Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: OSU-Michigan Prediction Thread

Re: OSU-Michigan Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    Sadly enough they actually do. If they win and Penn St. loses (admittedly a long shot against a rotten Michigan St. team) it would create a 3 way tie for the Big 10 title. Since Michigan would've defeated both Ohio St. and Penn St. they would win the tiebreaker and go. Of course this is all moot since they're not going to beat Ohio St., but for the record it is possible.
    Outstanding point, Danny and a very true one that I had not thought of.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Doesn't speak for "all" fans but they do reflect poorly on the OSU fan base. I could go on because afterall as I said, I graduated from that place. I spent 4 years living with those characters.
    Graduated from there too and came away with a totally different opinion, so I guess that doesn't give yours any more weight than mine

The bottom line to your complaining is that fanatical fans are fanatical fans and usually will do things to harm the reputation of the "fan base" they are a member of. There are fanatical idiots in any fan base that take things way too far, or just use that as an excuse for outrageous behavior against other human beings. OSU has a huge fan base and have won a lot of football games, so that they have a large number of unrealistic, fanatical fans shouldn't surprise you.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

27 20 Buckeyes win. Looking forward to a very entertaining and well-played game.

There are bad (and I mean horrible) fans for about every team around. I know OSU, based on it's size and wide fan-base, has our share (I went to school there too). I had some bad experiences at Michigan State once that admittedly cloud my view also.

I remember being in the stands back when Steve Bellisari was our QB. (this was before his infamous transgression - btw). To hear so many people booing and saying horrible things about the kid out there trying to paly QB for the team they are supposed to eb rooting for just makes my blood boil as hot as it could ever get. (same can be said for the idiotic reaction to Hmaby's drop this year)
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Graduated from there too and came away with a totally different opinion, so I guess that doesn't give yours any more weight than mine

The bottom line to your complaining is that fanatical fans are fanatical fans and usually will do things to harm the reputation of the "fan base" they are a member of. There are fanatical idiots in any fan base that take things way too far, or just use that as an excuse for outrageous behavior against other human beings. OSU has a huge fan base and have won a lot of football games, so that they have a large number of unrealistic, fanatical fans shouldn't surprise you.
    ooops - didn't see your post, tr, before I responded. You said it better!
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

For a Level Playing Field

Ohio State 23 - Michigan 17

The Buckeyes win the Big 11 outright as Penn State gets upset by Michigan State.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    1) Jim Tressel. Hate his style of play...and IIRC he was caught cheating at Youngstown State? I can't stand cheaters.
    Well, I know of an incident at Youngstown where the QB took moeny from a booster. Tressell was cleared of any wrongdoing. That was the only incident that I'm aware of. And searching of the internet yields nothing but chat forums such as this one with people throwing our accusations. I could be wrong on this, so if there's other instances where cheating was alleged at Youngstown I'd be open to reading about them.

And seriously, OBM, if you hate cheating you may as well hate all big time college athletics. OSU has been singled out because of Clarrett. I'm not suggesting they're a squeaky clean program, because I doubt they are. But most people who talk about OSU as such a corrupt program (believe me I hear it a lot here in Ann Arbor) can't give you the slightest bit of evidence other than reputation and stereotypes. I ask what they base they're opinoin on and it begins and ends with Clarrett. They can't go any deeper than that. It seems if people want to accuse the OSU program of being "the most corrupt program in the country" (which I've read more than once), they ought to at least have some evidence beyond Clarrett. Goes to show how much ESPN influences how people perceive a program.

And heck, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it turned out that the OSU football program IS very corrupt. But it WOULD surprise me if most big time programs aren't just as corrupt. It's a pet peeve of mine when a program gets singled out for something pretty much everyone is doing. I'm not condoning anything, but just suggesting we should be honest with ourselves about just how widespread it is.

As for Tressell, I can't stand him as a coach and I'm looking forward to the day when he's no longer the coach at OSU. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he were crooked, but there's not a great deal of credible evidence beyond inuendo that says he is. I just can't stand his coaching style. I think he's incompetent offensively and too stubborn to bring someone in on that side of the ball that knows what he's doing. I think he's been very lucky at OSU. Heck, this season is a HUGE mgiht have been with better coaching. The coaches lost the Texas game and certainly didn't help against Penn State. The sooner he's gone the better, IMO.

2) Arrogant fans. Not talking about the Buckeye fans on here because most of them on this board seem to be very knowledgeable, but the few I know think the Buckeyes are God's gift to earth. They're not.: I know every team has arrogant fans but these guys seem to be on another level.
    Come on, OBM. Find me fans who AREN'T arrogant and then you'll have something. And I live here in Ann Arbor and the overall fans are just as arrogant here as they in Columbus. It's the nature of going through a stretch where they've had success. I have a few friends here from Texas and they exceed any arrogance I've ever come into contact with as far as their football team. Arrogant fans are everywhere.

And I was at the Notre Dame game in the Big House this year and the fans there rooting for Notre Dame were absolutely abused from kickoff to the end of the game. That happens everywhere. Doesn't seem fair to single out one set of fans for something you see almost eveywhere that has a big time program.

So who are you rooting for this week, MWM?
    The Bucks. I just can't shed twenty years of loyalty. But I root for Michigan every other week. My affiliation with the U of M definitely takes the venom out of the Mighigan hating part of being a Buckeye fan. But it's worth it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

White guy here, accepted into a University of Michigan graduate program. And there's plenty of us here as well.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Michigan is very scary for the fact that they have not played thier best game of the season yet. Between Henne/Hart/Avant/Breaston they certainly have the potential to put points on the board. Thier run defense is so-so, so Tony Pittman is a big key for the Buckeyes.

I'm not ready to predict a winner yet, but all I know is it's Michigan Week!! There is no better week throughout the year than Michigan Week!!
    I've got a feeling. I've had it all year long. Ever since the Notre Dame loss. I knew 2 things: 1) Michigan would beat Penn St. 2) Michigan will beat Ohio State.

I knew Michigan would beat Penn St. because I went to the game, and I'm 7-0 when going to games at the Big House, and redsfan30 has addressed the reason I think #2 will happen. This offense has not played their best game of the year. You will see it this Saturday. I still think Michigan's defense will give up yards, and points, but not many TD's, similar to the way they showed up vs Penn St. Michigan is coming into this game with nice momentum and not a lot of pressure, and playing at home.

Final Score:

Michigan 20 (2 FG's, a Manningham TD, and a Breaston rush TD)
    Ohio State 19 (4 FG, and a Gonzalez TD)

Attendance: 108,788.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

MWM,

I do understand the criticism of Tressel and his offensive philosophy. But it is hard to argue with what they have done offensively in the second half of the season, and the only thing that has changed is players gaining experience and confidence.

I was all over Smith in the first half of the year, and he still has shortcomings on the mental side of the game, such as missing reads consistently, but then I have also seen him improve as the offense became more balanced. The same with Tressel and his offensive philosophy. Don't forget that the only two losses were to #2 Texas and probably top 5 now Penn State, who has backed up that game as no fluke. The offense only struggled against PS, who has a great D.

Finally, the thing I like about Tressel's administration is that they seem to improve as the year goes on, which to me is a sign that he and his assistants are coaching up the players year after year. They do not play their best football in September and then bottom out late in the year. Rather, the year builds with anticipation and you see improvement as the year unfolds. You sure didn't see much of that in Cooper's regime, that's for sure.

As for Tressel and the athletic program being crooked, if two in depth investigations didn't reveal pervasive wrongdoing, I'm not sure what would convince folks that, all things considered, they are trying to do things right and taking immediate, voluntary corrective action when wrongdoing is discovered.
    Last edited by traderumor; 11-14-2005 at 01:54 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

You know what they say about opinions...everyone has one. I'm not going to get into weighing anyone's opinion. It is my opinion that OSU fans are some of the most classless in the nation. It is no fun "sharing a sportsbar" with them. I've been with groups watching other games and then the OSU folks spout off about how "golden" their Buckeyes are.

It is my opinion that OSU fans are some of the most classless in the nation.
    That's OK. Uneducated "opinions" are one of America's favorite pastimes. I'm sure you've been all over the nation to share sports bars with most other fans in the country so that you're able to develop such an opinion. Your opinion of Buckeye fans is just as well-informed as your opinon about Michigan admissions policies.
    Last edited by MWM; 11-14-2005 at 03:58 PM.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

It is my opinion that OSU fans are some of the most classless in the nation.
    Maybe some fans, but don't paint us all with that broad brush. There are some stupid Reds fans as well, but that doesn't reflect negatively on the team. Every team has their share of classless fans.

Let's get the discussion back on track guys!

I'll start by changing my prediction to 31-23 Buckeyes (not the last time I'll change it! )

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I predict that the team that scores the most points will win the game. I also accurately predicted that a horse would win the Kentucky Derby. I'm never wrong.

But it is hard to argue with what they have done offensively in the second half of the season, and the only thing that has changed is players gaining experience and confidence.
    They've done what they always do, run all over bad defenses and do nothing against good ones. The last time they played a good defense was Penn State and they didn't put a single point on the board in the second half. That's bad. Michigan State, Indiana, Northwestern, Iowas....all bad defenses. Michigan's is OK, but better than those four. But I think it's all about play calling for the BUckeye offense. If they let the offense actually play, they'll be fine. But they seem to always open things up against MIchigan, I'm optimistic. Ohio State SHOULD win, but they should have also beat Texas, and probably should have won against Penn State.

Turn Off Ads?