Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: WWE wrestler Eddie Guerrero found dead

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Re: WWE wrestler Eddie Guerrero found dead

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    And as it turns out, an enlarged heart is exactly what got Guerrero.

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/ne...?news_id=13077

Got to figure the Minneapolis coroner is running tox tests. If they find some sort of designer steroid in his system, and blown up as Eddie was it's hard to imagine they wouldn't, how does John McCain not drag the WWE in front of Congressional committees and demand the business clean itself up? Wrestlers openly flaunt their 'roids abuse, putting it on display for the world to see, and they play to a younger audience. Someone's got to rein them in.
    While your point is well taken regarding the youth of america watching this stuff, i doubt the WWF , E whatever is going before congress anytime soon. I think part of the reason, a big part, why congress has gotten involved in Baseball, football, etc is that they are competitive sports. Pro Wrestling is a show, acting with athletics.

If Congress goea fter the WWE, it has to go after Hollywood, the music business, etc. I dont thik they want to go there (nor should they).
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

2. Turn Off Ads?

As jakked as Guerrero's been the past year, especially this past spring, I'm relatively sure he was using big time this calendar year.
    I really haven't watched it too much lately so I'll take your word for it. But from what I have seen over the past few years he sure was a lot bigger than he was in WCW. Too bad cause he was a fine wrestler both in the ring and on the mic. And I'm not buying that his enlarged heart was from the schedule and the alcohol and drug abuse. If his wife really believes that she's delusional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Actually, charges were brought against Vince McMahon in 1994 concerning steroid distribution (he was found not guilty). Hulk Hogan even got called in to testify against him. With that history, the lion's share of the wrestling market and Guerrero's death, I think Congress would be drawing a bullseye on the WWE.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Actually, charges were brought against Vince McMahon in 1994 concerning steroid distribution (he was found not guilty). Hulk Hogan even got called in to testify against him. With that history, the lion's share of the wrestling market and Guerrero's death, I think Congress would be drawing a bullseye on the WWE.
    Yeah, I'm aware of all that history but as I said it's tough to police the whole industry. For every WWE or TNA there's a little bitty wrestling business in Price Hill or Evendale that may draw 100 fans for a show if they are lucky. Unless someone else is footing the bill you're going to have a tough time getting these organizations to test their wrestlers. If they do and the wrestlers don't want to be tested they can always go somewhere else where they don't test. It's not like most of these wrestlers are clean and then all of a sudden they go to the WWE and start juicing.

Vince McMahon didn't get to where he is by being stupid. I'd be shocked if he doesn't institute a strong(er) steroid testing program. He doesn't want Congress poking around in his business. And that will get any Congressional heat off their backs but it does nothing for any other wrestling organization.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Doesn't reallly matter if circuits don't police the 'roids so long as the major outlets have a zero tolerance policy. The problem right now is if you're a good, young 220-lb wrestler, you know you've got to get on the juice and bulk up to 260+ in order to play with the big boys.

If the industry leaders stamp this stuff out then it would be fairly pointless to do it for the vast majority of wrestlers. As it is now, it's an industry imperative. Plus, I'm sure the current Congress would buy into the efficacy of a trickle down policy.

Doesn't reallly matter if circuits don't police the 'roids so long as the major outlets have a zero tolerance policy. The problem right now is if you're a good, young 220-lb wrestler, you know you've got to get on the juice and bulk up to 260+ in order to play with the big boys.

If the industry leaders stamp this stuff out then it would be fairly pointless to do it for the vast majority of wrestlers. As it is now, it's an industry imperative. Plus, I'm sure the current Congress would buy into the efficacy of a trickle down policy.
    Not necessarily. Let's say some kid wants to be a wrestler and he starts wrestling on the local circuits and he starts juicing (steroids not cutting himself since the terms are synomymous). The kid improves and circuits higher up on the food chain want him to wrestle for them. So higher and higher he goes until he gets a call form the WWE. All of a sudden he can't juice anymore. He starts dropping weight and he isn't as cut as he was when he first got the call. The fans start losing interest and if he isn't a good worker he's going to be a jobber or he's going to get let go.

Just as in baseball a trickle down theory isn't going to work as well as people think. A lot of minor leaguers will do whatever it takes to get to the big leagues and that includes steroids. Now minor league baseball has more stringent testing than the majors but if there weren't testing at all you'd see these kids increase their power and MLB teams are going to turn a blind eye to the possibility of steroids. Kid makes it to the Show and now he has to stop juicing. Brandon Larson was rumored to have done steroids to increase his power. Whatever happened, it worked and he got to play in the majors. He didn't stick but that isn't the point. People are going to do whatever they need to do to acheive their goal. Now when they get there they may not be able to do what they did to get there anymore but they might stick around anyway.

Another thing to consider is a reason Congress got so involved in this was fans were in an uproar about it. They didn't want to see Barry Bonds and his huge head hitting all those home runs. They saw how big he got so they felt he was on steroids and that's bad. Wrestling fans don't care that much if the wrestlers use steroids. Sure they care when an Eddie Guerrero or a Curt Hennig dies but nobody is up in arms that Triple H is champion because he took steroids. Sure some may taunt wrestlers with a steroids chant but most fans just accept it and move on. They can always rationalize it by saying Eddie Guerrero was a drug abuser and a boozer and that's the reason he died.

Wrestling can survive just fine without steroids. But until fans stop packing arenas and watching TV shows and pay per views with these wrestlers on it, nothing real is going to happen. The WWE may have a testing policy but it may be enforced selectively or it may be executed haphazardly. On occassion a wrestler will be fired for a positive test but it may just be a mid-carder or a jobber.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Eddy had many other substence abuse problems over the years, so it could have been any number of things that got him.

I haven't watched the show for a few years now, but I've been an Eddy Gurerrero fan since at least 1994 when I first saw him (under a hood) during the Best of the Super J tourney from Japan (the year Benoit went over the Great Sasuke).

*sigh*

Chip, I'd argue that in general the goal involves both getting there and staying there. If you know you can't keep the 'roids going all the way to WWE stardom then it's probably a waste of your time and money. I sincerely doubt you'll find too many people who have the goal of being of short-term jobber.

As it stands right now, there's little chance of ever making a WWE main event unless you go on the juice. The industry standard currently has a chemical cocktail coursing through its veins. Change the industry standard and it takes away the belief that this is what you've got to do in order to live your dream.

And weren't you the guy who argued a while back that fans aren't really in uproar about steroids in baseball? I thought you were dead-on with that take. Fans flocked to parks in record numbers to see 'roid ball. Congress made an issue out of it because that's sometimes what Congress does.

All I'm saying is that if Congress really cares about the issue of steroids abuse in society, and it might not, then the WWE should look like a giant bug light to our elected officials.

Looks like the WWE has decided to get out front of the coroner's toxology report (another WWE wrestler collapsed in hotel lobby last week due to painkiller abuse - and I'm not talking about listening to too much Judas Priest).

From WWE.com:

In a joint meeting today with the RAW and SmackDown rosters in the United Kingdom, in Sheffield, Vince McMahon announced that within the next several weeks, a new drug testing policy will be implemented in which performance enhancing drugs, such as steroids, etc., recreational drugs, as well as abuse of prescription drugs will be banned.

In addition to the new drug testing procedure, there will also be an emphasis on cardiovascular examinations.

The specifics of the drug policy will be announced over the next several weeks. More details to follow. Check with WWE.com for the latest information.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

In a joint meeting today with the RAW and SmackDown rosters in the United Kingdom, in Sheffield, Vince McMahon announced that within the next several weeks, a new drug testing policy will be implemented in which performance enhancing drugs, such as steroids, etc., recreational drugs, as well as abuse of prescription drugs will be banned.
    I give them...3 or 4 weeks tops before they starting working an angle where a "Top WWE Superstar" is under investigation by the feds for juicing and it results in someone getting stripped of a title belt based on forged evidence.

Too bad this steroid stuff didn't break about 5 years ago, this would've been a perfect way to have had Stephanie McMahon turn on Triple-H when they were "married."

And, incidentally, if anyone out there ever thinks that 'Roids are going out of the WWE, I've got a bridge to sell you. Vince McMahon has always been enfatuated with the "muscalar giant" champions... it's why the ECW guys, aside from Mick Foley, nearly always washed out when they went from Philly to New York.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I agree this likely isn't going to clean up the WWE's act. Unless the results will be made public and the testing will include HGH and new-age performance enhancers then this is mostly show.

And you're right that this would make a great work.

Do you think Vince will subject himself to "testing" too?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    And, incidentally, if anyone out there ever thinks that 'Roids are going out of the WWE, I've got a bridge to sell you. Vince McMahon has always been enfatuated with the "muscalar giant" champions... it's why the ECW guys, aside from Mick Foley, nearly always washed out when they went from Philly to New York.
    I agree with you there, Caveat. They may crack down for a while but rest assured they will eventually start looking the other way unless it serves their interests. Mick wasn't the only ECW guy to do well in the WWE. Stone Cold, Eddie, Benoit and even Jericho, IIRC, were in ECW for a while. You actually have to do more than know how to take a bump to get over in the WWE.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I agree with you there, Caveat. They may crack down for a while but rest assured they will eventually start looking the other way unless it serves their interests. Mick wasn't the only ECW guy to do well in the WWE. Stone Cold, Eddie, Benoit and even Jericho, IIRC, were in ECW for a while. You actually have to do more than know how to take a bump to get over in the WWE.
    Eddie, Benoit and Jericho all were big names in WCW before jumping to WWE. Stone Cold is an odd case because he was a nobody even when he was with ECW (and WCW).

There were a lot of ECW guys to do well in WWE for various lengths of time... The Dudleys were a pretty big draw for a while there, Rhyno had a decent push for a spell, even Tajiri got in on the act a little.

Oh, and if taking a bump in ECW gets you put over, being a giant in WWE seems to be enough for them to give you an endless string of chances. They've kept Paul Wight (The Big Show) around forever, and he's just a giant lump of goo at this point. Kane got a monster push despite having no mic skills whatsoever.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Oh, and if taking a bump in ECW gets you put over, being a giant in WWE seems to be enough for them to give you an endless string of chances. They've kept Paul Wight (The Big Show) around forever, and he's just a giant lump of goo at this point. Kane got a monster push despite having no mic skills whatsoever.
    Can't argue with you there. If you're a big guy and can actually work a match just a little bit, Vince will push you. But he does push guys who are not only big but very tall - something steroids really can't help you with.

ECW was a really nice story for a while. It wasn't just guys taking bumps - although that helped get a lot of guys over that would never gotten over anywhere else. You know who I thought might really be a star someplace besides ECW was Stevie Richards. He was pretty good wrestling and mic wise in ECW but can't really get over in the WWE.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?