coca shrub--the source of cocaine--provided one of the ingredients, giving consumers that extra lift that we now associate with mirrors, tiny spoons, and rolled-up hundred-dollar bills.

Of course back then cocaine was legal and sold over the counter. So how can Coke say the formula hasn't changed in 99 years? Has cocaine been part of their formula up till now? Or were they misleading the public back in 1886? Did they change the formula when cocaine became illegal?

Personally I don't particularly care about cocaine one way or the other. All I want to know is if Coke was then or is now fibbing. --Phillip F., Los Angeles

Cecil replies:

Depends on your definition of fibbing, Felipe. But here, let me tell the whole sordid tale.

Coke was originally formulated in 1886 by one John Styth Pemberton, an Atlanta druggist and former Confederate army officer. Among other things it contained (and presumably still contains) three parts coca leaves to one part cola nut.

The new soft drink was one of many concoctions in that era containing cocaine, which was being touted as a benign substitute for alcohol. Coke, in fact, was promoted as a patent medicine, which would "cure all nervous afflictions--Sick Headache, Neuralgia, Hysteria, Melancholy, Etc...."

How much cocaine Coke actually contained and how much kick you got from it is not known (a Coke spokesman today says the amount was "trivial"). But for years Southerners called the stuff "dope" or "a shot in the arm," while soda fountains were called "hop joints" and Coke delivery trucks "dope wagons."

In the 1890s, however, public sentiment began to turn against cocaine, which among other things was believed to be a cause of racial violence by drug-crazed blacks. In 1903 the New York Tribune published an article linking cocaine with black crime and calling for legal action against Coca-Cola.

Shortly thereafter Coke quietly switched from fresh to "spent" coca leaves (i.e., what's left over after the cocaine has been removed). It also stopped advertising Coke as a cure for what ails you and instead promoted it simply as a refreshing beverage.

Does the substitution of denatured coca for The Real Thing constitute a change in the magic Coke formula? Not according to Coke.

The true source of Coke's unique flavor, the company contends, lies not in the coca/cola combination but in the special mix of oils and flavorings added thereto, including the mysterious ingredient known as Merchandise 7X.

The formula is kept in a bank vault and known to only a handful of Coke employees (and of course at least one other person--but I'll never tell). It was this formula that Coke changed when it introduced the infamous New Coke, replacing Merchandise 7X with an updated Merchandise 7X-100.

There are those who say that Asa Candler, who bought the infant Coke company from Pemberton, tinkered with the formula a bit before settling on a version that he liked; and these folks claim that the formula thus cannot truly be said to be 99 years old. Others regard this as contemptible nitpicking.

Still, whatever may be said about the formula, Coke's taste has certainly altered over the years. The most radical (and to serious Coke aficionados, most upsetting) change came in 1980, when Coke, in an effort to control costs, permitted its bottlers to substitute high-fructose corn sweetener for the beet and cane sugar once used in the product.

The result was that Coke's previously crisp and bracing taste was sadly blunted. For that reason I didn't share the feelings of the fanatics who stocked up on "old" Coke when the new version was first introduced. The regrettable fact is that Coke hasn't been It for many years.
    Twice as much caffeine, real sugar and a trace of cocaine --- hence the catch phrase "A Pause to Refresh"

I've found that the splenda diet beverages taste the best (PepsiOne or DietCoke-with-splenda).
    Diet Coke with splenda does taste better than regular Diet Coke. I think it tastes a little like nutmeg.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I find diet drinks scary... some I hear cause... Shrinkage!!
    http://www.wnho.net/splenda.htm
    In a simple word you would just as soon have DDT in your food as Splenda, because sucralose is a chlorocarbon. The chlorocarbons have long been famous for causing organ, genetic, and reproductive damage. It should be no surprise, therefore, that the testing of sucralose, even at less than the level demanded by FDA rules, reveals that it has been shown to cause up to 40% shrinkage of the thymus: A gland that is the very foundation of our immune system. It also causes swelling of the liver and kidneys, and CALCIFICATION of the kidney.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Some of us could use some.... Shrinkage!! heh heh

But seriously, I'm not doubting diet soda is bad for you. I just find it to be a healthier alternative to 1. amphetamines 2. 250-calorie-per-bottle non diet soda and 3. coffee/tea (both of which I find to taste like swampwater).

When I get my 20 hour per week 2 million dollar per year job, I'll quit caffeine cold turkey. But when I'm effectively working an 80 hour work week (school and work combined), I gotta stay awake.
    Stick to your guns.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I've found that the splenda diet beverages taste the best (PepsiOne or DietCoke-with-splenda). I don't mind Diet Sunkist either. Since I'm a law student who also works a full time job and also hates coffee, diet caffienated beverages are mandatory.
    Seriously...I'm up to 3 20oz bottles of soda in order to make it through a day of classes and my job here at law school.

If I hadn't switched cold-turkey to diet as a 1L, I'd weigh somewhere close to 400 pounds now.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?