Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: WWE wrestler Eddie Guerrero found dead

Re: WWE wrestler Eddie Guerrero found dead

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Billy Kidman's shooting star press always looked cool -- but I have a deep hated of finishing moves that require either the opponent to be in some sort of "special" position in order to work, such as prone on his back and waiting for the move to hit. There's no mystery as to when it's going to happen.
    Most finishing moves fit that criteria. Sometimes it's a specific position in the ring, sometimes it's the kick to the gut setup, other times it's the dazed rise to your feet.

That last one's getting overused these days. What makes it even worse is the entire arena starts calling for the move, so if the target had a working set of ears he should know that now is the time to roll out of the ring in order to avoid the finisher.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Most finishing moves fit that criteria. Sometimes it's a specific position in the ring, sometimes it's the kick to the gut setup, other times it's the dazed rise to your feet.

That last one's getting overused these days. What makes it even worse is the entire arena starts calling for the move, so if the target had a working set of ears he should know that now is the time to roll out of the ring in order to avoid the finisher.
    I always preferred Jake the Snake's DDT as a finising move. He'd pull that out of nowhere.

In fact, Jake was one of my favorite wrestlers. The man was a friggin' genius with a mic in his hand. It's really a pity that he ended up strung out.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by M2

Yeah, kind of like Shawn Michaels' Superkick a.k.a. Sweet Chin Music. He just stands in one corner and stomps his foot like he's trying to put out a fire and then he lands it. It's a good finisher but there's no need to telegraph it so much. I always thought the DDT was a great finisher before ECW ruined it. The Stone Cold Stunner's a good one too except just like Michaels Austin telegraphs it with the kick to the gut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2

By far the worst offender of all was the finishing move that Buff Bagwell used, the "Blockbuster" which required not only the dazed rise to the feet, but also that the dazed rise NEAR the turnbuckle that Buff happened to be standing on.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I always preferred Jake the Snake's DDT as a finising move. He'd pull that out of nowhere.
    I always liked finishing moves that fit two criteria.

(1) They could come out of nowhere
    (2) They were somewhat rooted in reality

Moves like the Shamrock heelhook, the Backlund/Benoit crossface, or any of the variety of sleeper holds always caught my attention.

Hulkster's Leg Drop was the worst.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook

Moves like the Shamrock heelhook, the Backlund/Benoit crossface, or any of the variety of sleeper holds always caught my attention.
    I'd amend that. It should result in a pinfall ASAP so a manager or another wrestler can break it up or the wrestler can squirm to the ropes. That's why Jake's (Also one of my favorites) DDT was so good. It could come out of nowhere (Until he started telegraphing it by twirling his finger in the air) it was based in reality and he could apply the move and pin the other guy before anyone could interfere.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

The Rock's elbow was the worst. Yeah it always followed the rock bottom, but still he runs over the guy twice whilst the guy lays there and then stops, dances a little, then drops a standing elbow and gets a pin.

And I love the Rock, but horrible finishing move.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Bringing this back to Eddie for a sec, His (and RVD's) frog splash was a great move, because it didn't matter where in the ring you were when he hit it. Eddie would nail you perfectly.

Overused finishers:
    • The 619
    • any choke slam
    • Sweet Chin Music
    • The pedigree
    • RKO
    • Clothesline from Hell

It's the reason I love watching Benoit work. He'll pull out a sharpshooter, or the crossface. He'll do the occasional Figure Four. And I swear he has the best knife edge chop on the planet, though Paul Wight's slap looks pretty good too.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Bringing this back to Eddie for a sec, His (and RVD's) frog splash was a great move, because it didn't matter where in the ring you were when he hit it. Eddie would nail you perfectly.
    Agreed.

I haven't watched much wrestling since the Monday night wars, and with Pride/UFC now available on basic cable, I can watch the real thing without spending $30 bucks a pop. However, I did tune in to watch the WWE shows this week to catch the Eddie tributes, and after watching Chavo's hideous frog splash on Thursday, I gained a new respect for Eddie's ability to hit that move dead-center every time.

RIP Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    By far the worst offender of all was the finishing move that Buff Bagwell used, the "Blockbuster" which required not only the dazed rise to the feet, but also that the dazed rise NEAR the turnbuckle that Buff happened to be standing on.
    Probably the most difficult set up at the moment belongs to Mr. Kennedy. Basically he's got to catch someone climbing the corner and get them on his shoulders in order to hit the steamroller.

Mind you, I'm loving Kennedy and the move is pretty damn cool, but you have to suspend your disbelief to think that he can hit it in every match.

My personal favorite finisher is Spanky's Sliced Bread #2. He can whip it out from any tie up near the ropes and it's totally believable that it would knock cold a bigger man. And it's wicked awesome to watch.

Diamond Dallas Page did a real nice job selling the Diamond-Cutter-from-anywhere concept back in the mid-90s.

The Lionsault's a personal fave for me. It's a quick aerial. One of the problems with most splashes is that it takes some guys an eternity to get up the ropes. RVD's quick rope mount is something more wrestlers should be trying to lift. Anyway, Jericho only needs a small window to nail a Lionsault.

I also like collision finishers, even if I'm no great fan of collision finisher wrestlers. The Clothesline from Hell and Monty Brown's Pounce are great explosive finishers. Not surprisingly those two moves take advantage of their football skills, but without the contrived setup required for a spear.
    Last edited by M2; 11-24-2005 at 12:24 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook
    Agreed.

I haven't watched much wrestling since the Monday night wars, and with Pride/UFC now available on basic cable, I can watch the real thing without spending $30 bucks a pop. However, I did tune in to watch the WWE shows this week to catch the Eddie tributes, and after watching Chavo's hideous frog splash on Thursday, I gained a new respect for Eddie's ability to hit that move dead-center every time.

RIP Eddie
    Well, in Chavo's defense (I always thought Chavo deserved a big push. good, not great mic skills, has a lot of Eddie's love/hate power over the fans. And right now he's loved.) Smackdown is taped on Tuesday I believe. I'm thinking he had other things on his mind. I thought his match with Bradshaw was a real nice tribute. especially hitting the Three Amigos.

Petey Williams Canadian Destroyer may be the single most impressive looking move ever. Requires a bit of help from your opponent, but it is lightning fast.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

For a Level Playing Field

Came across this while looking for something completely different today. It made me think of the this topic from a couple months ago.

http://prowrestling.about.com/od/wha...lersdeaths.htm

Wrestling's Dirty Secret
    From Eric Cohen

While many people think of wrestling as a big joke, there is one thing about wrestling that isn't funny. The death rate among wrestlers is alarmingly high. The only time this story was covered by the national media was on HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumble. That segment features the only man that can do something about the problem, Vince McMahon, mocking the interviewer and slapping the notes from his hands. In addition, the only wrestler to speak up for the wrestlers, Roddy Piper, was fired after the piece aired.

Drug Usage
    While the outcomes of the matches are pre-determined, the effort to put on those matches takes a huge toll on their bodies. The wrestlers are on the road over 300 days a year and unlike other athletes, they do not have an off season. In addition, accidents do happen and injuries occur. Unfortunately, if wrestlers take time off, their wallets will suffer significantly. These factors all lead to the deadly slope that many wrestlers have found themselves facing. They get addicted to pain killers to numb the pain. This medicine keeps them too lethargic to wrestle, so they take drugs to get high. This deadly mixture leads to illegal drug dependency that many wrestlers have to cope with even after they retire.

Large Bodies
    In the 90's, the WWE faced a major steroid scandal. While they claim to test for steroids, it is obvious to the casual viewer that many of the wrestlers are taking something to get their physiques to look like they do. In today's environment, a wrestler must carry either an enormous amount of muscle or a tremendous amount of fat to give him the larger than life size needed to be successful in the business. That extra weight, whether muscle or fat, makes the heart work harder than it must.

Accidents and Old Age
    Not all the wrestlers die due to the reasons stated above. Some die due to travel related incidents because of all the time on the road. Some have even died as a result of injuries suffered in the ring. Unfortunately, the least common way that wrestlers seem to be dying is due to old age.

How bad is the problem?
    The list below only includes wrestlers that have appeared on national TV and were stars. Imagine if this many baseball players died at such an early age. There would be congressional hearings. Yet because it is wrestlers, no one cares. The one man that should care once interviewed a widow the night after her husband died and asked her on live TV how she planned to support her children.

Famous Wrestlers That Have Died in the Past 20 Years Before the Age of 65
    Chris Von Erich - 21
    Mike Von Erich - 23
    The Renegade - 23
    Louie Spiccoli - 27
    Art Barr - 28
    Gino Hernandez - 29
    Jay Youngblood - 30
    Rick McGraw - 30
    Joey Marella - 30
    Ed Gatner - 31
    Buzz Sawyer - 32
    Crash Holly - 32
    Kerry Von Erich - 33
    D.J. Peterson - 33
    Eddie Gilbert - 33
    Owen Hart - 33
    Chris Candido - 33
    Adrian Adonis - 34
    Gary Albright - 34
    Bobby Duncum Jr. - 34
    Yokozuna - 34
    Big Dick Dudley - 34
    Brian Pillman - 35
    Marianna Komlos - 35
    Pitbull #2 - 36
    The Wall/Malice - 36
    Leroy Brown - 38
    Mark Curtis - 38
    Eddie Guerrero - 38
    Davey Boy Smith - 39
    Vivian Vachon - 40
    Jeep Swenson - 40
    Brady Boone - 40
    Terry Gordy - 40
    Bertha Faye - 40
    Billy Joe Travis - 40
    Larry Cameron - 41
    Rick Rude - 41
    Randy Anderson - 41
    Bruiser Brody - 42
    Miss Elizabeth - 42
    Big Boss Man - 42
    Ray Candy - 43
    Dino Bravo - 44
    Curt Hennig - 44
    Jerry Blackwell - 45
    Junkyard Dog - 45
    Hercules - 45
    Andre The Giant - 46
    Big John Studd - 46
    Chris Adams - 46
    Mike Davis - 46
    Hawk - 46
    Dick Murdoch - 49
    Jumbo Tsuruta - 49
    Rocco Rock - 49
    Moondog Spot - 51
    Ken Timbs - 53
    Uncle Elmer - 54
    Pez Whatley - 54
    Eddie Graham - 55
    Tarzan Tyler - 55
    Haystacks Calhoun- 55
    Giant Haystacks - 55
    The Spoiler - 56
    Karl Von Hess - 56
    Moondog King - 56
    Gene Anderson - 58
    Dr. Jerry Graham - 58
    Bulldog Brown - 58
    Tony Parisi - 58
    Rufus R. Jones - 60
    Ray Stevens - 60
    Stan Stasiak - 60
    Terry Garvin - 60
    Boris Malenko - 61
    Little Beaver - 61
    Sapphire - 61
    Shohei Baba - 61
    Dick the Bruiser - 62
    Wilbur Snyder - 62
    George Cannon - 62
    Karl Krupp - 62
    Dale Lewis - 62
    Gorilla Monsoon - 62
    Hiro Matsuda - 62
    Bulldog Brower - 63
    Wahoo McDaniel - 63

Miss Elizabeth died at 42? Whoa.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Miss Elizabeth died at 42? Whoa.
    She OD'ed at Lex Luger's house. She was the original wresting diva.

Turn Off Ads?