Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy college football Saturday

Crazy college football Saturday

VT gets routed by Miami in Blacksburg.
    UCLA gets pounded by Arizona 52-14.
    Florida State loses at home to NC State.
    Florida needs 2OTs to hold off Vandy who hasn't won in the Swamp since 1945.
    Penn State pounds Wisco and is one win away (against MSU who lost to Purdue today) from a Big 10 title.
    Texas and USC win by 4.8 million points.
    And in local news OSU won and Troy Smith almost passed for 300 yards.

Say it with me now Buckeye fans: Go Green, Go White :

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Crazy college football Saturday

Vandy has a QB that will play a LONG time on Sundays..I don't give a flip if it's Vandy...great game and I'm glad I can breath again
    Go Gators!

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

The scary thing? Penn State is supposed to be a year away.

We'll see with Penn State. They will be good next year, but losing key seniors is always a difficult thing. I forget the name of the QB that's stepping in next year but he was very highly recruited. He's the guy that had commited to Pitt and then switched on signing day two years ago. Still when you switch your QB from a senior that is a team leader to a new guy it will usually cost your team one or maybe two losses.

The team that really has to be thinking what if is Miami. They completely outplayed FSU in the first game of the season and still found a way to lose. Wow did they look impressive tonight. I really thought VT was the best team in the nation and they looked like a high school team against the Hurricanes. The what if train seems a little longer this year with Penn State (last second against Michgan), Georgia (Shockley getting hurt), Notre Dame (the Bush Push and MSU meltdown), Ohio State (tough breaks against Texas and PSU), Miami (what I said above) and at the next stop Alabama (schedule way to hard to finish the season).

Just got back from the VT/Miami game. I think it was a total shock to alot of fans. Everybody was stunned at the game. Tech couldnt even get a third down until the 4th quarter when they finally scored. Way to many fumbles and little things by the Hokies and they definatly needed an A+ game for a win. The refs looked terrible from the stands on a couple of calls. Miami definatly deserves the #3 spot now. There fans travel really well.

All is quiet in Blacksburg tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    The scary thing? Penn State is supposed to be a year away.
    They lose their entire defensive secondary to graduation this year. Not sure who else is graduating, but I thought they mentioned during the game yesterday that it was something like 9-10 starters.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The worst thing about all this? All these undefeated teams losing bails the BCS out for yet another year.

And we're now all but guaranteed a lopsided blowout of a national title game when another very overrated team from the Big 12 (an absolute joke of a conference this year) gets flattened.

I love college football, but I just can't make myself care about the system the way it currently exists.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I have to admit that Troy Smith has impressed me at QB these last few games. My raggin' on him earlier must have worked.

He is 1st in the conference with a QB rating off 165.12 (4th in the nation), and his passing efficiency (165.12) also leads the division. But is 11th in passing yardage (1265). Northwestern's QB Basanez (whom we face this next week) leads the conference with 2507.

OSU and NW are about even in rushing yards per game (180+). But NW leads the division in PYPG with 319, while OSU is 8th (219).

But I look at NW's schedule and go "ho-hum". They play us at home, and I want to see how they do against our "D".
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Bear Down Arizona
    Let's cheer for Arizona
    Let's lift our voices high
    Let's cheer for Arizona
    The Bear Down battle cry
    Let's cheer our team to victory
    Let's cheer our team to fame
    Let's cheer for Arizona
    For spirit wins the game!

Bear Down Arizona
    Bear Down Red and Blue
    Bear Down Arizona
    Hit 'em hard.
    Let 'em know who's who
    Bear Down Arizona
    Bear Down Red and Blue
    Go! Go! Wildcats go!
    Arizona Bear Down
    Pennant or bust!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I have to admit that Troy Smith has impressed me at QB these last few games. My raggin' on him earlier must have worked.
    Mine, too. I think I said here that I was ready for Tressel to give the rest of the snaps to Zwick or Boeckman after the Texas game. It still puzzles me why Ginn only touched the ball 3x that day.

If they can't be hot all season, this is a good time for the Buckeyes to peak.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Az Red
    Bear Down Arizona
    Let's cheer for Arizona
    Let's cheer for Arizona
    The Bear Down battle cry
    Let's cheer for Arizona

Bear Down Arizona
    Bear Down Red and Blue
    Bear Down Arizona
    Hit 'em hard.
    Let 'em know who's who
    Bear Down Arizona
    Bear Down Red and Blue
    Go! Go! Wildcats go!
    Arizona Bear Down

Sing on brother!

Bear Down Arizona
    Let's cheer for Arizona
    Let's cheer for Arizona
    The Bear Down battle cry
    Let's cheer for Arizona

Bear Down Arizona
    Bear Down Red and Blue
    Bear Down Arizona
    Hit 'em hard.
    Let 'em know who's who
    Bear Down Arizona
    Bear Down Red and Blue
    Go! Go! Wildcats go!
    Arizona Bear Down

I'm still hoarse from the game last night. Probably the most fun Wildcats game I've been to in 10 years.

And we're now all but guaranteed a lopsided blowout of a national title game when another very overrated team from the Big 12 (an absolute joke of a conference this year) gets flattened.
    The Big 12 is very weak this year, but Texas is hardly overrated.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I still see the same thing that happened to Miami a few years back happening to USC, they will cruise into the NC game and get smacked because they think they have it won already.
    Go Gators!

I don't see USC losing this year.

In my opinion, Texas is no better than 2004 Oklahoma, who USC beat 55-19 for the championship.

Smith is blah.

His 'great' performances have come against Michigan State, Indiana, Minnesota, and Illinois. Color me unimpressed. When it mattered he couldn't/didn't come through and now he's running up his numbers against the Reds pitching staff of College football defenses.

Turn Off Ads?