Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Let the Sweet Lou rumors begin....

I'm tasty AND low in fat!

Re: Let the Sweet Lou rumors begin....

Quote Originally Posted by Milezinni
    Now, going back to the spindoctor.
    I'm a spin doctor? Does that make you "Little Mis[ter] Can't Be Wrong"?

I threw out as an example the 4th out to an inning. But, my point is just as valid to ANY HITTER ON BASE?!? Which was the point I was referring too, nice move on spinning the stats to fit your argument though. You should be a senator, or lawyer.
    I apologize for addressing a direct question in your post. Would you rather I make my own assumptions about what you are trying to say and argue those points? I wasn't trying to spin anything. In fact, I only posted the stats as a point of reference. I suppose I could've left them out completely, but then it would look like I am making blind, blanket statements about the way I believed things to be without any evidence.

And I'd be a terrible senator or lawyer - I'm much too honest. No offense to any senators or lawyers who frequent this board.

In your own example that would mean of the 88 homeruns that Milton, Ortiz, and Hudon gave up this past season, 40 of them had a play right before it that allowed a baserunner.

So how many of those baserunners got on where, and of course it's very speculative, a gold glove calibre solid glove man might have seriously prevented the runner in the first place?
    First of all, would you define what you mean by "right before" because I keep reading it as meaning the play immediately preceeding the home run. Do you mean it that way, or is it any play preceeding a home run?

Secondly, I would be glad to help out with the research on that, but it's quite time consuming, so I'd like it if we can define the parameters of the argument first. Are we trying to find just one instance where this is the case? 10? Can you give me an approximate number where we can reasonably say that a pitcher would have much better results had it not been for the defense?

I'm fine with saying that the defense is lacking, though I think your categorization of EdE is wrong. I'm an advocate of the Reds trying to find cheap defensive help this off season, but not before they try to find pitching help. But my point is that even with better fielding, the pitching is still bad. Milton, Wilson, and Ortiz have been bad with other defenses behind them. And they'll continue to be bad even if the Reds had 8 gold glovers out there.

What was your conclusion......4?!?

How did you come up with that one?
    I don' t have the raw data with me right now, but as I recall, there were 2 errors by Lopez and then maybe 2 or 3 other plays that were not described in the game cast as a line drive or an extra base hit. I thought it was reasonable to assume that if the pitcher had already gotten himself into trouble (a common theme for Hudson), that the fielders couldn't take all of the blame unless they flat out errored. And remember, I was only looking at 2-out homers. Four may not be totally accurate, but I'd feel comfortable saying that it's close to that. As I said, without actually re-watching the games, I don't think we could tell precisely.

2. Turn Off Ads?

but then it would look like I am making blind, blanket statements about the way I believed things to be without any evidence.
    Lord knows that never happens around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesgate24
    Don't forget Lou's team was actually built by Pete. Lou just takes the credit for it!!!
    Spoken like a Rick Pitino fan...

There you guys go again. Pure brilliance.

Okay, for the 127th time. I catch 16-19 Reds games a season on television.
    I catch maybe another 10-12 afternoon games if I am at work.

And I watch every single highlight of every single game on MLB.com, as well as reconstruct what happened, typically play by play, and I read alot of scouting reports.

But that's just the Reds, I actually watch alot more baseball than that.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Did someone say "The Spin Doctors" ????

I've always enjoyed "Jimmy Olsen Blues"
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fs43340
    Did John Franco help the Reds win a World Championship? I think not!
    Sort of....the Reds traded him for Randy Myers

So.... it was the defense and not the pitching. And the offense wasn't really that good.

Wow.

If you got that from watching 16 to 19 games, I suggest you try watching 125 or more Reds games every year, like many of us here do.

'Cause that just ain't gettin' it done, partner.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

If you got that from watching 16 to 19 games, I suggest you try watching 125 or more Reds games every year, like many of us here do.

And anybody who'll put themselves through the torture that is George Grande and Chris Wesh can never be catergorized as anything but a serious and dedicated fan.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    suggest you try watching 125 or more Reds games every year, like many of us here do.
    Oh, come on. You know most of us never watch any games.

Makes all the routine posts.

Pete Rose NEVER built a baseball team. NEVER!!!!!!!
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Pete Rose NEVER built a baseball team. NEVER!!!!!!!
    Guys that build teams usually don't give 237 ab's to 45 year old guys with this line .219/.316/.270.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...511200420/1004
    Reds insider: Sweet Lou would be a nice addition
    Much hinges on new ownership

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

Now that we know Lou Piniella met with the Reds CEO-to-be, we can only guess what they talked about. It's safe to say Lou didn't come to Cincinnati to get Robert Castellini's tips on finding fresh cantaloupe in Tampa.

Piniella is basically a free agent and the biggest name available.

That doesn't mean Castellini wants him to manage. He could bring Piniella in as a consultant or special scout.

Piniella has been mentioned for the Los Angeles Dodgers manager job. But he doesn't seem in a rush to get a job. He just recently negotiated a buyout of his contract with the Tampa Bay Devils Rays.

"I haven't pressed anything. I'll be quite honest with you. I've talked to a couple teams, but I basically haven't pressed anything," he told the Los Angeles Times. "I was going to take it easy for a while. I wouldn't be in a hurry to do anything."

So perhaps a scouting/adviser gig would be appealing. He could work out of Tampa - and remain available if the New York Yankees job opens after next season.

The Piniella situation is like all things Reds these days: We'll know a lot more when Castellini and his partners officially take over.

This might be a small detail, but where and when did we get confirmation that Lou did in fact meet with Castellini? Last I read, his agent said he had met with friends in the same building. I didn't believe that for a minute but was just curious how we skipped a step in this "drama" unfolding...

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    This might be a small detail, but where and when did we get confirmation that Lou did in fact meet with Castellini? Last I read, his agent said he had met with friends in the same building. I didn't believe that for a minute but was just curious how we skipped a step in this "drama" unfolding...
    Lou confirmed he had a meeting with Castellini when he was interviewed by a reporter writing about the LA job.

I don't see Lou taking a consulting or scouting job here, if he returns it will be as manager. It's the quickest way the Castellini can make a good impression with the fans.

There was no link, but a small blurb on left side of front page of the sports section on Nov 18th. Said it was confirmed (written by John Fay), that Lou was in town and DID meet with Castellini..

Turn Off Ads?