Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Let the Hype Begin! Colts/Bengals Thread

Re: Let the Hype Begin! Colts/Bengals Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I believe they moved it to 4:15 because it is supposed to be the national game.
    Correct. It was originally scheduled to be a 1:00 kickoff but CBS asked the two teams to move it to 4:15 so it could be the national double-header game.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Colts, Bengals Just Need Some Bad Blood

By MIKE LOPRESTI, USA TODAY

CINCINNATI — Clearly, this has been a wasted chance at bad blood. The Cincinnati Bengals and Indianapolis Colts really ought to loathe each other a lot more. They are close enough to be mortal enemies. Barely a two-hour drive apart. Just up the road past Miamitown and Batesville and Greensburg. The Colts are the nearest NFL team to the Bengals. The Bengals are the nearest NFL team to the Colts.

Why not a surly I-74 rivalry, then? And yet they rarely meet. Once this century. Sunday will be their first game in Cincinnati in nine years, not counting exhibitions. They had one of those in September and the Bengals won 38-0. The Colts didn't even bother to use most of their starters. Peyton Manning's only action was to jog on the field for the coin toss.

But Sunday is juicy. The Colts at 9-0. The Bengals at 7-2. The possibilities absorbing. Perfection could be ruined, or forwarded. The home team could establish itself as genuine new muscle in the AFC.

"The confidence we would get from that," Cincinnati tackle Levi Jones was saying, "would be unmatched."

So we came Monday to look for any new signs of enmity. It's never too late for distaste. Think of what the Cowboys would be thinking about the Eagles if they had a chance to put a fork in their unbeaten season. Or the Packers and Bears.

Linebacker Brian Simmons. You first. Tell us how vital it is you humble the Colts. Feel free to use unflattering adjectives.

"A lot of people outside this locker room are going to use this to measure us," Simmons said.

But not inside?

"You start looking at (opponents) in different ways, you get out of character. And that's not good."

It is for quotes, but never mind.

Levi Jones. What about this being the biggest week and best players you've faced? That'd be a start.

"Every week is the biggest week," he said. "Every player is the best player."

Time to move along to the quarterback.

"This is just one of the big challenges in front of us," Carson Palmer was saying. "They happen to be 9-0 and a really good football team. But this is just another week for us."

Maybe the coach would be better. Marvin Lewis, relate how this feels like two years ago, when Kansas City came in 9-0, and the Bengals beat the Chiefs, and your regime truly arrived in Cincinnati. Great storyline, huh?

A dozen media in the team meeting room leaned forward to catch the colorful response

Said Lewis, "I don't remember Kansas City two years ago."

Oh. Well, how about how big Sunday is to the Bengals' identity...

"It's as big as (Baltimore) last week," Lewis said. "Every week we play is a new identity check for us, because it gets proposed in this room. We set that tempo every Monday and Wednesday, and then we go out and try to answer it.

"I don't care what your team is, unless you've been Super Bowl champions, you're trying to establish yourself each and every week."

No fire. No brimstone. Typical Lewis.

"You guys expecting something different today?" he said.

One chance left. Chad Johnson. He'll say anything about anybody. Take off those headphones a second, could you, Chad?

Wave a few verbal red flags at the Colts.

But all Johnson did was shake his head.

"I can't guarantee until Wednesday," he said.

Guarantee? Guarantee? That'd be delightful. It'd also drive Marvin Lewis up the nearest elm tree.

"No better way to tick him off than a guarantee," Johnson said.

But then he put his headphones back on. Nothing else to say Monday. And a neighborhood feud still waits to be inflamed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    First you demand more money to post here. Then you tell us Drew Rosenhaus is your agent. Now you are a Browns fan?

Go away!

just saying....

But I'm finding myself converting to the Bengals, if for no other reason than the fact that they get more coverage here, so it's easier to follow them.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    But I'm finding myself converting to the Bengals, if for no other reason than the fact that they get more coverage here, so it's easier to follow them.
    Well ok, I can accept that. My wife was a Braves fan until I converted her.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

James worries me more than Peyton tearing the defense apart. Its no secret that the key to beating the Bengals is to run and run hard. The run defense has improved somewhat, but Edge will be too much im afraid.

But im pulling for the upset, so 24-17 Bengals.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Man Pills

I still think the Colts are more sizzle than steak.

Bengals 34

Colts 24

(Again, I have no personal attachment to the Bengals--but they are a fiendishly resilient team--only a healthy Pittsburgh is better, IMO).

I'm not sold on the Colts defense yet. They have not played one balanced offense. The Rams gave them a scare but once Bulger was knocked out of the game their offense was pathetic.

While the Bengals defense has to slow down/contain Edge, they are great at forcing turnovers which are a great equalizer.

I say Bengals win 31-27. WHO DEY!

FWIW, three of the four "experts" at Yahoo! Sports are picking the Colts, and 72% of Yahoo! users are picking them, as well. Looks like the Bengals are still the Rodney Dangerfields of the NFL.

Tony Kornheiser was interviewing Ron Jaworski on PTI and asked him "Which team poses a bigger threat to the Colts, the Steelers or the Broncos?" No mention at all of the Bengals.

Is there any need to even play the game if it is already assured that the Colts are going to win it? Based on what I'm hearing and reading, the Texans had just as good a shot playing AT Indy last week as the Bengals to playing AT HOME.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

The Bengals have two problems right now. Lack of a pass rush and a porous run defense. Both things Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James can exploit. As past games against New England have shown, you can rattle Peyton. But you have to pressure him in order to do that. If you can get a good pass rush you can dominate even the best QBs. The Bengals are going to have the home field advantage and a lot of emotion on their side. That might help for a while but it may not be enough to win. I think the Bengals offense can score against the Colts if they don't shoot themselves in the foot like they did earlier in the season. Special teams may be a turning point here. Perhaps the Bengals best hope is a bad weather day - snow, rain, wind. That will slow Peyton down but it might reduce the game to a battle of running backs and the Edge (pun intended) goes to Indy because of the Bengals poor run defense. I want the Bengals to win even though I'm not a Bengals fan but I'm afraid the Colts will win.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Good points, Chip. As offended as I am that so many are picking the Colts, I can certainly see why they are. They have lived off defensive turnovers, and that is all that has saved them at times. Forcing Manning to throw INTs won't be nearly as easy as forcing them from Culpepper, that Bears QB, and others. It is the lack of the forced turnovers that scares me, because the defense is certainly vulnerable otherwise.

As for the weather, they're calling for 50 degrees and a 30% chance of a few showers, so it sounds like that won't be much help.

On another Bengals-related topic, they're lucky they got the Bears and Vikings when they did. Both are much better now than when the Bengals played them.

And one more point: as much as people have bashed the Bengals' strength of schedule (it ranks 25th of 32), the Colts schedule ranks dead last at #32 of 32. Pittsburgh's is 23rd.
    Last edited by macro; 11-16-2005 at 02:17 PM.

Phil Simms article at NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9045259

Welcome to the Jungle

By Phil Simms
    Special to NFL.com

(Nov. 15, 2005) -The atmosphere in Cincinnati this weekend, where the 7-2 Bengals will host the 9-0 Colts, will be like the atmosphere around two college football teams playing for the national championship. No, scratch that. It will be even bigger than that, because this game will be at one team's home stadium. It will be like Ohio State traveling to Ann Arbor this weekend to play Michigan in the "Big House."

The fans and players in Cincinnati will be at a fever pitch about trying to derail the undefeated Indianapolis Colts.

I know this is the NFL, and people think "atmosphere" is not as big a deal in the pros as it is in college. But there are a small handful of cases where it might be bigger in the NFL. Very seldom in the regular season do you get what I call these "extreme moments" in the NFL, but when they arrive, it's big. And we've seen this from the Bengals a couple of times in recent years.

Marvin Lewis and his Bengals are getting used to big games.
    It was a year ago when the Bengals made their first appearance on Monday Night Football in 12 years. Cincinnati was 1-4 going into that game against the 5-1 Broncos. Paul Brown Stadium set a new attendance record that night, and the rabid fans were rewarded with a 23-10 upset victory.

In 2000, the Bengals were 0-6 when they hosted that same Broncos team, and Corey Dillon set a single-game rushing record with 278 yards in a 31-21 shocker.

So the Bengals playing inspired football before an energized home crowd is nothing new. The difference this time is that while the atmosphere will be there, the Bengals have even better players than they did in those previous games -- on both sides of the ball, at almost every position.

I haven't had the chance to see the Cincinnati Bengals in person not this year, not last year, not the year before. And I'm anxious to see them, because I want to see if they truly are capable of going deep into the playoffs and perhaps to the Super Bowl. I would liken it to last year, when the Steelers got on a roll but nobody knew early on if they were for real. I had to see them in person to get a feel as to whether they were more than just a good football team on an emotional run. Indeed, they were a very good football team with very good players. Likewise, I need to see the Bengals in person to make that same kind of conclusion -- win or lose this Sunday.

Of course, they face a Colts team that crossed a major hurdle of its own two weeks ago in Foxboro. Now that the Colts are the only undefeated team in the league, they are starting to understand what it's been like for the New England Patriots every week for the past few years. It's enough to have the pressure of winning because you're a team loaded with stars like Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James and Marvin Harrison and Dwight Freeney. But being undefeated this late in the year, the Colts are now getting a taste of being the marked team every week. It's been like that for the Patriots the last few years. Now that Indianapolis has climbed its in-season mountain of beating New England, the emotion and the pressure will just build each week for the Colts, regardless of who they are playing.

Without getting too heavily into the analysis of the matchup, I'm most interested to see how the Colts' pass rush handles the very good pass protectors on the Cincinnati offensive line. Will the Bengals be able to let their offensive linemen go one-on-one more than most teams can against Freeney and Robert Mathis and that crew? I'm curious to see that.

It will also be interesting to see how the Bengals, who lead the NFL with 20 interceptions, match up against the Colts receivers. Can they just line up and play them? No tricks, just cover them. I think they have a chance. Their cover guys can really run.

The Bengals have had two big tests this season, losing to both Pittsburgh and Jacksonville (isn't it amazing -- they're only called "big tests" if you lose). No, they didn't come up big in those games, but when you're trying to become an elite team in the NFL, sometimes you have to go through those growing pains first.

Just relating my experiences as a player with the Giants, sometimes you have to lose those games so you can say to yourself, "Oh, so that's what it takes to be an elite team." It makes you change your preparation, your thought process, your aspirations. And you find out if you can meet those aspirations.

Those two losses can become a tremendous plus for the Bengals. They have played two physical teams this season in Pittsburgh and Jacksonville. They fell short in both, but they have showed some signs that they might have learned something from those games -- that they need to reach a little higher than they were reaching.

Not that this is a do-or-die game for the Bengals, but I think we'll see if they have a chance to keep elevating themselves to become a big-time factor in the playoffs.

The Bengals have no chance this weekend. I can't imagine a scenario where they actually win. Actually, I think the Colts will have no problem handling the Bengals.

Next year is the Bengals' year.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    The Bengals have no chance this weekend. I can't imagine a scenario where they actually win. Actually, I think the Colts will have no problem handling the Bengals.

The guys who will be wearing the horseshoes on the sides of their helmets this Sunday are humans, right? And the teams they have beaten on the way to looking like world-beaters...

Baltimore (2-7)
    Jacksonville (6-3)
    Cleveland (3-6)
    Tennessee (2-7)
    San Francisco (2-7)
    St Louis (4-5)
    Houston (1-8)
    New England (5-4)
    Houston (1-8)

I see three wins over 2-7 teams and two more wins over a 1-8 team. There are only three respectable teams on that schedule so far, and one of them is 4-5. I'm going to have to see something against better opponents before I annoint them as invincible.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM

Thats all I needed to hear. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I have faith that if there's a way to gameplan against Peyton Manning, Marvin Lewis will be the one to figure it out. I expect a lot of blitzes on passing downs and a lot of containment on running downs. If each player on defense handles their assigment on each and every play with no more than 2 mistakes, the Bengals can and should win because they can keep up with them point-wise.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?