Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sex at School Increasing, Some Educators Say

Re: Sex at School Increasing, Some Educators Say

I'm twenty years out of high school, but people did it everywhere back then too. Under the bleachers, in the band room, backstage in the auditorium, in the lighting room at the auditorium, in the media room at the library, in the "broadcast booth" at the football field, in the weight room, in various bathrooms and classrooms, in locker rooms, in equipment rooms, in the parking lot, in the courtyard and out along the cross country course. Having procured a master key and license to roam the halls freely during my study halls, I preferred the planetarium room, which sat vacant all year long and had double-reinforced walls.

The only thing that shocks me is that people somehow still manage to register shock over teenage sex. For more than 30 years we've known that the overwhelming majority of high schoolers don't make it to graduation as virgins. I mean, what are parents up in arms about? Oh my, they're having sex ... just like we did?
    Last edited by M2; 11-13-2005 at 02:54 AM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sex at School Increasing, Some Educators Say

I disagree...concerning the statement that an overwhelming majority of our teens didn't make it to graduation as virgins. 30-40 years ago, yes, there were teens having sex. But it was not at, or near the levels that we are seeing today. Not even close.

There was alot more bragging back then by the guys, then actual sex going on.

Because if there was as much sex going on back then, as there is now among our teens in school, then why was there not the problem (and statistics) with STDs, and unwanted pregnancies?

I'm not saying that teens back then, such as myself, were puritans either. But I went to a city school with a graduating class of 300. In my 4 years of high school (and everyone knew who/what was going on), there was one instance of a girl getting pregnant (cheerleader by the QB). It caused such a stir because she was white and he was black, and she was kicked off the cheerleading squad and suspended... and no action was taken against him.

And even if it was going on at the levels we are seeing now, which again I don't believe, it doesn't make it right, or that parents shouldn't be concerned, or that school systems shouldn't be taking measures to prevent it. It is all about education concerning the risks, and protecting our children. Not looking the other way. Or saying with a "shoulder shrug" - kids are going to do it anyway.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?