Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: OSU-Michigan Prediction Thread

Re: OSU-Michigan Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27
    Not that I'm condoing car burning or anything..but it was 9 cars..not 100. Also of the people that were arrested after that more than half of them were not Ohio State students.
    There were no riots after the Miami game. That could have had to do with the fact that school wasn't in...but still no riots.
    The article I quoted said 100 street fires. It mentioned nothing of 9 cars. Where did you get the number 9 from?

Sorry you feel so defensive about "trashing" your school. As you've seen, I'm just posting the facts. Don't take it personally. Facts are facts.

So what if only half of them were OSU students? That's still too many. The article stated that the fires were set by OSU fans which is what I am referring to...some of those fans are students and some aren't.

And no, parties don't turn out this violent at all big schools.
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 11-15-2005 at 07:39 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Steppenwolf?

They broke up 34 years ago GAC.
    John Kay toured smaller clubs with a makeshift Steppenwolf for quite some time in the 70's and 80's.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Just a small nit...

It was called the Agora. I spent many a misbegotten hour there in my college days.
    Knowing my "days" back then, it was a wonder I remembered to get that close!

And to date myself, I saw Bob Seger there about 50 times before he got big (at least for a while). Saw tons of bands there (Blue Oyster Cult, Todd Rundgren, NRPS, the Dead, Genesis, Roland Kirk, Bruce Springsteen, Miles Davis, James Gang, the Nuge, MC5, blah blah).
    Yep. Bob Seger also played just north of here at Indian Lake quite a bit before he finally hit it.

The Agora also brought a little known band called AC/DC to this country and helped to give them exposure.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    That Columbus after the game is different now as opposed to then?
    They've changed High Street alot since "then". I think the city, in conjunction with OSU, has clamped down somewhat and alot of the bars (not all) have been closed down. I'm not saying it's still not a popular hangout on a Friday or Saturday night; but I've heard, since it's been years since I've frequented there (married, settled down, and all that) that it's not at the level it once was.

for the record, Bucknuts public board is in no way an accurate cross section of Buckeye fandom. Check their pay board for more even-handed, realistic fans. Or, go to buckeyeplanet.com.

Still no comment on the urine balloons the PSU fans were throwing on OSU fans at PSU this year? That's as bad as I have seen for 'class' from fans. Wisconsin does pretty well with throwing batteries at players and such from what I have read as well. Street riots can happen anywhere. The problems have been as much non-students in that regard than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    The article I quoted said 100 street fires. It mentioned nothing of 9 cars. Where did you get the number 9 from?

Sorry you feel so defensive about "trashing" your school. As you've seen, I'm just posting the facts. Don't take it personally. Facts are facts.
    And no, parties don't turn out this violent at all big schools.
    But according to you, they only seem to turn out at OSU. You seem to be oblivious to what has been going on around this country for the last several years. And not just at the collegiate level, but also the professional.

This "celebratory rioting" has been happening all around this country on many school campuses, and also among the fans of professional sports teams.

No one condones it. But to attempt to single out OSU, and it's fans or students, as the worst of the bunch is simply not looking at all the facts. Yes, the incident after that Michigan game did bring shame on the city and school. Bon fires were set, about 45 people were arrested, and about two dozen cars were burned and flipped over..... http://unhinfo.unh.edu/news/news_rel...hronstory.html

But also - Ohio State students were visibly appalled the next day when they saw some of the images on the news. They didn't want their school to be associated with those images, and after the Michigan game it led students to implement a more stringent student code of conduct. Interestingly, the campus and community experienced only a few minor isolated incidents after the Buckeyes won the national championship a month later, though the game was played in Tempe, Arizona.

So it is gonna take an effort by the student body and the kids themselves to educate and try to stop these actions which embarass their respective school.

But this type of "celebratory rioting" has been going on for the last several years, and is not something peculiar to OSU, but is evident all over.

Just a few examples? .....

- A peculiar thing happened after Texas disposed of the overmatched and drowning Buffaloes 31-7 last weekend in Boulder. The CU students rioted. Now this wasn't Grandma's morning-after-Thanksgiving riot at Wal-Mart. Cars were flipped and smashed. Street signs turned into assault weapons. Bonfires torched the intersection of College and 10th. The S.W.A.T. team arrived just after midnight, and the scantily-clad cheerleaders fled from the riot gear-clad police with stun guns. Oh, and everyone was in costumes. Goofiest riot in history.

- In 2002, rioting occurred after Maryland beat Indiana in the NCAA championship basketball game this week, fans in and near both campuses hurled bottles, launched fireworks, sparked fires and wrecked property, as police officers responded with pepper spray and tear gas.

- In 2004, Iowa State University’s recent VEISHEA celebration escalated into rioting, causing damage that will cost the city of Ames over $40,000, the university revealed to students in a rally event shortly after the disturbances occurred. The damage total includes resources police used to subdue the crowds on campus, including mace, pepper spray and tear gas.

And we have seen spats of riots at such places as Penn State, Wisconsin, and many other campuses of higher learning.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-16-2005 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    How often does Ann Arbor burn down after beating Ohio State?
    Columbus is a city with more than a half million people living in it. Ann Arbor is about five times smaller, even with its student population. I think that has at least something to do with it.

tOSU 38
    UM 14
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Columbus is a city with more than a half million people living in it. Ann Arbor is about five times smaller, even with its student population. I think that has at least something to do with it.

tOSU 38
    UM 14
    I think most of the people in Ann Arbor wouldn't know how to start a fire.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful

tOSU 38
    UM 14
    which if you extrapolate that out, OSU's enrollment at the Columbus branch is half the size of the entire Ann Arbor population?

Future OSU student for sure
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    John Kay toured smaller clubs with a makeshift Steppenwolf for quite some time in the 70's and 80's.

That's your problem not mine.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    That's your problem not mine.
    ?

Last edited by GAC; 03-18-2006 at 04:52 AM.

Newcomers to 'The Game' stunned by intensity of rivalry

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_...v=ap&type=lgns

By RUSTY MILLER, AP Sports Writer
    November 15, 2005

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- In Anthony Schlegel's first two years at Air Force, the Falcons' most intense games were against the other service academies.

But nothing prepared him for the charged atmosphere of playing in his first Michigan-Ohio State game last November.

"Well, there were 105,000 people at this one, and everybody was going crazy," he said, shaking his head. "It was deafening out there."

"It was one of the best experiences I've ever had playing college football," said the native Texan, who transferred to Ohio State after two years at Air Force, and will be in the starting lineup Saturday when the ninth-ranked Buckeyes and No. 17 Wolverines meet for the 102nd time.

Like most top programs, Michigan and Ohio State draw players from several states. As a result, many recruits come in without a feel for the traditions and history of what is commonly called "The Game" in both states.

"For the guys who are going into it for the first time, there are a lot of things that they don't know yet," Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said. "And they're going to find out in a hurry."

Like Schlegel, Michigan's Grant Mason started his college career elsewhere. A Michigan native, he played two seasons at cornerback for Stanford. The spotlight game for the Cardinal was the annual clash with Cal, the "Big Game," which also takes place this Saturday.

"In each one's area, they're big rivalries but I think on a national scale the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry beats all other rivalries," Mason said.

Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk chuckles to himself every year when a freshman comes in who hasn't been a part of the annual showdown with Michigan, and has little knowledge of the game's storied past.

"It's tough to explain to them," Hawk said. "Guys from out of state may have an idea of what it's about, but once you get here it's completely different. I know once I got here I realized how different it was -- and I grew up an hour away from Columbus."

There's no question 'The Game' is bigger in Ohio than in its neighboring state to the north. There are other red-letter days on Michigan's schedule: in-state rival Michigan State, and the annual showdown with Notre Dame.

But Ohio has no real in-state rival and doesn't have an annual nonconference game. There is not an outlet, a distraction, for Ohio State fans who plan weddings and even funerals around when the Buckeyes meet the Wolverines. As a result, one Saturday in November becomes an obsession.

"We hear about it all season," Ohio State defensive tackle Marcus Green said. "People always ask me, 'Who do you have next week?' I'll tell them, 'San Diego State' and they'll say, 'You play good in that game -- and make sure you beat Michigan this year.' And, man, we'll still have five games left!"

Offensive guard Rob Sims said, "It's everything in this state. Everyone talks about Michigan and Ohio State. Every time I drive my car, people see me on the street and say, 'Go get 'em. Go beat Michigan."'

Ohio State wide receiver Santonio Holmes grew up in Belle Glade, Fla., 90 minutes from Miami. In one of the Sunshine State's two big rivalries, he favored Florida State rather than Miami's Hurricanes.

"Up until the time I came here, I never thought about playing against Michigan," he said.

Preparing for his third game against the Wolverines, it is clear that he has become indoctrinated.

"This is what you live and die for," he said.

Despite those words, The Game does not seem to have nearly the edge and the enmity it did when Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler were growling and prowling on the sidelines in the 1970s.

Michigan owned the series while John Cooper was Ohio State's coach, going 10-2-1. Since Jim Tressel has taken over the Buckeyes, Ohio State has won three of four. There are occasional but infrequent complaints of visiting fans being verbally abused, but for the most part times have changed.

After all, Hayes hated Michigan so much that he refused to even say the word. And legend has it that he once pushed his car across the state line rather than to have to buy gas in "that state up north," as he called it.

With so many people watching one game so closely, the contest churns out heroes and goats. Under that big of a microscope, no one could blame the newcomers for being jittery.

"The moment for me when I began to understand the intensity of this rivalry was my sophomore year," Michigan senior wide receiver Carl Tabb said. "That was actually the first time in my life (when) I was completely nervous."

He wasn't the first. He won't be the last.

Well, it's later in the week and I'm ready to make my predictions.

I've tried to look at this game objectively. I've tried to take my alliences to The Ohio State University away. This game is always impossible to pick for the fact that you always have to expect the unexpected.

I keep coming back to two things: Ohio State's fantastic defense, and it's fast emerging offense.

The Silver Bullets have shut down many quarterbacks this season who came in as "threats" but left Columbus as a loser (save Vince Young). They do a very good job of shutting down an opponents running game, and Mike Hart and the Michigan running attack is vital to Michigan's chances. Michigan's passing game matched up with Ohio State's pass defense worries me a bit, but I don't think Michigan will be able to exploit that enough.

This is by far the best defense Ohio State will have gone up against during the 5 game winning streak (4 of those games scoring 40+ points). The Buckeyes will not put up 40+ on the Wolverine defense, especially at the Big House. I believe there is one gigantic key for the Buckeye offense, and his name is Antonio Pittman. This is going to be a physical, Big Ten game and it starts and finishes with the running game for Ohio State. I think if Pittman can crack the 85 yard mark Ohio State wins. If he struggles to get that, Ohio State will struggle. That running game will help set up the now potent passing game with Holmes/Ginn. If the Buckeye offense can get going like it has in past weeks, I just can't see Michigan keeping up.

Ohio State has a heavy advantage in the kicking game with Huston/Trepasso. Garrett Rivas is an adventure in every sense of the word. Extra-points aren't even a sure thing with him. If the game comes down to a last-second fieldgoal, I'd feel much more comfortable with Huston making that kick than I would with Rivas. Ohio State should be able to set the tone as far as field position goes early.

I made these notes as an objective fan yet they still came back positive for my Buckeyes. Here are the phases of the game, and who I think has the advantge.

Rushing game- Slight edge to Michigan with Hart/Grady....but Pittman/Wells is not far behind.

Passing game- With recent play, I've got to give this one to the Buckeyes. Holmes and Ginn have just been too dangerous recently. Michigan's passing game is no slouch, but I've got to give the edge to the Buckeyes.

Rush defense- Ohio State. The front four along with the linebackers are just too much to take for almost any running attack.

Pass defense- I've got to say even on this one. Ohio State's pass defense is not the greatest in the world, but it's not horrible. They play way too soft on the corners, and they give opponents alot of underneath coverage yards. You can pass against Michigan too (don't know much about thier pass defense).

Kicking game- Ohio State. Michigan fans grind thier teeth everytime they see Rivas trot onto the field. Ohio State chalks up 3 points when Huston runs out.

Special teams- SLIGHT edge to Ohio State. Both teams have incredibly dangerous kick returners in Ginn and Breaston. But when you put Holmes back with Ginn, it makes in darn near impossible to kick to them.

Coaching- Even. Both coaches know the importance of this game and will have thier players ready to go.

Intangibles- Michigan. Homefield advantage is huge and they've got it this year. Tressel does have a victory in Ann Arbor though (2001). Michigan is trying to salvage a down year for them and try to stay alive for a BCS bid at the same time.

All things considered I think Ohio State is the better team in this years version of The Game. This Ohio State group knows what it takes to beat Michigan....they know it takes the best effort they possibly have. All this rambling, so here is my score:

Ohio State Buckeys- 27
    Michigan Wolverines- 16
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Turn Off Ads?