Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is something wrong with the board?

Retired

Re: Is something wrong with the board?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Where do I find the "mark forums as read" option? I don't see it under the edit options in my user CP.
    It's right on the forum index. http://www.redszone.com/forums/index.php Just above the who's online box, in the center, next to forum leaders.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Or by clicking on the quick links menu (top right of every screen)

Could the seven-day thing be extended to three or four weeks? Occasional visitors and regulars on vacation could be impacted otherwise.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Had the problem yesterday, not today
    Go Gators!

Nothing wrong on the board. But sometimes when I open a new thread, I feel like deja vu all over again (Yogi Berra?), like the topic was discussed a couple years ago. Once was old, is now new again. Except for Rem, he will always be old.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Could the seven-day thing be extended to three or four weeks? Occasional visitors and regulars on vacation could be impacted otherwise.
    I bumped it up to 21 days:

Database Read Marking Limit

With "database read marking", the unread markers on threads and forums are persistent across forum sessions. If a user does not read a thread that is marked as unread, then that thread will remain unread every time the user visits the forum.

This setting allows you to force unread markers to switch to "read" after a so many days. This would be the amount of time after which the user probably has no interest in reading that thread and therefore does not need to know that it contains unread posts.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I have to admit I didn't like this change at first, because it makes the new-post marking work differently than any other message board I've ever used.

I'm only bringing this up because the change has grown on me. I've decided that having unread posts stay unread for 3 weeks worth of future visits is really more intuitive than marking everything read just because it was present during the previous visit. I now read more threads during visits when I have more time and I miss fewer new posts.

So I hope that you leave it like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I have to admit I didn't like this change at first, because it makes the new-post marking work differently than any other message board I've ever used.

I'm only bringing this up because the change has grown on me. I've decided that having unread posts stay unread for 3 weeks worth of future visits is really more intuitive than marking everything read just because it was present during the previous visit. I now read more threads during visits when I have more time and I miss fewer new posts.

So I hope that you leave it like this.
    That's my impression of the change, too. If used properly, it's far more accurate as to what has been read and what has not.

Boss - I've been having the same problem that I talked to you about a few weeks ago.... that once I have signed on and try to respond to a thread, and then hit reply, it brings up the sign on page again and I lose what I tried to lost.

I keep having to go in a clear the cookies, and it's OK for a day or so. I never had to do this before.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Boss - I've been having the same problem that I talked to you about a few weeks ago.... that once I have signed on and try to respond to a thread, and then hit reply, it brings up the sign on page again and I lose what I tried to lost.

I keep having to go in a clear the cookies, and it's OK for a day or so. I never had to do this before.
    I'm not sure what could be the problem if you've cleared your cookies and it continues to happen. Does anyone else have this problem or could someone more savvy than me help GAC out?

Turn Off Ads?