Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else tired of Chris Berman?

Is anyone else tired of Chris Berman?

It seems like he's said those inane plays on player's names, oh, maybe, ten million times.

If I hear Curtis "my favorite" martin one more time I'm going to puke.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    WAGS

Re: Is anyone else tired of Chris Berman?

Whoop

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

thankfully since I have the NFL channel I no longer have to hear his babble on football.

Working your way off ESPN at all costs goes a long way towards enriching your sports experience.

Fumbleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Go Gators!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    It seems like he's said those inane plays on player's names, oh, maybe, ten million times.

If I hear Curtis "my favorite" martin one more time I'm going to puke.
    I find the "Back, back, back, back...gone!" during a damned home run derby to be the low point in Chris Berman's career.

The truly great talent of ESPN grows up and leaves (see: Olbermann, Kieth and Kilborn, Craig). The rest attempt to carve out little fiefdoms for themselves by trying to be personalities that are larger than the games they cover. In some cases it ends up being horribly cliched (Stuart Scott), in some cases it ends up being horribly dated (Chris Berman), and in some cases it ends up just being horrible (Sean Salisbury & John Clayton's "arguments").

ESPN is an interesting animal...in control, to a large extent, of how the public percieves sports (especially out-of-market sports) and who becomes the stars of those sports. But also, on the other hand, terribly beholdent to the various entities that grant them access to those sports and players. This is nowhere more evident than with the NFL, where it doesn't take a conspiracy theorist long to conclude that ESPN buries things the NFL doesn't like both publicly (cancelling "Playmakers") and not-so-publicly (see their lack of coverage on the "Ron Mexico" Fiasco, the Clock-gaffe in Pittsburgh, etc.)

It's a weird symbiotic relationship that taints a lot of the credibility ESPN has, in my opinion.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Back Back Back Back Back Back Back Back Back
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

For a Level Playing Field

Berman doesn't bother me. Funny how things change over time. He used to be one of the most popular guys doing the "sports studio thing". I still enjoy the ESPN Primetime show with Berman, Tom Jackson and the others. I can understand how some might find him annoying, but I like the enthusiasm. Football is the type of sport, muscle and pain, that calls for an overzealous highlights announcer.

Keep in mind that I also really like Dick Vitale's style.... and I always used to like the controversial and arrogant Howard Cosell during his prime.

I don't mind him so much during NFL Countdown and Prime Time. His is knowledgeable and passionate about football - even though his borrowed catchphrases ("he could go all the way") get tiresome.

His Sportscenter appearances is where I have a major problem with him. He has totally ruined The Plays Of The Week segment, which used to be very entertaining with Olberman/Patrick. Last week, the death of Giants owner Wellington Mara was #6! Huh? This week's "plays" were even more excrutiating. Dan Marino receiving his ring of honor from the Dolphins was in the top in the top five. To top it off he threw in a running back from Brown who scored four touchdowns. Why is this significant? Brown University is the alma mater of one Chris Berman. It doesn't matter that 99.5% of the audience doesn't care what he's talking about. he'll tell us anyway.

It's just awful how he just has free rein to do whatever he wants. What he's doing is alienating intelligent sports viewers, and it's nice to see I'm not alone in my distaste for "Boomer." Thanks for starting the thread Wily Mo. You made my day!!

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

The truly great talent of ESPN grows up and leaves (see: Olbermann, Kieth and Kilborn, Craig).
    The worst thing 2 of the 3 guys did (Olberman, Kilborn) was leave ESPN. Olberman has one of the lowest rating shows (while passing off a faux fair persona) on cable and Kilborn went from the Daily Show to that late late show to zilch.

Dan Patrick is stll raking it in nursing on the ESPN teet and is a smart man for it.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Berman was the first ESPN sportscaster to do shtick. Now that most ESPNers have a gimmick, Chris's shtick looks tired. If he hangs it up, he might have to do real work to avoid looking tired. It would be nice if the bosses at ESPN would make them all hang it up. This includes you, Stuart Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Berman was the first ESPN sportscaster to do shtick. Now that most ESPNers have a gimmick, Chris's shtick looks tired. If he hangs it up, he might have to do real work to avoid looking tired. It would be nice if the bosses at ESPN would make them all hang it up. This includes you, Stuart Scott.
    Good point; now that I think about it, Stuart Scott's "ebonics" act is perhaps even more played out than Berman's.

BTW, has anyone noticed how that tall, nerdy guy with glasses (his name escapes me at the moment) tries to impersonate Stuart Scott with his delivery and terminology?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Good point; now that I think about it, Stuart Scott's "ebonics" act is perhaps even more played out than Berman's.

BTW, has anyone noticed how that tall, nerdy guy with glasses (his name escapes me at the moment) tries to impersonate Stuart Scott with his delivery and terminology?
    Sounds like you are referring to Scott Van Pelt. If so, I agree with you. He actually was pretty good in the past when they were primarily using him to cover golfing events. Now, he's showing his weaknesses on a nightly basis...

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Sounds like you are referring to Scott Van Pelt. If so, I agree with you. He actually was pretty good in the past when they were primarily using him to cover golfing events. Now, he's showing his weaknesses on a nightly basis...
    That's the dude:

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Basically what they told him to do was ape the way local sportscasters around the country try to bring flair to the broadcast. I'm sure they showed him a bunch of tape of some of the better locals around the nation and said "Do this for a national audiance."

Before Berman started with the shtick, everyone played SportsCenter like they were on the "ABC World News Tonight" of Sports.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

It's sad. He's become a caricature of himself. What's worse in my eyes is that the years as a THE "football highlight anchor" have left him so preachy about the game. He, Chris Berman alone, is the caretaker for the NFL. I know the NFL is his livelihood now, but it's ultimately just a game.

And the worst combover I've ever seen. Here's a hint: if you're bald, it's probably not a good idea to keep the curls on your shirt collar, while at the same time pulling the hair above the curls all the way to the front AND over to the one side. Just pitiful.
    Last edited by Crash Davis; 11-07-2005 at 07:29 PM.

Turn Off Ads?