Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is something wrong with the board?

Is something wrong with the board?

For the past two days, the board does not reflect what is new since I last signed on. Instead, all threads appear to have new posts... all of them!

Is this happening to me only or are any of you having this problem as well?

In addition, because all appear new, the "Read new posts" (that's probably not the exact terminology) button does not accurately locate the new posts.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is something wrong with the board?

I had that same problem yesterday, TB, but it seems OK today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I had to hit the "Mark Forum Read" button a few times yesterday, so yes. Not sure about today, though.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I'm still having the problem today.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I am having the same problem.

I've had it for a couple days. Also, once, I think it was yesterday, in the box that has the last time you visited and the number of private messages, there was a line that said there were 29 new posts since my last visit, and a link to new posts. I only saw it the one time, then it disappeared.

Retired

A few upgrades and tweaks were done yesterday and your cookies probably need to be re-established. Clear your cookies and temp internet files.

I changed the following option (yesterday) from the first option to the second option, as it was necessary to use the second one for another hack:

This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.

1). Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2). Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.
    The Database Read Marking Limit is set to 7 days.

The current system is working as designed for me, but if it's not working for you, you can use the quick links - mark forums as read to mark everything as read when you're done. The way it should work (and is working for me) is that when you read a thread, it's automatically marked as read by changing the icon and unbolding it. If you do NOT want to read a thread, it will remain as unread for 7 days UNLESS you use the "mark forums as read" feature, which will mark everything as read.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    I've had it for a couple days. Also, once, I think it was yesterday, in the box that has the last time you visited and the number of private messages, there was a line that said there were 29 new posts since my last visit, and a link to new posts. I only saw it the one time, then it disappeared.
    I had put that in place but didn't like how it made the display look, so I removed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    A few upgrades and tweaks were done yesterday and your cookies probably need to be re-established. Clear your cookies and temp internet files.
    Don't clear your cookies if you want to log into every other site that has cookies.

I must have 20-30 cookies for sites I use, I sure wouldn't want to have to clear them all because someones's putting racing stripes and a spoiler on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Don't clear your cookies if you want to log into every other site that has cookies.

I must have 20-30 cookies for sites I use, I sure wouldn't want to have to clear them all because someones's putting racing stripes and a spoiler on the board.
    Right, it's not a cookie related problem (but I wouldn't have expected anyone to know that since I didn't announce the change...I thought it'd be seamless.)

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

You can clear cookies for specific sites in the panel if you know what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Right, it's not a cookie related problem (but I wouldn't have expected anyone to know that since I didn't announce the change...I thought it'd be seamless.)
    A good way to refresh the page to the root directory is to hold down the "shift" key and hit reload on your browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    You can clear cookies for specific sites in the panel if you know what you are doing.
    True, but so many don't.

Where do I find the "mark forums as read" option? I don't see it under the edit options in my user CP.

Turn Off Ads?