Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History Channel slighted Cincinnati

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

History Channel slighted Cincinnati

Wednesday when I was home recovering from surgery, I watched a lot of the History Channel. On their Modern Marvels program they were talking about bridges, going through history and talking about different bridge designs and who made them. When they got to Suspension Bridges, they mentioned that the first one was built in Europe in the 19th century. Then they went on to talk about Roebbling. They talked about a new design he came up with where he took steel cables and banded them together to make a strong but flexible cable that would support the bridge. Then they went on to say that he built his prototype in New York in 1869, completely ignoring the bridge he completed here in 1865 that was built along the same design. I always thought he built his prototype here to test the design before building the bigger one in Brooklyn. So you see, it's not just the sports media that favors New York over Cincinnati.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: History Channel slighted Cincinnati

Count me among the confused masses. I always thought the Brooklyn bridge came first--and then Roebbling's used its design to build the bridge over the Ohio.

At least that's what Jimmy who used to run the old "Stadium Club" bar and restaurant told me about 15 years ago when I used to frequent his establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Count me among the confused masses. I always thought the Brooklyn bridge came first--and then Roebbling's used its design to build the bridge over the Ohio.
    I think you're right and the bridge here wasn't built till 1869, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

If I remember right there is a big engraving as you cross the bridge that says 1869.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I think you're right and the bridge here wasn't built till 1869, IIRC.
    The bridge here was finished in 1865. There's even a plaque on the bridge with that date. The Brooklyn Bridge was finished 4 years later.

http://www.cincinnati-transit.net/suspension.html

Cincinnati was the first major city in "The West", or what is today known as the Midwest. Its 1850 population of 115,435 ranked sixth in the United States, far ahead of nearby St. Louis (77,860) and Chicago (29,963). Its cross-river neighbors of Covington and Newport were home to 20,000 more residents, and as ferry traffic increased, the necessity of a bridge became apparent. The 1849 charter issued by the state of Ohio required no piers in the river, a length of 1,400ft., and a deck clearance of 112ft. By the time construction started in 1856, a revised charter eased the required length to 1,000ft. and height to 100ft. The ensuing period of construction stretched over a decade, interrupted by financial shortages and the Civil War, during which the city and unfinished bridge were under threat of attack.

The bridge opened to pedestrians in December 1866, and the 1,057ft. main span was at that time the longest in the world, surpassing the Wheeling, WV suspension bridge (1849). Not only was the Cincinnati Suspension Bridge the world's longest, but it was also the first to utilize both vertical suspenders and diagonal stays fanning from either tower. This advance was next seen on the Brooklyn Bridge (also designed by John Roebling), which surpassed the Cincinnati bridge in length and almost every other statistical category in 1883.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    The bridge here was finished in 1865. There's even a plaque on the bridge with that date. The Brooklyn Bridge was finished 4 years later.

http://www.cincinnati-transit.net/suspension.html

Cincinnati was the first major city in "The West", or what is today known as the Midwest. Its 1850 population of 115,435 ranked sixth in the United States, far ahead of nearby St. Louis (77,860) and Chicago (29,963). Its cross-river neighbors of Covington and Newport were home to 20,000 more residents, and as ferry traffic increased, the necessity of a bridge became apparent. The 1849 charter issued by the state of Ohio required no piers in the river, a length of 1,400ft., and a deck clearance of 112ft. By the time construction started in 1856, a revised charter eased the required length to 1,000ft. and height to 100ft. The ensuing period of construction stretched over a decade, interrupted by financial shortages and the Civil War, during which the city and unfinished bridge were under threat of attack.

The bridge opened to pedestrians in December 1866, and the 1,057ft. main span was at that time the longest in the world, surpassing the Wheeling, WV suspension bridge (1849). Not only was the Cincinnati Suspension Bridge the world's longest, but it was also the first to utilize both vertical suspenders and diagonal stays fanning from either tower. This advance was next seen on the Brooklyn Bridge (also designed by John Roebling), which surpassed the Cincinnati bridge in length and almost every other statistical category in 1883.
    Well, I guess that settles it. Blimpie hates it when bartenders lie to him...

Is is possible that the Cincy bridge was finished in 1865, yet "dedicated" in 1869 (hence the plaque that Jaycint was referring to in his post)?

For a Level Playing Field

Wow. I know one thing for sure...

The Great Bridge Controversy pre-dates The Great Radio Controversy!!

Interesting stuff.

p.s. unless ORH's pain medicine is making him delusional!!

Granted, I've only been in Cincinnati a bit over 12 years but everything I've seen states that Roebbling's suspension bridge in Cincinnati was constructed as the prototype for the Brooklyn Bridge.

Ooops, I guess this matter had already been settled. Sorry, I didn't read everything prior to posting. ORH, please set the history channel straight... it is, afterall, their job to get things right!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    p.s. unless ORH's pain medicine is making him delusional!!
    Maybe. I almost submitted my Ramon Ortiz deserved the Cy Young post until the last pill wore off and the pain snapped me back to my senses.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Thanks to Roy for the link. I sent it to the History Channel along with the following message. We'll see if I get any response.

On Wednesday, November 16, your Modern Marvels show was about bridges. It was a really good show, but there was just one mistake. When you mentioned John Roebling and his improvements to the suspension bridge, you mentioned the bridge in New York as the prototype for his new design. In reality, he built the first bridge according to that design over the Ohio River between Cincinnati, Ohio and Covington, KY. That bridge was completed in 1866 and was the prototype he used for the bridge he later built in Brooklyn. I really enjoy most of your programming, but this disappointed me. Since I know you value the quality and accuracy of your programs, I trust that you will address this. Here is a link for some further information. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roebling_Bridge

Thank you,

Real Name

Thanks to Roy for the link. I sent it to the History Channel along with the following message. We'll see if I get any response.

On Wednesday, November 16, your Modern Marvels show was about bridges. It was a really good show, but there was just one mistake. When you mentioned John Roebling and his improvements to the suspension bridge, you mentioned the bridge in New York as the prototype for his new design. In reality, he built the first bridge according to that design over the Ohio River between Cincinnati, Ohio and Covington, KY. That bridge was completed in 1866 and was the prototype he used for the bridge he later built in Brooklyn. I really enjoy most of your programming, but this disappointed me. Since I know you value the quality and accuracy of your programs, I trust that you will address this. Here is a link for some further information. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roebling_Bridge

Thank you,

Real Name
    Man, I wish my folks had given me a cool name like "Real Name." Instead I got stuck with this crappy "*******" name.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Thank you,

Real Name

Their response:

Dear ORH,

You are wrong. Everything important happened in New York City first. You must be on some kind of medication to think that this bridge in Cincinnati was built before the Brooklyn Bridge.

Your pals,
    The History Channel
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I have the show tivod and they did show the Cincy bridge when they were talking about Suspension bridges, you can see Carew tower behind it about 20 mins in, but they didn't mention it was first.

Jerks
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?