Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: WWE wrestler Eddie Guerrero found dead

WWE wrestler Eddie Guerrero found dead

Very sad and shocking............

MINNEAPOLIS (Nov. 13) - World Wrestling Entertainment superstar Eduardo Gory Guerrero was found dead in his hotel room Sunday morning in Minneapolis, where he was scheduled to appear that evening in a WWE Supershow.

When Guerrero, 38, didn't respond to a wake-up call, hotel security at Minneapolis Marriott City Center and Guerrero's nephew and fellow WWE wrestler, Chavo Guerrero, forced entry into the room shortly after 7 a.m., police said.

The 5-feet-8, 220-pound wrestler was found on the floor. Attempts to revive him were unsuccessful.

There were no apparent signs of foul play or suicide, police said. An autopsy was planned at the Hennepin County medical examiner's office.

He was a featured star on the UPN series "WWE Smackdown!" and son of Mexican wrestler Gory Guerrero.

He is survived by his wife, Vickie, and daughters Shaul, 14; Sherilyn, 9; and Kaylie Marie, 3, according to WWE Web site.

"This is a huge loss," said WWE chairman Vince McMahon. "Eddie was a wonderful, fun-loving human being. Eddie was a consummate performer."

Chavo Guerrero and McMahon said Guerrero was open about his past drug and alcohol abuse but they said he'd been sober for four years.

Guerrero was in the Twin Cities with 60 to 80 other wrestlers to film "Friday Night Smackdown" at the Target Center.

"I know Eddie would want the show to go on," Chavo Guerrero said.

In February 2004, Guerrero became the second wrestler of Hispanic heritage to be WWE champion when he defeated Brock Lesnar, a former University of Minnesota wrestling standout. Guerrero lost the title four months later.

In May 2004, UPN aired the special "Cheating Death, Stealing Life: The Eddie Guerrero Story." The one-hour program chronicled his childhood and his struggle with drug addiction that almost cost him his job, family and life before his recovery and eventual capture of the WWE championship.

Guerrero grew up in El Paso, Texas. He and his three older brothers were all wrestlers

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: WWE wrestler Eddie Guerrero found dead

I saw that on Yahoo. I was surprised but not shocked. Don't know what the cause is yet but only in the wrestling biz to 38 year olds drop dead on an occassional basis. I'll hazard a guess and say it was a heart problem that was the cause of death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Wow!

Sad stuff.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I floored. I was laughing my butt off at his last televised match against KENNEDY. I was looking forward to seeing him team with rey rey at survivor series. man...
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sadly a pro wrestler seems to drop dead about once every six months. For those that don't understand the tolls of steroids and drugs, all they have to do is watch this happen. If I am not mistaken didn't Mr Perfect fall over dead like six months ago, and before that didn't Hawk of Legion of Doom die as well?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    Sadly a pro wrestler seems to drop dead about once every six months. For those that don't understand the tolls of steroids and drugs, all they have to do is watch this happen. If I am not mistaken didn't Mr Perfect fall over dead like six months ago, and before that didn't Hawk of Legion of Doom die as well?
    I believe Mr. Perfect (Curt Hennig) died a few years ago. And Hawk also died a few years ago. I can't think of any who have died recently (within the past year) except for Guerrero. But your point on steroids is well taken. Guerrero may have been clean as a whistle at the time of his death but the past usage - if there was any - took that kind of a toll on his body. I suppose baseball and football players can get away with it since their professions aren't as demanding as pro wrestling is. Now why some wrestlers who admittidly used steroids back in the 80s are still going strong in their 50s and others have dropped dead in their 30s is beyond me.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Maybe the Juice is stronger now. the body can only take so much. If steroids are the reason, and considering how big eddie got after he left WCW it seems possible they are, then that's a shame. Because for all his high flying, it was his personality that kept me coming back. Matt Hardy is a tremendously gifted athlete, and as exciting as moss growing on a boulder..
    Last edited by TRF; 01-27-2006 at 02:57 PM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

got alil captain in u?

yea he was pretty cut im guessing roids or some growth hormone was the cause eddie was always a funny guy in the ring and his classis line we lie we cheat we steal was a great intro musci

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Iwhy some wrestlers who admittidly used steroids back in the 80s are still going strong in their 50s and others have dropped dead in their 30s is beyond me.
    For the same reason that some folks can have a two-pack a day smoking habit can live long and productive lives while other folks who smoked far less for a far shorter period of time die far too young. Genetics.

Some folks are genetic freaks and can abuse their bodies seemingly forever with no consequences. Others keel over soon after their abuse begins. I had an uncle that lived to 94 years old who had the aforementioned 'two pack a day' habit from his late teens until the last year of his life. He was still spry and energetic and lived without medical assistance until his last day on this earth. That doesn't mean that folks should assume they'll have the same luck if they follow his habits. Uncle Earnest hit the jackpot in terms of genetics, but he was the exception, not the rule.

I suppose baseball and football players can get away with it since their professions aren't as demanding as pro wrestling is.
    They also don't use anywhere near the same dosages for anywhere near the kind of duration that bodybuilders &/or strength athletes use steroids.

Nobody dies DIRECTLY from steroid usage, they almost always die because of an indirect consequence of their steroid usage. Probably the biggest health risks of steroids is building a physique that far too large for your cardiovascular system to handle. When you pack on all that extra skeletal muscle, the heart has to find a way to pump blood into those muscles, so it gets bigger & stronger in order to meet those needs. While that may sound like a good thing, it often results in hypertension, enlarged ventricles, and hypertophy-occluded valves. That, in turn, leads to young men like Guerrero having a heart attack while still in his 30s.

Speaking as someone that spends a LOT of time in the gym I can definitely say that I have seen the bad side effects that this crap has on people who use it. Everything from acne to hair loss to liver and kidney problems, the list goes on and on. The sad thing is the vast majority of guys I know that use them don't do it for some sort of added competitive advantage; they do it for vanity. They think that the bigger they are the more women will flock to them. Funny thing is that some of them have really great personalities that I would suspect more women would be attracted to than the guy with the 24" guns.

I gotta admit, the temptation to take the easy route is very real and very big. When you work your butt off and gain 6 pounds of muscle in four months and the guy next to you packs on 25-30 in that same time span it can be disheartening. In my case though the thought of ever leaving this earth early and not getting to watch my son grow up is the quick reality check that I need.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook
    Nobody dies DIRECTLY from steroid usage, they almost always die because of an indirect consequence of their steroid usage. Probably the biggest health risks of steroids is building a physique that far too large for your cardiovascular system to handle. When you pack on all that extra skeletal muscle, the heart has to find a way to pump blood into those muscles, so it gets bigger & stronger in order to meet those needs. While that may sound like a good thing, it often results in hypertension, enlarged ventricles, and hypertophy-occluded valves. That, in turn, leads to young men like Guerrero having a heart attack while still in his 30s.
    Oh yeah. That's what I'm saying. These guys die because of enlarged hearts or whatever and stuff like that happens.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Oh yeah. That's what I'm saying. These guys die because of enlarged hearts or whatever and stuff like that happens.
    And as it turns out, an enlarged heart is exactly what got Guerrero.

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/ne...?news_id=13077

Got to figure the Minneapolis coroner is running tox tests. If they find some sort of designer steroid in his system, and blown up as Eddie was it's hard to imagine they wouldn't, how does John McCain not drag the WWE in front of Congressional committees and demand the business clean itself up? Wrestlers openly flaunt their 'roids abuse, putting it on display for the world to see, and they play to a younger audience. Someone's got to rein them in.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    And as it turns out, an enlarged heart is exactly what got Guerrero.

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/ne...?news_id=13077

Got to figure the Minneapolis coroner is running tox tests. If they find some sort of designer steroid in his system, and blown up as Eddie was it's hard to imagine they wouldn't, how does John McCain not drag the WWE in front of Congressional committees and demand the business clean itself up? Wrestlers openly flaunt their 'roids abuse, putting it on display for the world to see, and they play to a younger audience. Someone's got to rein them in.
    Surprise, surprise. At the risk of sounding naive, it's possible he was using years ago and hasn't used for a while and the effects just manifested itself the other day. Kind of like how you can still get lung cancer or emphysema even though you haven't smoked for years. But Congress will not get involved in this because McMahon won't let them. He'll start a testing policy - if there isn't one already in place - that will keep Congress out of the WWE's hair. Problem is that wrestling isn't like baseball or football. If a baseball player or football player tests positive they are fined and/or suspended. They can't ply their trade elsewhere. If a WWE wrestler is fired he can always go work for another organization. It may not be on TV as much as WWE is - or at all for that matter - but it's still wrestling.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

As jakked as Guerrero's been the past year, especially this past spring, I'm relatively sure he was using big time this calendar year.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?