Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If You Could Go Back In Time....

If You Could Go Back In Time....

What event or situation, where you could personally get involved or intervene, would you try to change?.....

We were talking about this at work tonight while on break. Off the top of my head, what came to mind for me?.... I'd be waiting outside the Dakota to tackle Chapman and pistol-whip him.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Re: If You Could Go Back In Time....

9/11
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    What event or situation, where you could personally get involved or intervene, would you try to change?.....

We were talking about this at work tonight while on break. Off the top of my head, what came to mind for me?.... I'd be waiting outside the Dakota to tackle Chapman and pistol-whip him.
    Pretty good choice, GAC.

I think I would go for making sure that Von Stauffenberg's briefcase had ended up under Hitler's chair on July 20, 1944. That might have ended the war by the end of Summer. Instead, we got the Battle of the Bulge.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    9/11
    Someone in the discussion mentioned that, and I asked him how he would accomplish that though? Would there be something you would try to do to point out those hijackers or alert security while they were in the airport? What would you say or do?

Remember - you're from the future, and while you are privy to info that those THEN are not, how would you accomplish your task?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Good question, GAC & nice one, SunDeck. I'd have to go further back though. April 20, 1889 in Braunau, Austria. Adolf Hitler is born. Take the infant from the hospital and drop him in the Inn River which wasn't far from that hospital and watch him sink to the bottom.

Take him out right from the get-go. No art school, no fighting for Germany in WWI, no beer hall putsche, etc. And hopefully none of the other crap that followed.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I believe we had this discussion once, if not, it was on a different board, so I apologize.

Anyway, my ex-wife died a little over two years ago from an overdose of pain killers. She was 33 at the time and had battled her addiction for years.

Anyway, what I would change is to have our son, 6 at the time, be able to say goodbye to her before this happened. I know he misses her terribly but I know one day he will wish he just could have said that goodbye. So do I...
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I was 8 when my grandfather died. Grandma wouldn't let me attend the funeral because she didn't think I was old enough. She wouldn't even let me see him in the hospital toward the end. No closure and no chance to say goodbye. I want to go back and see him in that hospital bed, all wasted away with cancer, give him the hug that only an 8 year old can give his grandpa, tell him that I love him, and say goodbye. Then I want to attend the funeral to have the closure. I have been haunted for the last 28 years by a deep desire to say goodbye to him. It still hurts to this day whenever I think about it.

I also wouldn't mind going back to this past Friday and avoiding the fall off that chair.

If not for the existence of Hitler....

The weekend of July 18, 1969. I would stop Mary Jo Kopechne from getting in the car of a married man (says his wife was too sick to attend this party) who had been drinking and partying most of the night. I would convince her that she should never ride in a car (or drive) with a drunk driver. Then I'd tell her there are bridges with no side-rails to keep a car from plunging into the water if the drunk driver ran off the side of the bridge. And a drunk driver might not attempt to save your life if this happened... he/she might save themself and then hide out (sober up) before reporting the accident. And the drunk might also have a name and be from a place where this name carries enough weight to get them off from the charges that should have been brought forth and allow them to be elected every 6 years.

I'd go back and drive W to Alabama.

I'll go back in time to yesterday and convince myself not to eat that Burito Supreme from Taco Bell. Also pass-on the Mega Million numbers to myself.

I'm not sure if we should merge the threads or not, but this one is similar to this discussion we had back in January...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...highlight=time

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    If not for the existence of Hitler....

The weekend of July 18, 1969. I would stop Mary Jo Kopechne from getting in the car of a married man (says his wife was too sick to attend this party) who had been drinking and partying most of the night. I would convince her that she should never ride in a car (or drive) with a drunk driver. Then I'd tell her there are bridges with no side-rails to keep a car from plunging into the water if the drunk driver ran off the side of the bridge. And a drunk driver might not attempt to save your life if this happened... he/she might save themself and then hide out (sober up) before reporting the accident. And the drunk might also have a name and be from a place where this name carries enough weight to get them off from the charges that should have been brought forth and allow them to be elected every 6 years.

Nice try to keep that post political-free. I'm not buying it. You know the rules RFA so stop trying to break them.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

The Hitler and 9/11 are good choices. Pearl Harbor might be another one. The JFK and RFK and MLK assasinations are likely candidates.

Having said all that, I would think that taking personal action to avert these things might be a hard thing to do. How exactly do you raise the alerts without becoming a suspect yourself?

Pay attention to the open sky

I would try to get Michael Bay a scholarship to film school.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Nice try to keep that post political-free. I'm not buying it. You know the rules RFA so stop trying to break them.
    If drunk driving is a political issue, then so be it and thanks for the warning.

Turn Off Ads?