Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: WWE wrestler Eddie Guerrero found dead

Re: WWE wrestler Eddie Guerrero found dead

Though he's far from my favorite, Big Show is pretty remarkable for a guy that size. I mean, compare him to other supersized guys like Viscera and he comes off like he's moving at luchador speed.

I also think people forget just how much Andre the Giant sucked in the ring. He was awful. Heck, I'd even say Show's got better workrate and a flashier move set than Hulk Hogan.

He's got a bunch of really cool moves, but he can't use a lot of them because they all look like finishers. When a guy that size hits someone with something big you figure that's the end of the match. Plus, I give him a lifetime pass for the superplex/ring collapse gimmick he worked with Brock Lesnar. It was an amazing spot and any 500-lb. guy who'll go head over heels and land on his back from 10 feet up is all right by me.
    Last edited by M2; 11-21-2005 at 06:29 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Though he's far from my favorite, Big Show is pretty remarkable for a guy that size. I mean, compare him to other supersized guys like Viscera and he comes off like he's moving at luchadore speed.

I also think people forget just how much Andre the Giant sucked in the ring. He was awful. Heck, I'd even say Show's got better workrate and a flashier move set than Hulk Hogan.

He's got a bunch of really cool moves, but he can't use a lot of them because they all look like finishers. When a guy that size hits someone with something big you figure that's the end of the match. Plus, I give him a lifetime pass for the superplex/ring collapse gimmick he worked with Brock Lesnar. It was an amazing spot and any 500-lb. guy who'll go head over heels and land on his back from 10 feet up is all right by me.
    Show's got some charisma too but he doesn't show it much when he's wrestling. When The Rock was hosting SNL a few years ago, Show, Foley and HHH all showed up and did a thing before the monologue. They also were behind The Rock mugging for the camera when he was singing during a sketch. But it doesn't seem to translate well in the ring. Maybe one of the reasons that he isn't as over as Andre was is because he can't be the unstoppable force Andre was because Andre could go from territory to territory at will and didn't ever have to job to anyone. Show's gotta stay in WWE and job to people. Plus when Andre was wrestling, few wrestlers were close to his size. Now there are many wrestlers that are close to Show in heigth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

when Andre first starting wrestling, he was 7'+ and was throwing dropkicks from the top turnbuckle. he was super athletic until he got to about 30 or so.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    when Andre first starting wrestling, he was 7'+ and was throwing dropkicks from the top turnbuckle. he was super athletic until he got to about 30 or so.
    Andre was throwing dropkicks from the top buckle? Holy cats.

I first saw him in the mid-70s and he was ponderous by that time. Then again, he was in his 30s at the time. Maybe he just had old wrestler's skills?

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Maybe he just had old wrestler's skills?
    that's part of it, but when he was 23, he could run a 4.8 40-yard dash. the thing that made him so big and strong and athletic had made him so and lathargic by the time he was 29. add into that major back surgeries at 33 and 35, and then the same thing that made him so huge causing him to grow bigger than his heart could pump. he had to purposley slow down in the ring by the time he was 38 or he stood the real possibility of passing out from lack of oxygen.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

What match did he do a top rope drop kick? I'm not calling you a liar or anything, but I would have to see that to believe it. Plus, I'd really like to see it. My friend has alot of his early matches in Japan, and said he's never heard of it.

its when Andre very first started wrestling. back in France. i don't even know if there is footage. just listening to Heenan (sp) and a few French guys talking about it on a biography on Andre.

Oh okay. Again, I wasn't calling you a liar or anything. That's amazing though.

it's something i would have love to have seen though. can you imagine a guy who's 7'5" with luchadore (or at the very least, Chris Jericho) like agility?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    it's something i would have love to have seen though. can you imagine a guy who's 7'5" with luchadore (or at the very least, Chris Jericho) like agility?
    The online "dirt sheets" in the mid/late 90s widely reported that Paul Wight (then "The Giant") was able to do moonsaults and other top-rope activities but that WCW management was worried about him hurting himself or another wrestler and told him specifically not to do it on live television.

That I'd have liked to see.

And, as an aside, if Jericho would've been 3-4" taller, I firmly believe he would've been the biggest name in wrestling in the 90's/2000s.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Brock Lesnar could do some crazy stuff. He either did a moonsault or one of those weird moonsaults.... Billy Kidman used to do it. Pretty crazy looking. Basically you're facing towards the ring, but you do a back flip. Hard to explain it, so hopefully you know what i'm talking about. He was told to stop doing it though, after he hurt himself (or maybe someone else).

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig
    He was told to stop doing it though, after he hurt himself (or maybe someone else).
    Almost broke his neck doing it at Wrestlemania XXIX.

Brock Lesnar could do some crazy stuff. He either did a moonsault or one of those weird moonsaults.... Billy Kidman used to do it. Pretty crazy looking. Basically you're facing towards the ring, but you do a back flip. Hard to explain it, so hopefully you know what i'm talking about. He was told to stop doing it though, after he hurt himself (or maybe someone else).

Shooting Star Press

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    The online "dirt sheets" in the mid/late 90s widely reported that Paul Wight (then "The Giant") was able to do moonsaults and other top-rope activities but that WCW management was worried about him hurting himself or another wrestler and told him specifically not to do it on live television.

That I'd have liked to see.

That was all worked by Kevin Sullivan, who was the "source" for all that.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Billy Kidman's shooting star press always looked cool -- but I have a deep hated of finishing moves that require either the opponent to be in some sort of "special" position in order to work, such as prone on his back and waiting for the move to hit. There's no mystery as to when it's going to happen.

As a funny Kidman aside -- one of his "signature moves" involved him reversing a powerbomb into a face-buster. Of course, in order for him to get the spot in (and he worked it into every match), his opponent would have to try to powerbomb him. Which resulted in wreslters who NEVER used the move as part of their set to attempt it just so that Kidman could reverse it.

Which, of course, led to Matt's Third Immutable Law of Wrestling: Billy Kidman cannot be powerbombed.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?