Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ISP/Cable Rant

ISP/Cable Rant

[rant]

*I want to start off by saying I acknowledge this is a first world problem.

I just built a new house on two lots in a neighborhood that was started probably ten years ago. Well the building process had its ups and downs, something we expected and others we didn't. For the most part we are very pleased with how the house turned out and moved in almost a month ago. Now I will get to my rant.

A week prior to moving in I decided to start pricing cable/internet companies. The two big ones in my area are TWC and Cincinnati Bell, I didn't exactly want a dish on my house, and regardless of dish or no dish, we needed an ISP to provide internet. My first call was to TWC and got an arrogant salesman who priced the plan and then tried to prod me into committing at the time, I held off and called Cincinnati Bell, found them much more friendly, but a little more expensive and they didn't have the Fox Sports Ohio App that I really wanted. Anyway, I decided to go with TWC, they said they were going to send someone out to my house to see if cable/interment was available and get me hooked up. Our installation was supposed to be done on Dec 6th and to be honest I didn't think there would be any speed bumps in the process. Boy was I wrong.

The first tech who came to my house said that I needed a wire run from the street to my house, I have three utility boxes in the front of my yard that I thought would be fine to do. He said he would put in the work and have it done. Some kind of work was done a week later, running a wire from one of the boxes to my house, another tech showed up, said it was run to the wrong box, I would need a line bored under the street or under a driveway to attach to another box. He said it happens from time to time, that he used to do that work and it could be done rather quickly. After numerous calls to TWC's customer service lines (and a few twitter rants) I was told a crew was going to show up this past Friday, do the drop and bore, and a tech was supposed to show up Sat morning to install cable. I was not confident that TWC would do the needed work, I called Cincinnati Bell just to get a feeling how quickly they could get me cable. Anyway Friday came, at noon, five, and then eight o'clock I called them, I was told they had all day to complete the process, was told that they couldn't get a hold of the crew because it was a contractor, was told they have until eight to show up, and then when I finally called up (after a few drinks) they told me the work wasn't done, but they couldn't tell me why the crew didn't show up. At that point the tech was still slated to show up the next morning and I had a few questions for him, and he pretty much reiterated what the prior two tech said. The night before I decided to schedule Cincinnati Bell in case TWC didn't come through so at least I had that. Anyway after the tech left I called TWC yet again and proceeded to tell them that if I was unable to access cable and internet by today I was going with Cincinnati Bell, I was tired of being lied to and given a run around, in about ten conversations I had one person tell me they wanted my business. This rep told me that the process that needed to be done could take upwards of couple of weeks. After I heard that I thanked her for her honesty, told her I was going to Cincinnati Bell, and I would make sure not another dime of my money went towards TWC or any of their future companies.

Cincinnati Bell is now on the clock, I spelled out a number of times what the holdup with TWC had been, and they have assured me that installation would be on 1/3. If Cincinnati Bell doesn't come through I don't know what I will do. Luckily I bought an antenna a few weeks back to watch the Bengals play, but after a month of the antenna, a DVD player, and about it, my family is growing tired of it. You can't stream anything, can't DVR anything, my girls really can't watch anything on our phones because we are burning trough data at a record pace. Heck we can't even cut the cord because we haven't even been given a cord!

At the end of the day, had TWC been truthful with me, explained what had to happen and how long it was going to take, I would have been ok with it. But the constant promises, lies, and run around they gave me have infuriated me.

[/rant]

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: ISP/Cable Rant

That sounds absolutely miserable. Hopefully Cincinnati Bell comes through for you tomorrow and you can join the 21st century.

TWC is the devil. Cincy Bell has been nothing but good to me though.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    TWC is the devil. Cincy Bell has been nothing but good to me though.
    Never had CB, but haven't had many issues with TWC and I/my family has had them since the 90's. I've heard some real stories from both sides though, including a recent one with CB where they put in new lines on my friends street, went door-to-door telling people about their new service and trying to get them hooked up to it. So my friend signed up for the cable/internet package including the gigabit internet. Once it was hooked up it was a bit slow, but he thought it was just his device at first - he was using a rather old computer and was getting a new one in about two months. He got that new computer and low-and-behold, that thing was slow, too. At least when it came to internet things. I mean, it wasn't actually slow, but it was slower than it should be for gigabit internet service. So he called in. After a few minutes it turned out that gigabit wasn't even available where he lived and they had him on the highest tier available in his neighborhood (which literally just got new lines - why weren't they the gigabit ones?) and he was actually using the 30 megabit service, but paying for the gigabit service. They comped his account for several months at that point.

I will also say that the interface that CB has for their DVR/boxes, is straight out of 1999 and terrible. It's not Comcast bad, but it's pretty bad. With that said, if I could get faster internet through them where I live now, I'd do it in a heartbeat. While it doesn't apply to most people, the upload speeds offered by TWC are hilariously slow. I've got the top upload speed they offer - and it's 7 megabits. For most people, that works fine. And really, it does work fine for me too. But, I'd save plenty of time if I had the option that CB offers where I an get 3-4 times that on a mid-tier plan (unfortunately my DL available through them right now where I live would only be 30 compared to my current 50 - so I can't make that trade off).

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I will also say that the interface that CB has for their DVR/boxes, is straight out of 1999 and terrible. It's not Comcast bad, but it's pretty bad. .
    We got the Comcast X1 last year and the interface and functionality on the boxes is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    We got the Comcast X1 last year and the interface and functionality on the boxes is outstanding.
    I will be honest, it's been about 2 years since I last used Comcast (I've never lived where it was an option, but I had friends who did that lived in other areas of the country that I've been on visits). Back then, it was absolutely brutal in terms of how it looked.

Actually quite a few Third World countries have better internet than the United States

I am live! Cincinnati Bell was there for about five hours yesterday hooking everything up. Unfortunately I don't have the fiber optics line on my street, there is a box at the beginning of the hood that has it, but it hasn't made its way down the street. I have yet to really fool around with it. It was nice to turn on the TV, get basketball while I was doing some work in the basement. I can't really tell anything about the internet speed right now. Frankly all I need the internet to do is stream Netflix right now. Maybe a little more once I get the house and basement up to where I want it to be.

The Cincinnati Bell tech was awesome. He was very polite, tried to explain things the best he could, and made sure I had asked him any questions before he took off. Right not I couldn't be happier with the service CB provided, its nice to be hooked up with the internet again.

10. Likes:

dougdirt (01-05-2017),TRF (01-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am live! Cincinnati Bell was there for about five hours yesterday hooking everything up. Unfortunately I don't have the fiber optics line on my street, there is a box at the beginning of the hood that has it, but it hasn't made its way down the street. I have yet to really fool around with it. It was nice to turn on the TV, get basketball while I was doing some work in the basement. I can't really tell anything about the internet speed right now. Frankly all I need the internet to do is stream Netflix right now. Maybe a little more once I get the house and basement up to where I want it to be.

The Cincinnati Bell tech was awesome. He was very polite, tried to explain things the best he could, and made sure I had asked him any questions before he took off. Right not I couldn't be happier with the service CB provided, its nice to be hooked up with the internet again.
    Speedtest.net

Turn Off Ads?