Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Playing Backyard Football - Full Contact, No Pads ...

Playing Backyard Football - Full Contact, No Pads ...

ORH's thread about breaking some bones standing on a chair inspired this one ...

This past Saturday 16 morons, including myself, decided to get together for a friendly football game because ... well ... perhaps we are fighting the disaster known as aging and it had been awhile since any of us have played any football. Back in high school or just out of high school when we'd play, there would always be some injuries, but they'd always be minor. Maybe a twisted ankle here, some cuts or scrapes there, a couple bruises the next few days, but nothing serious.

That was a few years ago, this is now, and we hadn't played in a few years. Unfortunately it didn't click in anybody's head that full contact football without any pads probably isn't the most intelligent decision, but none of us cared at the time ... we're men, right? Sure, we're men who are also bigger, stronger and hit harder than five years ago, which results in all of us breaking easier. To put it in perspective, I'm an athletic 6' 0"/190lbs, and while I'm not the biggest guy around, I'm certainly not small. But out there on the field, about 2/3 of the guys playing were clearly bigger than I was, some guys weighing as much as 270lbs. One guy probably went about 6' 4"/240lbs, and yes, he was lightning quick. On each play, guys weren't just getting tackled, they were getting anihilated or thrown around like stuffed animals. And with 16 guys playing, we were a full 8 vs. 8 and even had an offensive/defensive line of three guys each.

Yes, we take our football very seriously!

Needless to say, injuries dominated the game. Here's a sampling of the confirmed injury reports that have trickled my way since Saturday: a broken rib, a broken collarbone, a strained neck muscle, a possible sprained ankle, a direct groin shot, two unspecified knee injuries and a full collection of bloody, gory cuts. Considering I only know half the guys that were playing, it's likely more injuries occurred that I'm not aware of.

As far as my status, I'm one of the lucky few who escaped relatively unscathed. I say relatively, because while I look like I got hit by a truck with the scrapes/cuts/bruises, nothing is broken or torn and I can freely move around in one piece. Unfortunately, since it appears all of us are probably a bit too old to be playing full contact backyard football without any pads, that form of recreation for the future will likely only again be played out in loving memories.

BTW, if we get another game going in a few weeks, fellow Zoners are more than welcome to participate
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Playing Backyard Football - Full Contact, No Pads ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    BTW, if we get another game going in a few weeks, fellow Zoners are more than welcome to participate
    I would..but...I kind of like being alive

Go Gators!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    ORH's thread about breaking some bones standing on a chair inspired this one ...

This past Saturday 16 morons, including myself, decided to get together for a friendly football game because ... well ... perhaps we are fighting the disaster known as aging and it had been awhile since any of us have played any football. Back in high school or just out of high school when we'd play, there would always be some injuries, but they'd always be minor. Maybe a twisted ankle here, some cuts or scrapes there, a couple bruises the next few days, but nothing serious.

That was a few years ago, this is now, and we hadn't played in a few years. Unfortunately it didn't click in anybody's head that full contact football without any pads probably isn't the most intelligent decision, but none of us cared at the time ... we're men, right? Sure, we're men who are also bigger, stronger and hit harder than five years ago, which results in all of us breaking easier. To put it in perspective, I'm an athletic 6' 0"/190lbs, and while I'm not the biggest guy around, I'm certainly not small. But out there on the field, about 2/3 of the guys playing were clearly bigger than I was, some guys weighing as much as 270lbs. One guy probably went about 6' 4"/240lbs, and yes, he was lightning quick. On each play, guys weren't just getting tackled, they were getting anihilated or thrown around like stuffed animals. And with 16 guys playing, we were a full 8 vs. 8 and even had an offensive/defensive line of three guys each.

Yes, we take our football very seriously!

Needless to say, injuries dominated the game. Here's a sampling of the confirmed injury reports that have trickled my way since Saturday: a broken rib, a broken collarbone, a strained neck muscle, a possible sprained ankle, a direct groin shot, two unspecified knee injuries and a full collection of bloody, gory cuts. Considering I only know half the guys that were playing, it's likely more injuries occurred that I'm not aware of.

As far as my status, I'm one of the lucky few who escaped relatively unscathed. I say relatively, because while I look like I got hit by a truck with the scrapes/cuts/bruises, nothing is broken or torn and I can freely move around in one piece. Unfortunately, since it appears all of us are probably a bit too old to be playing full contact backyard football without any pads, that form of recreation for the future will likely only again be played out in loving memories.

I can be the kicker. If a return man gets past everyone else, he's gone.

...a direct groin shot.
    How, other than in a grotesque imitation of Burt Reynolds in "The Longest Yard" does that happen?

I used to play football with about twenty other guys. We were all in our early to mid twenties back then. We knocked the heck out of each other, but nothing like that. The perp would've been dogpiled.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Mind having a 6'9" 380 lb former lineman show up.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

Full contact, no pads isn't a good idea at any level. Folks all the way down to pee wee have pads and equipment on and they go through such hassles for a reason. I enjoy compeitive sports as much as the next guy but having to see the orthopedist afterwards is too high a price to pay. Why not play flag football?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    How, other than in a grotesque imitation of Burt Reynolds in "The Longest Yard" does that happen?

I used to play football with about twenty other guys. We were all in our early to mid twenties back then. We knocked the heck out of each other, but nothing like that. The perp would've been dogpiled.
    Entirely accidental.

A defensive lineman jumped up to deflect a pass and was clipped from behind by another defender also jumping for the ball. When he got clipped, he lost his balance in mid-air causing one of his legs to swing out wildly in an attempt to regain balance. The offensive lineman's groin happened to be in the way.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

The only football I play these days in the backyard? I'd have to move the coffee table out on the porch and play the paper-football game. And then hope I do not break a fingernail or something...

The last time I did the full contact thing in the backyard (actually the side of an elementary school), I ended up with a left collarbone that was snapped in two. 1991. I remember (the pain) it well and will not forget it. Nor will I ever allow it to happen again. However, boys will be boys. I do not know of too many adult males who did not play the backyard football thing.

Anyone else call it barnyard football? That was the term that we used to use for the backyard-tackle football thing.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

In high school we played football about once a week without pads or helmets. We even went as far as having captains & making a list of all the players, preranking and then drafting teams. It was cool at first, about 40 people would show up, but then people started getting hurt. Plus, this one guy about 6'1" 210, which isn't huge, but he was the fastest guy at our school, probably the strongest too. All of the good people were spread out evenly, and it took a couple guys to get him down.

Anyway, people got tired of him hurting people. Well, not just him, but just the injuries in general. One play, we were on the same team and went to tackle a guy, not sure what happened but we collided heads. He had a huge bump on his forehead and had to go to the ER, while I just had a small bump on the back of my head and kept playing. All those muscles didn't help him out with my hard head I guess lol

Other injuries: Sprained ankles, broken leg, broken fingers, jammed fingers, bruises, cuts, and I think some guy had his thigh torn or something in his leg torn.

I looked forward to 'backyard' football every week, one of the funnest times of my life.

I haven't played in a few years. We usually played on a decent size field, but not too big. Limited running to once every 4 plays and went at it. One of the guys that played every week is on UC's roster right now as a special teams player, that year he was redshirting. He happened to break my cousins collar bone. Happens.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I got hurt more playing organized football with pads than I ever did playing backyard football and I was always one of the 2-3 biggest guys on the field.

Dislocated left shoulder 3 times including one really nice seperation. Total reconstruction of my right knee. A broken toe, a broken finger and several fairly annoying strains of the groin and hammy.

I have inflicted several gnarly injuries whilst playing backyard ball though.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

While I was still in college, all of the old high school mates used to get together the day after Thanksgiving (we were all on break from different schools) and meet at the local elementary school that had a huge, pristine soccer field.

This became our stadium for the annual "Turkey Bowl" as we called it. Basically, about 15 guys who had no business doing so--would throw their bodies around for a spirited game of tackle football. The games were fun, but were also brutal on aging bodies. Yes, even at age 20, you felt like you were too old to be hit hard without pads.

The days following these games were dreadful: brushing your teeth with two arms supporting your toothbrush, grunting when you get out of bed, chewing with your mouth open because your jaw was sore,...good times indeed.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    While I was still in college, all of the old high school mates used to get together the day after Thanksgiving (we were all on break from different schools) and meet at the local elementary school that had a huge, pristine soccer field.

This became our stadium for the annual "Turkey Bowl" as we called it. Basically, about 15 guys who had no business doing so--would throw their bodies around for a spirited game of tackle football. The games were fun, but were also brutal on aging bodies. Yes, even at age 20, you felt like you were too old to be hit hard without pads.

The days following these games were dreadful: brushing your teeth with two arms supporting your toothbrush, grunting when you get out of bed, chewing with your mouth open because your jaw was sore,...good times indeed.
    We did that in Terrace Park during the 70's for 6 or so years.

Once when I was in my 20's a bunch of my friends and I took on my brother and his HS friends in a game.

They destroyed us, in more ways than one.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I did that in my early 20s a few times. There were two kinds of people, the quick and the dead.

Turn Off Ads?