View Poll Results: Fences back at GABP?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

71 49.65%
  • No

72 50.35%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Should the Reds move the fences back?

Re: Should the Reds move the fences back?

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    Ortiz had highest ERA of his career last year (of years with 100+ innings, 5 of those previous to last year).
    Ortiz had an ERA of 5.31 in 430 IP as a starter in 2002-2004 for the Angels. Only the blind didn't see his 2005 coming.

2. Turn Off Ads?

laughable ...... making any point to some of you that doesn't include what you all "believe" to be gospel is a waste of energy.

And then for some of you to make the leap about my point being "disingenuous" is ridiculous. Look in the mirror on that - some of the most "not candid; insincere, calculating" folks I've ever run into I've encountered on this board.

Facts are facts. I have my theories just like you. Just because you don't agree doesn't make them disingenuous or wrong.

It's not a crime by the way to just not post in thread. If you don't like discussing my theory why don't you let it be. Maybe someone else will or it will just get old and drift to the bottom.
    I am still wondering which entity will bear the economic burden within your plan to make GABP more attractive to free agent pitchers...and then where the money will come from to pursue said free agent pitchers.

Facts are facts. I have my theories just like you. Just because you don't agree doesn't make them disingenuous or wrong.
    Yes, facts are facts. The problem is that your theories have little-to-nothing to do with facts. If they did, you'd find that more people would agree with you and that you'd be wrong less. Instead, you continue to position your unsubstantiated opinion as fact and then circle back on it when it suits you.

If you haven't figured it out yet, folks have noticed that all of your "theories" begin and end with faulty premises. You're the king of circular logic.

And yes, when someone points out that a guy like Ramon Ortiz was a pile of poo for multiple seasons before joining the Reds, it IS disingenuous to continue to attempt to use him as someone who suddenly got worse when he donned a Reds uniform.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Stats are misleading!

The old adage is pitching AND defense win championships.....

Improve the defense and you improve the pitching.

And with the Reds, they both could use all the help they can get.

The Reds can't attract any big name FA's (remember Kenny Rogers?) because they would have to financially top the going market price, aka the highest bidder, and they can't even afford the going market price.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but they haven't been able to attract ANY big name, top end starting pitchers for about 15 years now. And most realistically, they haven't attracted a "name" since Seaver.

Look at their history and star pitching just hasn't been an integral part of the Reds saga. A few exceptions though. And that is not about to change this off season.

I am more encouraged by a possible trade. Then, most pitchers, can't refuse to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Milezinni

The Reds can't attract any big name FA's (remember Kenny Rogers?) because they would have to financially top the going market price, aka the highest bidder, and they can't even afford the going market price.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but they haven't been able to attract ANY big name, top end starting pitchers for about 15 years now. And most realistically, they haven't attracted a "name" since Seaver.

Look at their history and star pitching just hasn't been an integral part of the Reds saga. A few exceptions though. And that is not about to change this off season.

I am more encouraged by a possible trade. Then, most pitchers, can't refuse to show up.
    I assume by "attracted" you mean traded for? Rogers had a no-trade clause in his contract and turned down a trade. He was not a Free agent.

Seaver was acquired in a trade as well:
    June 15, 1977: Traded by the New York Mets to the Cincinnati Reds for Pat Zachry, Doug Flynn, Steve Henderson, and Dan Norman.
    So, by those modified conditions, the Reds have not "attracted" top pitching talent since Denny Neagle, or so? Sure. I'll buy that. Of course others might try to convince you that when they "attracted" Ortiz from LAAA they were acquiring the equivalent of top talent, but for the fact that Cincinnati has some mystical ability to make pitchers worse once they get there.

Let's pause 10 seconds for station identification...all along the RedZone Radio Network........

Now back to the Original Question....should fences be moved back....or not...Vote Now!
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Stats are misleading!

No, my point was that the Reds are not attractive to the top tier pitchers, whether it's via FA or trade.
    Rogers was just as obvious example I knew most people would remember.

And Neagle, if I remember correctly, was coming off some kind of injury when he signed here.

No, my point was that the Reds are not attractive to the top tier pitchers, whether it's via FA or trade.
    Rogers was just as obvious example I knew most people would remember.

And Neagle, if I remember correctly, was coming off some kind of injury when he signed here.
    he didn't sign here. We traded for him.

That's true but only to a point. We could have the infield of the 99 Mets here and it would only improve the pitching so much. Unless this improved defense can catch all these balls that are going over the fence, it's not going to help enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I don't know how they can move the fences back at GAB.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

John Smiley says hi.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    That's true but only to a point. We could have the infield of the 99 Mets here and it would only improve the pitching so much. Unless this improved defense can catch all these balls that are going over the fence, it's not going to help enough.
    The rest of the free world recognizes that the human brain has two sides. Yes, we have the "left side" which in the free world processes things in a "linear, sequential, logical etc..etc..." manner. Then in the brains of the free world we have the "right brain" which is a place for less concrete, intuitive, abstract thought. Some how in the evolution of the redszone the poor right brains were overtaken. Evidently they were trampled by strikeouts, errant throws or poisoned by fancy formulas.

You young chip should put out an APB for your lost hemisphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    I don't know how they can move the fences back at GAB.
    Anybody know the distance from home plate to the backstop? I don't think it is very far, but moving home plate backwards might be a possibility. Allowing more distance there would have been a logical move when building the ballpark, not knowing how it would play. It would have at least given them an option.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Anybody know the distance from home plate to the backstop? I don't think it is very far, but moving home plate backwards might be a possibility. Allowing more distance there would have been a logical move when building the ballpark, not knowing how it would play. It would have at least given them an option.
    You can also always raise the height. Combining extending distance a tad and making them higher could be very signicant change...

You can also always raise the height. Combining extending distance a tad and making them higher could be very signicant change...

You talking about raising the fences? Much of the area behind the fence are seating sections.

You would raise the entire outfield seating area? Seats and all? Think about that task.:thumbdown
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?