Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Headscratcher...

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Re: Headscratcher...

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I guess with Koenheiser you had to find him funny, and I didn't. What annoyed me most was his show's ad saying it was "Sports talk that will make you THINK!" I never found it at all intellectual stimulating (but I've never found any sports talk to be such). My perception was that Kornheiser's opinions all seemed to be cliches that didn't really require much introspection into the issues. For example, he's one of the "Quarterback A is better than Quarter B because his team won over the other guy's." Stuff like that annoy's me because it doesn't really dig into the assumptions underlying such an opinion. It's just accepted as truth. But I admit that I'm very biased against about 90% of all sports media these days because I think they're all pretty much brainless. I like Tom Jackson on the NFL. I think he's the best in the business.

Are we talking about the same guy? Tony Kornheiser: balding middle-aged orange Jewish fellow who also hosts PTI?

I find him to be the exact opposite of everything you just said. If you want intellectual stimulation out of sports talk radio, Kornheiser is it. Look no further because you won't get his equivalent elsewhere (though ESPN's late afternoon guy, Erik Kuselius, is much much better than I anticipated). I tune in because you get anything BUT cliches from Kornheiser. Far from brainless, he makes his listeners think. What more could you ask? I think you should give him another shot for a couple of weeks.

Tom Jackson is good. But I do find him to be a bit too much like Howie Long or Mike Ditka where you know exactly which side he is going to come down on in any discussion. I know what T.J. is going to say before he says it. I can't say the same thing about Steve Young.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Different strokes I guess. I don't disagree with you on the rest of sports talk guys, but my perception of Tony is that he's not much different. It could also be PTI spilling over on to my perception of him overall. Because PTI is anything but intellectually stimulating (although I don't mind Mike Wilbon). But that's just me. There are plenty of people who think Tony is the exception. I could be wrong. If I get a chance I'll give him another listen. I do admit that I didn't listen to him over a long period of time. I didn't start listening to him at all until about the last year before he went off the air. So I can't say that I listened to him as much as it sounds like a lot of others have.

So you like Steve Young? I haven't been able to watch Gameday much the past couple of years so I don't really know if he's any good. I have met Steve Young and I do know he's an incredibly intelligent person.
    Last edited by MWM; 11-17-2005 at 08:02 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    I was once a poor lost soul like yourself. But now I listen to Kornheiser every day at work through the magic of the internet:

http://www.sportstalk980.com/lineup/tonykornheiser.html

You have to give your e-mail address, but I've never been spammed (and even if I had, it's well worth it).

He's on every day from 9AM-11, and then they re-air it from 11AM-1PM. It's a Washington DC local station and lot of the talk is geared towards Redskins, Wizards, Nationals, etc., but he still has plenty of national talk and the same cast of characters: Bob Ryan, John "Junior" Feinstein, Wilbon, David Aldridge, Sam Smith, John Riggins, the movie guy, etc.

His best shows, still, are the ones that concentrate on other topics and render sports to the small niche of life that they should and do occupy. He had a very good show right after Hurricane Katrina, and sports played a small part in that. The show he did the day after Mark Felt came out as Deepthroat was absolutely phenomenal. Far and away best radio I've ever heard.
    Crash: You are da man. I had no idea he went back to local DC radio. Once he left ESPN Radio, I thought he was just focusing all of his time on PTI. He still writes his column for the Washington Post, but it is essentially a monthly column at this point.

By the way, PTI is starting to wear thin on me. They (Tony and Wilbon) used to talk about the things they wanted to talk about. Lately, it seems as though they are borrowing many of Sportcenter's speaking points (read: T.O.)
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

It could also be PTI spilling over on to my perception of him overall. Because PTI is anything but intellectually stimulating (although I don't mind Mike Wilbon). But that's just me.
    I was never much of a PTI fan. I guess it's good as far as ESPN television productions go...it's certainly a far sight better than the 21st century version of Sports Center - starring the "Budweiser 6 Pack of Questions" and the "Coors Lite Hot Seat".

But Kornheiser on radio is far superior to the Kornheiser on PTI. He was made for radio...his TV stuff is all schtick and little substance.

There are plenty of people who think Tony is the exception. I could be wrong. If I get a chance I'll give him another listen. I do admit that I didn't listen to him over a long period of time. I didn't start listening to him at all until about the last year before he went off the air. So I can't say that I listened to him as much as it sounds like a lot of others have.
    Give him another shot. If you only caught an episode of "Nothern Exposure" once every year or so, there's a good chance you'll miss out on the best show ever made. But if you happen to catch the "Aurora Borealis" episode or "The Quest" episode, then you're hooked for life.

If you only saw Tim Duncan in Game 6 of the NBA Finals last season, you might think he's a choker. If you've seen him play fairly regularly since he's been in the league, you'd realize he's been the best player in the league for years.

So you like Steve Young? I haven't been able to watch Gameday much the past couple of years so I don't really know if he's any good. I have met Steve Young and I do know he's an incredibly intelligent person.
    Well, Steve Young does have his law degree...which isn't a walk in the park to acquire. He's much better educated than your average sports analysts, and he's very well spoken.

I think out of all of the pre-game analysts, he's the one most likely to weigh all of the factors in a debate before coming up with an answer. It just seems to me like the rest of them all have their minds made up ahead of time and always sit on the same side of the fence.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

But if you happen to catch the "Aurora Borealis" episode or "The Quest" episode,
    I don't like people! You are a person and I don't like people!

I like Crime and Punishment the best myself... but I don't listen to sports radio, though Directv just added XM Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Crash: You are da man. I had no idea he went back to local DC radio. Once he left ESPN Radio, I thought he was just focusing all of his time on PTI. He still writes his column for the Washington Post, but it is essentially a monthly column at this point.

By the way, PTI is starting to wear thin on me. They (Tony and Wilbon) used to talk about the things they wanted to talk about. Lately, it seems as though they are borrowing many of Sportcenter's speaking points (read: T.O.)
    I think he quit ESPN Radio a couple of years ago for several reasons. He's mentioned that he couldn't stand his boss at ESPN Radio and was too often being forced to talk about issues he didn't want to talk about at all. He didn't have the leeway he wanted. And like you mentioned, he was getting into PTI pretty heavily at the time. Then there was the ill-fated attempt at a television sitcom, starring Jason Alexander as Mr. Tony and Theo Huxtable as Wilbon. Just a terrible idea. When that predicatably failed, he came back to DC radio...and he's picked up the Washington Post columnettes on the side.

"PTI Mr. Tony" ain't a patch on "Radio Mr. Tony's" arse.
    Last edited by Crash Davis; 11-18-2005 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I don't like people! You are a person and I don't like people!

I like Crime and Punishment the best myself... but I don't listen to sports radio, though Directv just added XM Radio
    Adam is great, isn't he? Cracks me up everytime.

"You're not ready for crepes, Dave. Why don't you go boil some water or something?"

Adam is great, isn't he? Cracks me up everytime.
    There are many an Adam out here in the woods.

Thanks for the hookup Crash! It was so nice to hear the Mr. Tony of old again today. Without that I never would've known that Cam'ron has his own brand of cognac-based purple punch called Sizzurp on the market. Sports talk at its finest!

Anyone here fortunate enough to have heard the Internet portion of the show back in the earlier ESPN radio days? That was just a blast. It was all the stuff you'd love to hear on the radio but they weren't allowed to say. Great stuff while it lasted.

I've never seen a single episode of Northern Exposure, but I've heard a lot of people say they loved the show. From 1990-1995 I watched next to no TV at all. I was in high school for the the first couple of years and watched probably 2 hours of TV a week. Then from fall 1992 through summer 1994 I didn't even have a TV in the place I lived. So I missed the show.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Speaking of headscratchers, anyone got any good advice on getting rid of an infestation of head lice?
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I've never seen a single episode of Northern Exposure, but I've heard a lot of people say they loved the show. From 1990-1995 I watched next to no TV at all. I was in high school for the the first couple of years and watched probably 2 hours of TV a week. Then from fall 1992 through summer 1994 I didn't even have a TV in the place I lived. So I missed the show.
    Same here. We're probably about the same age then. I think I only saw one or two episodes when it was originally aired, but I caught up to it on the A&E re-runs of the late 90s...and I've been addicted ever since. Before the DVDs began to get released in the last year or so, the re-runs were taken off the air. A&E sold the rights to Hallmark, and I didn't get that channel. I think they were only showing it at 2:00 in the morning on early Monday mornings anyway...and then they stopped showing it altogether.

During that January-Febrauary sports lull, when nothing is on TV and cabin fever sets in, I had to find some copies of that show. Through the internet, I found a guy in Canada who had burned all of the shows and was selling bootlegged copies, so I bought the whole 110 episode set from him (best $300 I ever spent).

It's been a long time coming, but the first 3 seasons have recently been released on DVD in the U.S. I think they had years of haggling over music rights before the DVD could come out. This was one of the first shows to really use music as a regular background for the show. You're introduced to great music on TV all the the time these days, but I think that's partially due to the legacy of Northern Exposure.

Eagerly awaiting Season 4...

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Speaking of headscratchers, anyone got any good advice on getting rid of an infestation of head lice?
    I saw these monkeys once that would pick the lice off one another and eat them. One of those would be a handy pet, as long as you didn't have to return the favor.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    I saw these monkeys once that would pick the lice off one another and eat them. One of those would be a handy pet, as long as you didn't have to return the favor.
    Protein makes the world go round.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Protein makes the world go round.
    I would have to agree with you. The only difference is that I get most of mine from dead animals.

Turn Off Ads?